Is anybody listening to Triple M in Melbourne's most influential band?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 1, 2001
Exile on Main St
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
For interstaters have a look at www.triplem.com.au follow the links.

This has to be the biggest joke of all time. How some of these bands got they're places is a full on joke.

Today I had to laugh when caller X rang in he said how people shouldn't vote for Grinspoon because they haven't influenced anyone, so Steve Bedwell asked who the caller was voting for and he replied Pearl Jam. No offence to either band (I like them both) but they both haven't really influenced that many bands . This whole competition seems to be quite a joke in my mind, quite funny to listen to it though. Triple M listeners seem to be the most uneducated and stupid people put on this earth. Praise the Lord for the car CD player, oh and other stations!

Originally posted by Sinkers_9
Pearl Jam and Grinspoon were the joke?????

You obviously didn't hear what was number (about) 27

TAXI ****EN RIDE!!!! what a joke, who are these people that vote???

Gotta laugh at some of the choices there.

Linkin Park at 13??? I mean wtf???
Motarace at 23??
28 Days at 30??
Sum 41 ahead of the likes of Lenny Kravitz, Pink Floyd, Clash, DEVO, Dyvinyls.

Who votes for these things?? :confused:

Stocka

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2002
Richmond
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Isn't the singles/albums chart already a continual indication that this sort of view is held by a large section of the mainstream-music-listening community?

sandeano

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Space
Stocka is right.

If Britney Spears sells a truckload of albums then her 'style' (for want of a better word) is what will infulence the music scene for the next few years. Makes no real difference if actual musicians find their inflence elsewhere, it is what sells that the industry takes seriously and will therefore exploit until the cycle wears itself out and a new one can begin.

Docker_Brat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2002
On a park bench
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
puke.gif

It's a ****take obviously! Lifehouse as one of the most important artists of all time?

28 Days in the top 30? They're a fun live band.. but important bands of all time? Sheesh.

Even less credible than Lifehouse....

Linkin Park.

Docker_Brat

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2002
On a park bench
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
At least Talking Heads are in there.. great band IMO.

Was talking with someone the other night about how quickly some people age.. Chris Franz looks ancient these days yet Jerry Harrison still looks the same as 15 years ago (scary).

Richmondfan#1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2000
AFL Club
Richmond
Originally posted by Sinkers_9
Pearl Jam and Grinspoon were the joke?????

You obviously didn't hear what was number (about) 27

TAXI ****EN RIDE!!!! what a joke, who are these people that vote???

You have to laugh at that or you will cry.

Spidergirl~RiCkChiCk

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2000
Hugh Heffner Mansion
i'd like to know why they all play really good stuff on public holidays tho same as the music channels on Foxtel and the other channels on Foxtel. U think of giving it up because of all the same old overrated repetative garb then all of a sudden when everyones home on this day they play all the old faves to win people over again!

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
Originally posted by Leaping Lindner
So would I.
The noise created is better and it is still less painful!

Lucky for us we're too small a market in Darwin for commercial crap like that station............

Adelaide's original MMM was more the real thing...................real music for real people.........:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
Originally posted by dreamkillers
Lucky for us we're too small a market in Darwin for commercial crap like that station............

Adelaide's original MMM was more the real thing...................real music for real people.........:D

And some of their announcers were really good;)
I assume you get Triple J in Darwin DK but what other music stations do you get as a matter of interest?

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
And some of their announcers were really good;)
I assume you get Triple J in Darwin DK but what other music stations do you get as a matter of interest?

I did notice you mentioning that in the other thread........:D

Yep Triple J is up here and of course ABC radio as is in all states/capitals...........other stations include.......

HOT-100FM - our SAFM clone...........
MIX104-FM - like 5AD/5AN used to be and they have the boring John Laws show which goes down well with the rednecks.......

both the above stations operate out of the same set of studios......and I haven't listened to them since my first year up here 6 years ago..........

8DDD - our local ABC station which isn't too bad - helps when the presenters are relatively young compared to ABC stations elsewhere.......

KIK-FM - local dance music station

8KIN-FM - NT aboriginal radio station which has some great music shows - especially real blues.......

and of course the TAB/racing and ethnic radio stations.........

As I said earlier I don't listen to radio too much.........CD's and MP3's are much better...........

Was actually looking through more of the J files and came across a long time favourite......Ed Kuepper.........it was Ed and the original Saints (first 3 albums) that got me into the punk scene musically........

I was only 10 when 'I'm Stranded' was released but for some reason (of which even to this day I have no idea why) my sister bought the album and I remember taking a likeing to it at the time..........4-5 years later when I started to get more interested in music I borrowed the album (and still have it to this day) and also bought 'Eternally Yours' and 'Prehistoric Sounds'.........I was hooked..........

I'm thinking of adding a couple of new threads over the weekend relfecting back on The Saints and Ed who I have followed with great interest since including his other bands The Laughing Clowns (a triple CD compilation is due for release very shortly - being compiled by his brother Wolfgang) and The Aints.

Had the privilege of seeing him play live up here 3 times last year when he headed our Festival - and caught up with him after all 3 shows..........great bloke who does things his way - always has and always will..............

