Is Alex Rance the best defender in the game today? Is he the best full-back of all-time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Hurley only score a lowly 86... Considering the ball was in Tigers forward half for 75% of the game... Look at inside 50 count..
I know. Dominant inside 50 count yet the scores were level with 10 minutes to go and Essendon led most of the night.

DreamTeam... Rance 97, Hurley 95
FYI, having a high DT score paired with a lower ranking points score isn't a good thing.

I know. Dominant inside 50 count yet the scores were level with 10 minutes to go and Essendon led most of the night.

FYI, having a high DT score paired with a lower ranking points score isn't a good thing.

Well I'm pairing Rance's dominance with our win... is that a good thing?

Do the people who dont rate Rance realise the game has changed and its not a 1v1 battle that it used to be. Rance plays that 1v1 when required, he is also evolved enough to be so much more than a 1v1 defender, he is a goal defender. He stops goals, not just from one player but the opposition in general. That is why he is currently the best.

Sounds like Robbie Tarrant to me.

You can see him next Saturday night.

Has anyone checked on simple jack? no longer the big fish, missing set shots from 25, didn't even kick his junktime goals? but at least you've got the best fullback of all time I guesso_O

Using this game to demonstrate Rances dominance only serves to highlight how much Richmond fans over rate him. He was good but far from a dominant force.

Robbie Tarrants a great defender too
I actually rate Robbie Tarrant higher than Rance. Sure he's less appreciated by media and maybe doesn't look as flashy as Rance but has a hell of a lot more 1 on 1 prowess while still helping out his team mates to a fair degree. Rance reads the play exceptionally well and can intercept probably better than anyone but I've just seen him get beaten 1 on 1 far too easy to consider him the clear best defender in the league. I'm not saying he's bad by any means, clearly in the elite defenders, just I tend to see about 5-6 guys all on roughly the same level with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. I may have a level of bias in this view too in that Rance has been horribly beaten by Adelaide when we've played them the last few times whether playing on Tex, Betts or as a loose man this most recent time so that's when I get the best look at him.

Sounds like Robbie Tarrant to me.

You can see him next Saturday night.
He's a gun no doubt, but when he can do it at that level as long as Rance has let us know;)

I actually rate Robbie Tarrant higher than Rance. Sure he's less appreciated by media and maybe doesn't look as flashy as Rance but has a hell of a lot more 1 on 1 prowess while still helping out his team mates to a fair degree. Rance reads the play exceptionally well and can intercept probably better than anyone but I've just seen him get beaten 1 on 1 far too easy to consider him the clear best defender in the league. I'm not saying he's bad by any means, clearly in the elite defenders, just I tend to see about 5-6 guys all on roughly the same level with slightly different strengths and weaknesses. I may have a level of bias in this view too in that Rance has been horribly beaten by Adelaide when we've played them the last few times whether playing on Tex, Betts or as a loose man this most recent time so that's when I get the best look at him.

Tarrant who?

Is he Rances personal water boy..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tarrant who?

Is he Rances personal water boy..

He's the bloke who plays on the number one forward every week without fail, usually beats them and is also one of the most damaging defenders with ball in hand going around.

Media hype is everything though, so you can basically lock in Rance and Hurley for the two key AA spots.

Tarrant is a good player but he isn't as good as Rance.

This reminds me of the rant from a few North posters claiming Lachie Hansen is be a better forward than Jack Riewoldt a while back. LMAO!!!!!!!!!

All the Rance stuff is hype. He is like a tall quarterback.
So what? He is changing the way a good defender should play. That is a HUGE thing in itself. Players that create a new way of playing a position are once in a lifetime players. Other players in the future will start to copy him. We have had 100 years of many stodgy defensive full backs. He reminds me of North's David Dench who was one of the best FBs ever to play as well but Rance is even better at reading the play.

So what? He is changing the way a good defender should play. That is a HUGE thing in itself. Players that create a new way of playing a position are once in a lifetime players. Other players in the future will start to copy him. We have had 100 years of many stodgy defensive full backs. He reminds me of North's David Dench who was one of the best FBs ever to play as well but Rance is even better at reading the play.

You look at the way Rance played and compare that to directly with Hurley and how he handled the Riewoldt match-up. Which would you rather. A bloke who doesn't always man-up, compared to someone who does and does well at it?

He's a gun no doubt, but when he can do it at that level as long as Rance has let us know;)
The way the media talk you would think Rance has been at elite level for a decade. Has been great since 2014. 2013 he was good (though Waite carved him up in the EF) before that he was just servicable .

All the Rance stuff is hype. He is like a tall quarterback.

rubbish, rance is a superstar

Nicholson.gif

You look at the way Rance played and compare that to directly with Hurley and how he handled the Riewoldt match-up. Which would you rather. A bloke who doesn't always man-up, compared to someone who does and does well at it?
Despite what you say, he is rarely beaten one on one. He is often on much taller opponents too. Apart from last years game in Sydney where the ball was coming down with no pressure, he has one of the best records on Buddy too. One of the few that can match him speed wise. If Riewoldt had kicked straight, you wouldn't be talking up Hurley as much too. Don't take that in the wrong way because I think Hurley is a gun too and was wishing we offered him a fortune when he was shopping himself around. Having both would have made us easily the best defence in the league.

The way the media talk you would think Rance has been at elite level for a decade. Has been great since 2014. 2013 he was good (though Waite carved him up in the EF) before that he was just servicable .
Four years of being elite is pretty handy I would think. He turns 28 later this year so it's not unreasonable to think he could have two more years at this level. That would make six years and more than half his career as a recognised quality backman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back