Remove this Banner Ad

Shoestar

Debutant
May 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Current problems with the draft

Academies, father-sons, free agency compensation and priority picks
Unanimous best prospect greatly encourages tanking (i.e. Harley Reid)
Relatively inflexible current system
Predictability with where top picks are drafted (Callum Twomey rarely gets players wrong in his phantom drafts)

I think that using the IPL Auction format would be more entertaining as draftees are becoming big names in their own right now but more importantly provide for a more equitable competition.

How would it work

All National Combine Invitees will be available to bid on at The Auction
Players are bid on with draft points, instead of cash like in the IPL
Academy and father-son prospects are available at a 20% discount to their aligned club but are available to all clubs
All players not bid on at The Auction or not in the National Combine List are available in the rookie draft

Benefits

Clubs have more flexibility with points instead of draft picks
Tanking for top prospects is less advantageous (pick 1 is worth 3000 points but Harley Reid would likely cost more than that while Aaron Cadman may have cost less)
More unpredictability and excitement as a spectacle
Less compromised by father-sons and academies whilst keeping an advantage for aligned clubs

That’s my thoughts let me know your thoughts on this system.

No academies, or at least consistent rules it's only on picks 40+ for everyone and not just the northern sides
No compensation for free agency
No priority picks
That will clean up the compromised nature of the start of the draft

Keep the draft
Keep father/son bidding

Simples

Oddly enough I have been discussing a points system for a long time, though I am not sure bidding directly on players work as there are something like 3000 people that nominate for the draft.

Plus I can't imagine how awful it would be to have your name come up, start the bidding and no one bids.

I think a blind auction and bidding on picks works better.

So Pick 1 is announced and it is announced bidding is now open, each team puts a value (so each team says what they are prepared to bid) and the player they want.

After 2 minutes it is announced who won the bid (so which team that bid the most for pick 1) and the player they have selected.

Oddly enough I have been discussing a points system for a long time, though I am not sure bidding directly on players work as there are something like 3000 people that nominate for the draft.

Plus I can't imagine how awful it would be to have your name come up, start the bidding and no one bids.

I think a blind auction and bidding on picks works better.

So Pick 1 is announced and it is announced bidding is now open, each team puts a value (so each team says what they are prepared to bid) and the player they want.

After 2 minutes it is announced who won the bid (so which team that bid the most for pick 1) and the player they have selected.

Only National Combine Invitees would be available to be bid on so only 61/3000 who nominate can be picked up through the auction. The number of National combine invitees is generally fairly consistent with the number of draftees so there shouldn’t be too many players there. All unpicked players or players that missed out on National Combine Invite would be available in the rookie draft.

It is a good point about prospects not being bid on being hurt by that though.

Only National Combine Invitees would be available to be bid on so only 61/3000 who nominate can be picked up through the auction. The number of National combine invitees is generally fairly consistent with the number of draftees so there shouldn’t be too many players there. All unpicked players or players that missed out on National Combine Invite would be available in the rookie draft.

It is a good point about prospects not being bid on being hurt by that though.

Yes, it is the difference between a group of girls at a party simply ignoring you and a group of girls at a party specifically coming up to you individually and telling you that never in a million years would they want to go on a date with you.

No academies, or at least consistent rules it's only on picks 40+ for everyone and not just the northern sides
No compensation for free agency
No priority picks
That will clean up the compromised nature of the start of the draft

Keep the draft
Keep father/son bidding

Simples

Would be nice but can’t see the AFL removing it as it helps to grow the game, especially in QLD and NSW

I really like the idea of a points system though, where teams are given points based on ladder position and they also trade using points in the trade period as it means it is far easier for teams to find common ground and have fair value for a player.

Then in the draft those points are used to bid on picks live.

It allows teams to tailor what they want more, so West Coast, even though they have the most points, could basically sit out for a few picks and bid on a pick to get a WA kid.

Would be nice but can’t see the AFL removing it as it helps to grow the game, especially in QLD and NSW

Wouldn't need to remove the academy with a points system.

"Pick 32 - Carlton has won the pick with 312 points and have selected Swans Academy player Lachlan Cleary"

"Sydney have 2 minutes to decide to match the bid"

So Sydney would pay the exact amount Carlton were willing to pay for Cleary assuming Sydney want to match. Sydney have the option to match but they would pay the same amount another club was willing to pay.

The QLD and NSW academies have to stay in some form, they are valuable investments in non-football states. The mechanism for obtaining players via academies is a tricky one to get right, particularly if any of the four northern teams are strong at the time.

But then again the teams need to have an incentive to have an academy.

The QLD and NSW academies have to stay in some form, they are valuable investments in non-football states. The mechanism for obtaining players via academies is a tricky one to get right, particularly if any of the four northern teams are strong at the time.

and I think having a points system and the incentive being the Northern clubs can match a bid is enough, and it is a much fairer system. I doubt too many people would complain about it.

Same deal for F/S players too.

id prefer to just fix the draft we have now. Draft IS the best way to do it as long as its not full of bs to compromise it like it is now.
Pull back northern academy access to pick 20 onward(still gives them a slight advantage for now, I understand it is somewhat necessary for the moment), f/s bids to pick 20 onward, and remove discounts for all bids including f/s.
Easy

No draft, no auction, no academies. Just salary cap and floor, minimum salary, and list size minimum.
No cap exemptions, with points deductions, cap reductions and potentially loss of overpaid player the penalty for overpayments.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No draft, no auction, no academies. Just salary cap and floor, minimum salary, and list size minimum.
No cap exemptions, with points deductions, cap reductions and potentially loss of overpaid player the penalty for overpayments.
GC will never win more than 3 games in a season under those rules.

It allows teams to tailor what they want more, so West Coast, even though they have the most points, could basically sit out for a few picks and bid on a pick to get a WA kid.
Nothing stopping them from picking the WA kid with their first pick.

I've had a similar idea in the past, and yes, I think auctions with points are better. However, instead of the IPL format of presenting each player one by one, I'd put every player up on a grand computer board and each team can bid on players simultaneously from its points total.

As to when an auction is won and players are moved off the board, I can see a few options.

A. players are split into categories based on where professional draft watchers think they should be valued, and different categories close at different times.

B. Players are removed from the board once a certain amount of time has passed since the last bid on them, unless no bids have been placed on them, in which case they'd remain on the board until the end of the draft. The last few players left attracting bids can move to a different format, where once bidding slows, the AFL CEO asks if any more bids are coming and declares the player sold when none are left.

You know what would achieve a massive upswing in talent coming out of nsw and qld would be if the northern clubs are only allowed to draft out of nsw and qld and don't partake in the national draft.

Obviously they could trade as usual, but the swans offered this proposal to the afl a number of years back and it got knocked on the head.

Imagine the 4 clubs could only recruit out of their own zones and set aside a couple of million $ each year for their academies. Their recruiters would be head hunting athletes from other sports and the talent would come flooding through, simply because it has to for those clubs to succeed on field.

Back