The other thread I was thinking about is continuing on from the J Files list I posted on '70'S PUNK PLAYLIST' and getting people to post stories about some of the live performances and classic albums throughout the year when Punk music was at it's best - my personal favourite will relate to a very interesting PIL concert at Thebby Theatre back in the early 80's.........

PS......Just as I started posting this Rage started with London Calling............:D

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide

Was actually looking through more of the J files and came across a long time favourite......Ed Kuepper.........it was Ed and the original Saints (first 3 albums) that got me into the punk scene musically........

I was only 10 when 'I'm Stranded' was released but for some reason (of which even to this day I have no idea why) my sister bought the album and I remember taking a likeing to it at the time..........4-5 years later when I started to get more interested in music I borrowed the album (and still have it to this day) and also bought 'Eternally Yours' and 'Prehistoric Sounds'.........I was hooked..........

I'm thinking of adding a couple of new threads over the weekend relfecting back on The Saints and Ed who I have followed with great interest since including his other bands The Laughing Clowns (a triple CD compilation is due for release very shortly - being compiled by his brother Wolfgang) and The Aints.

Had the privilege of seeing him play live up here 3 times last year when he headed our Festival - and caught up with him after all 3 shows..........great bloke who does things his way - always has and always will..............

The other thread I was thinking about is continuing on from the J Files list I posted on '70'S PUNK PLAYLIST' and getting people to post stories about some of the live performances and classic albums throughout the year when Punk music was at it's best - my personal favourite will relate to a very interesting PIL concert at Thebby Theatre back in the early 80's.........

PS......Just as I started posting this Rage started with London Calling............:D

There is a good chance that your sister saw "Stranded" on Countdown as they played a bit and I am 99% sure 5AD and 5KA never did. GREAT lp now available on CD for only $10!
I use to go see Ed whenever he came to Adelaide. I stopped going when there were more yuppies than old punks at the gigs(about 1993). Great performer. My fav quote of his was at one LeRox gig when introducing "Swing for the crime" he said "This is a song I wrote with a fat Irishman".
I didn't see PIL at Thebby but a mate went to the show(I'm sure that's the era) and said it was full of skinheads.

PS........Thanks for the ONE filmclip Rage:mad:

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL
There is a good chance that your sister saw "Stranded" on Countdown as they played a bit and I am 99% sure 5AD and 5KA never did. GREAT lp now available on CD for only $10!
I use to go see Ed whenever he came to Adelaide. I stopped going when there were more yuppies than old punks at the gigs(about 1993). Great performer. My fav quote of his was at one LeRox gig when introducing "Swing for the crime" he said "This is a song I wrote with a fat Irishman".
I didn't see PIL at Thebby but a mate went to the show(I'm sure that's the era) and said it was full of skinheads.

PS........Thanks for the ONE filmclip Rage:mad:

Countdown would probably be correct as I doubt 5AD would have played them - unless it was one of those weekend afternoon shows they used to run - but I think they were a little later than that.........

I've also got the first 3 Saints records on CD..........but it's still good every now and again to listen to the vinyl versions - it goes with the sound of the day much better..........:D

As for your favourite quote it sounds very similar to a couple of points he made on the doc you can play from the J files site......

ED KUEPPER - 9/5/2002

"Six years since our last special on this musical legend, it was time to feature his work once again.

Ed Kuepper's credentials include being a founding member of The Saints, leading The Laughing Clowns and a solo career stretching over 15 years.

He performed a special live set as part of this J Files with his band of the moment. Check out what we played, and have a listen to our J Files documentary on the man himself... "

Click on the "Ed Kuepper J Files Doco" link as it makes for an interesting listen.......

Lucky we don't have too many yuppies up here in Darwin as I've heard similar stories about other shows he's done down south...........

As for the PIL show I'd say there were more spikes than skins - but it was definitely an interesting mix........there were a lot of strange looks coming from cars driving past before the show............would have been a very interesting trip on the last train to Salisbury/Elizabeth that night..........

Jan 11, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide - SANFL

I gather they played mainly clips then as from what I can tell they were banned after their first 'live' appearance......

Again from the J Files site (which I'm slowly crawling through)......

'Even with the band's increased profile, the local industry was still unsure of how to deal with The Saints. They made an appearance on Countdown playing Erotic Neurotic, but were immediately banned after Kuepper and Bailey made less than complimentary remarks about the show.'

Leaping Lindner

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2002
St Kilda
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
I gather they played mainly clips then as from what I can tell they were banned after their first 'live' appearance......

Again from the J Files site (which I'm slowly crawling through)......

'Even with the band's increased profile, the local industry was still unsure of how to deal with The Saints. They made an appearance on Countdown playing Erotic Neurotic, but were immediately banned after Kuepper and Bailey made less than complimentary remarks about the show.'

Can't remember for sure if they ever did Stranded live on the show but the filmclip was definetely played. I do recall "Erotic Neurotic" and I tend to agree with the J files there as they weren't on again after that(as far as I remember). Hey,it was over 20 years ago, however I'm almost certain "Know Your Product","This Perfect Day", "Security" and other singles from that era of the Saints weren't played live or in clip form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back