Is Albury Aussie rules heartland?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're missing my point. I don't have any issue with the Giants trading. I have an issue with exclusive access into what most would consider Aussie rules heartland.
So will you extend this issue to the exclusive access that Victorians now have to the NT talent? NT has always produced exceptional players like the riolis and long. It is extremely heartland.

I work in Albury and travel up to Wagga. I'd agree with the general consensus that Albury is predominantly AFL territory (maybe 90% support, though the locals love all sport) all the way up to Wagga, which is about 50/50 AFL/NRL. Little animosity between the codes though, people can enjoy and support both!

So will you extend this issue to the exclusive access that Victorians now have to the NT talent? NT has always produced exceptional players like the riolis and long. It is extremely heartland.
The Brisbane Bears had exclusive access to any NT player for years and it didn't get them very far. If it ever gets to the point where any one of those five Victorian clubs that are sharing the NT happen to have five Indigenous/multicultural players coming through in the same draft class and in the first/second round then I'll get back to you but I highly doubt we're going to see any of those five clubs benefit greatly from these academies in the way the Giants have.

More than happy to be proven wrong on that one but I just don't see five or more Indigenous/multicultural NT players being drafted in the first round/early second round in any given year. I expect we'll see a few NT players being drafted every few years which I'm fine with. That's why I suggested capping the amount of Riverina players the Giants can draft in any given year.

Last edited:
The Brisbane Bears had exclusive access to any NT player for years and it didn't get them very far. If it ever gets to the point where any one of those five Victorian clubs that are sharing the NT happen to have five Indigenous/multicultural players coming through in the same draft class and in the first/second round then I'll get back to you but I highly doubt we're going to see any of those five clubs benefit greatly from these academies in the way the Giants have.

More than happen to be proven wrong on that one but I just don't see five or more Indigenous/multicultural NT players being draft in the first round/early second round in any given year. I expect we'll see a few NT players being drafted every few years which I'm fine with. That's why I suggested capping the amount of Riverina players the Giants can draft in any given year.

Don't you mean players from Albury?

This thread is about Albury.

No one thought NSW would produce this number of first/second round talent either. I imagine that clubs getting access to a train of Cyril riolis or Michael longs would cause uproar as well

No one thought NSW would produce this number of first/second round talent either. I imagine that clubs getting access to a train of Cyril riolis or Michael longs would cause uproar as well
You could be right. If it comes to the point where the Cats are getting exclusive access to five Cyril Riolis every year just because Darwin is a part of their "zone" then of course I'm going to think that's unfair. I don't anticipate that though.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want to prevent the Giants fostering AFL talent. I think it's great for the game that so many NSW players are being drafted in the early rounds and of course an increased player pool is going to lift the overall standard of the competition but I think getting five or more in one go when you're sitting 4th on the ladder is too much.

You've got teams like Brisbane who are on life support at the moment because of a lack of talent on their list yet we're allowing the team that is sitting in 4th position to have exclusive access to five of the best 25 kids in the country...

You could be right. If it comes to the point where the Cats are getting exclusive access to five Cyril Riolis every year just because Darwin is a part of their "zone" then of course I'm going to think that's unfair. I don't anticipate that though.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want to prevent the Giants fostering AFL talent. I think it's great for the game that so many NSW players are being drafted in the early rounds and of course an increased player pool is going to lift the overall standard of the competition but I think getting five or more in one go when you're sitting 4th on the ladder is too much.

You've got teams like Brisbane who are on life support at the moment because of a lack of talent on their list yet we're allowing the team that is sitting in 4th position to have exclusive access to five of the best 25 kids in the country...
Wether we draft academy boys or not, we were always getting 3 first round players and 2 second round players as we already have the picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So your going to be upset when the next SPS is tied to your wa academy in the Kimberley/Pilbara?

Obviously I wouldn't be just as I'm not upset if my team wins a game from a dodgy free kick.

Doesn't make it not a farce.

Either have a draft or have zones. Not both.

Nice try. Albury is inside the Riverina region. It is completely on-topic.

You're trying to take it off-topic by accusing someone of taking it off-topic.
Maybe the thread title should be changed then, just to suit your argument?

Wether we draft academy boys or not, we were always getting 3 first round players and 2 second round players as we already have the picks.
The problem with that argument is your ability to match picks at a discounted rate. Your pick 14 can (and probably will) be upgraded to a top 10 pick because you have exclusive rights to these players. If St Kilda bid on a GWS academy player with their 10th pick (1395 points) then GWS matches with their 14th pick (1161 points) and the discounted rate (1116 points) means they can do so comfortably without affecting any other picks. In fact, they have 45 points left over which could upgrade another GWS pick even more.

So don't give me this 'we were getting three first rounders regardless' speech.

