Is anybody else bothered by the AFL now cashing in on and glorifying the returning Dons?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that the AFL have them covered.

I mean seriously, I've read heated debates about who's missus at the Brownlow was hotter - simply cause the bloke plays for their club!

Look at the average Essendon fan. They dead set took the entire bait hook, line and sinker and 3 years later are still sprouting the 'weez are de champs!' rubbish without ever questioning where there money is going.

At least with an iPhone, you know what you're getting and most people change model or even brand if a cheaper one that does the same shot comes along.

Just ask Nokia.

But these people don't turn to other entertainment that is free - they stick to forking out $100's each year to feel part of something that doesn't even exist!

The AFL simply have the perfect product and the perfect customers for it.

Of course sport has them covered, my point is that companies such as apple and others use the same cult marketing techniques to elicit brand loyalty.

But as I said above, I highly doubt they'll take that to their graves and hand on the baton to their children!
I wouldn't doubt it. You think that the Apple-loving Dad is going to buy Android gadgets for the kids? Once you're part of the Apple ecosphere, it takes something fairly tectonic to shift you.

I've seen this in action at work. People issued with non-Apple work phones will cling to their personal iPhones (and $100 / mth bills) because they're "just used to the iPhone". So you can have a free phone, or pay $100 / mth to maintain your own iPhone....sounds like a cult to me!

I find it disgusting how glorified the media / afl has made it.

Essendon won't get close to the 8 next year though. They were weak before their players were banned, they will be weak after. Watson was cooked 2 years ago. Most of their players probably won't get back to their best after a year out and all will probably take atleast all of this year, and next pre-season to get upto scratch with the fitness of other AFL sides. So in the end; Essendon will feel the effects of their cheating for years even if the media continues to give them reach-arounds.

I wouldn't doubt it. You think that the Apple-loving Dad is going to buy Android gadgets for the kids? Once you're part of the Apple ecosphere, it takes something fairly tectonic to shift you.

I've seen this in action at work. People issued with non-Apple work phones will cling to their personal iPhones (and $100 / mth bills) because they're "just used to the iPhone". So you can have a free phone, or pay $100 / mth to maintain your own iPhone....sounds like a cult to me!

I have a relative who's an apple tech evangelist, we had a discussion where I argued that apple was just another tech company (and I have an iPhone), he got so worked up I dropped it.

That was 3 years ago and I haven't been invited back. So yes there are tech heads that are quite fanatical.

I reckon we all need to move on, they were found of some breach which still I am not sure what it is and they have served a year suspension. The club was fined 2 million dollars or something like that.

Are you kidding, you are not sure why 34 of their players were suspended for 12 mths ?

I don't even

There are so many reasons why they shouldn't.

But none that are relevant if you believe the AFL's job is to make money.

What i believe is different to what the AFL will do.

The AFL is no longer a true competition, for years they have manipulated the game to ensure certain clubs remain competitive. The Essendon issue is a minor hiccup compared to the cluster * that the rest of the AFL have become, we lost any small bit of integrity that we had years ago

Are you kidding, you are not sure why 34 of their players were suspended for 12 mths ?

I don't even

Well if they have been convicted as drug cheats then why only a year? Others have got far more.
Still to this day no one knows exactly what happened and the players are still to this day saying they are innocent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's so funny to read this sort of stuff (which is absolutely correct) then in the same thread read mind numbing stuff like 'yeah my club is awesome and we're gonna win stuff' etc.

I mean seriously, who goes out each weekend and cheers for Samsung vs. Apple?

Yet people still believe they support a 'club' in a sporting comp.

The AFL just have the perfect product. They sell hope and a sense of belonging, to miserable and bored people who need a distraction.

Even when you read a post like the one I quoted, which so accurately portrays what the AFL is about - people still choose to believe they're part of something over the reality which is right in front of them.

It really is the perfect product.
Footy - The perfect blend of religion and entertainment ....and so here we all are!

Should everybody be angry and hate them forever? Is that the moral thing to do because of the drugs saga?

Go and get stuffed. They've taken their punishment and I welcome them back and am glad the media do too.

They've been on their knees ffs...
I can just imagine the kind of warm welcome Lance Armstrong would get from the media if he made a return.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I can just imagine the kind of warm welcome Lance Armstrong would get from the media if he made a return.
This.

No one is cheering for Ben Johnson to come back. No one is cheering for Lance Armstrong to come back. Look at the reception Justin Gatlin got just a few months ago. You can argue the strength of the analogies, but at the end of the day they've all been busted for taking performance enhancing drugs.

But the #sobrave EFC warriors are being cheered back by a compliant AFL media. It's almost enough to make me choke on my cornflakes. Except it's almost midnight, and no good ever comes from eating cornflakes this late.

What a shock,people still sooking it up about Essendon :rolleyes:
Might be hard for some to handle but they are back so why not advertise it. They've done their punishment after being found guilty on some of the most flimsy evidence imaginable so what's the big deal. Actually hope they win the flag if the doggies don't just to send the foamers into a total head spin.

Sometimes I think people just twiddle their thumbs and sit around and look for reasons to be angry.
This is true and I have become accustomed to it unfortunately but this one is starting to take the cake. How long are people intending to stay angry for? All the people who's heads people called for are gone,the players have been punished but still the complaints come. Hope the Bombers have a huge win in front of a bumper crowd of their impressively loyal fans and send a big up yours to all

Well if they have been convicted as drug cheats then why only a year? Others have got far more.
Still to this day no one knows exactly what happened and the players are still to this day saying they are innocent.
Actually it was two years with backdating. It was the full penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back