The problem with that argument is your ability to match picks at a discounted rate. Your pick 14 can (and probably will) be upgraded to a top 10 pick because you have exclusive rights to these players. If St Kilda bid on a GWS academy player with their 10th pick (1395 points) then GWS matches with their 14th pick (1161 points) and the discounted rate (1116 points) means they can do so comfortably without affecting any other picks. In fact, they have 45 points left over which could upgrade another GWS pick even more.

So don't give me this 'we were getting three first rounders regardless' speech.
So is it the discounts your against or Albury?

Can't you be against both? (well, not against Albury itself, just it being considered as being new to football).
I don't consider it new to football. It's part of NSW and the state as a whole has underperformed at the draft considering the population. We got given access to these kids since they were 12/13.

Is it 'unfair'? Yes
Should we take maximum advantage of it while we have it? Absolutely

I don't consider it new to football. It's part of NSW and the state as a whole has underperformed at the draft considering the population. We got given access to these kids since they were 12/13.

Is it 'unfair'? Yes
Should we take maximum advantage of it while we have it? Absolutely

So you agree that it, and the rest of the Riverina, should be removed.

My mothers family is from Albury. I attended Scots School there in yrs 6 and 7. I can confirm that it 100% an Aussie rules city. I don't recall any exposure to Rugby there ever. Footy on the other hand is very very popular.

You're missing my point. I don't have any issue with the Giants trading. I have an issue with exclusive access into what most would consider Aussie rules heartland.
Another issue with the acedemies is that the majority of the sides for which gws have access to are not even AFL NSW affiliated. They are and have always been AFL Victoria affiliated clubs and play TAC with AFL Victoria affiliated clubs.
Majority if the development is Victorian based and $$$ backed.

My mothers family is from Albury. I attended Scots School there in yrs 6 and 7. I can confirm that it 100% an Aussie rules city. I don't recall any exposure to Rugby there ever. Footy on the other hand is very very popular.

So I'll ask (you because I picked your pro-Albury quote at random - but people in general) how many current players on AFL Lists are from Albury?

How many this century?

How many went first round?

How many were a late draft/rookie speculation picks?

What is the most number from Albury in particular (that what this thread is supposed to be about) and from the Riverina in general (because that's what you all want to talk about) that have been drafted in a single year? In a two/three year period?

Albury might (probably is) an AFL town - but how much top-end talent does it actually produce? Has it produced lately?

Another issue with the acedemies is that the majority of the sides for which gws have access to are not even AFL NSW affiliated. They are and have always been AFL Victoria affiliated clubs and play TAC with AFL Victoria affiliated clubs.
Majority if the development is Victorian based and $$$ backed.

First of all - not sure about what you mean when you say "the majority of sides for which GWS have access to...." We have no access to sides of any kind - players yes, but sides? Not so much. So that's a fail to begin with.

Secondly - I never knew that most kids play TAC Cup at the age of 12 and 13 (which is when they start at the academy) so I assume you believe that there's absolutely no development worth squat until you're 17 and playing TAC Cup.

Some (not all - last year it was only 1 of 4, hardly a majority) of our academy kids go off and play TAC Cup for the last year or two of their 5/6 year association with the academy. Our academy coaches keep in contact with them, their school coaches (if they're boarding) and the TAC Cup coaches to make sure certain academy targets are met. The players themselves have duties and responsibilities to the academy which is outside and beyond their TAC Cup playing duties.

So "majority of their development" is NOT Victorian based - not even close.

But hey, never let the facts get in the way of a rubbish narrative.

First of all - not sure about what you mean when you say "the majority of sides for which GWS have access to...." We have no access to sides of any kind - players yes, but sides? Not so much. So that's a fail to begin with.

Secondly - I never knew that most kids play TAC Cup at the age of 12 and 13 (which is when they start at the academy) so I assume you believe that there's absolutely no development worth squat until you're 17 and playing TAC Cup.

Some (not all - last year it was only 1 of 4, hardly a majority) of our academy kids go off and play TAC Cup for the last year or two of their 5/6 year association with the academy. Our academy coaches keep in contact with them, their school coaches (if they're boarding) and the TAC Cup coaches to make sure certain academy targets are met. The players themselves have duties and responsibilities to the academy which is outside and beyond their TAC Cup playing duties.

So "majority of their development" is NOT Victorian based - not even close.

But hey, never let the facts get in the way of a rubbish narrative.
The sides whom the majority of the kids play with are AFL Victoria affiliated . Likewise the majority not only play TAC with Bushrangers ( AFL Victoria) but also schoolboys with Goulbrun Murray or North East ( known as ovens and murray) both AFL Victoria.
As for your arguement re 12-13 most are introduced to football via auskick programs ran by their AFL Victoria affiliated club.
Whilst I assume you are aware the academies didn't commence till 2012 , therefore making the first induction 12-13 still not yet of draftable age . Your claim of GWS developing kids from 12-13 and that influencing acedemy selections to date is a mute point.
The majority of development is AFL Vic, without any doubt at all.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back