Is Armo Cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's still a gun of a guy and a huge part of the club. He was by himself on a table outside the ground signing posters for fans on Saturday and always stops for a chat with people. He's one of the guys that make clubs good places to be around and is as passionate about his club as any one at the Saints. I hope he gets back and proves people wrong, he's young enough to still work his way back.

People complain when players leave for money or opportunity but Armo patiently bided his time until he made the best 22 team under Watters. He had one year when he was injury free where he was one of the best mids in the comp and lead the home and away season for possessions for most of 2015. I would love him to get his battered body up for a finals tilt and wear a medal, he deserves it nearly as much of some of the other senior citizens.

This.
Couldn't agree more.
Every-time I do some (volunteer) work at the club, he without fails goes out of his way to come over, shake your hand and say thanks.
Hell of a bloke.

Dave.

He's still a gun of a guy and a huge part of the club. He was by himself on a table outside the ground signing posters for fans on Saturday and always stops for a chat with people. He's one of the guys that make clubs good places to be around and is as passionate about his club as any one at the Saints. I hope he gets back and proves people wrong, he's young enough to still work his way back.

People complain when players leave for money or opportunity but Armo patiently bided his time until he made the best 22 team under Watters. He had one year when he was injury free where he was one of the best mids in the comp and lead the home and away season for possessions for most of 2015. I would love him to get his battered body up for a finals tilt and wear a medal, he deserves it nearly as much of some of the other senior citizens.

Great to hear he does that Gringo.
But he was already best 22 under Lyon , in 2011.
I think Lyon described him as a "Clearance machine "

I think it was around 2012 or 2013 Armitage stated that he needed to get more consistent , and to his credit, he did.

Great to hear he does that Gringo.
But he was already best 22 under Lyon , in 2011.
I think Lyon described him as a "Clearance machine "

I think it was around 2012 or 2013 Armitage stated that he needed to get more consistent , and to his credit, he did.

Delist him then ;)

Will they put Armo on the long term injure list and upgrade someone ?

Going back 2-3 years when all this board talked about was our rebuild, everyone was listing Armo in the forward line by the time we were projecting to play finals footy again.

The issue is, the game has already changed since then. It used to be everyone bar GC played a tagger, and your backup/rotating tagger was your hustling forward. The other non-key forwards were usually 1 goal sneak and some resting mids.
Now however its all-action; Port I think started it off, but now its the trend to pack the forward line with young hustlers that can chase down a defender and try and cut down space preventing opponents handballing and running out from the back. We definitely play this style now. Hence Armo doesn't fit in the forward line in that setup any more.
Unless the game changes again and we have less running defenders hence less need for speedy hustling forwards, he can get a game but otherwise I think he is probably the backup inside mid. That said having a contract till 2019 and Dunstan's form all over the place I wonder if Armo gets kept and Dunstan moved on or used as a makeweight in a trade deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't fully fit to start the year and hasn't been fit the whole year.

Have to get him fit for next year surely.
I don't think we need him anymore though... Apart from his one good season, our 3 inside bulls are now outperforming him in my opinion. Don't see how he forces his way back in as a 30 year old with chronic back injuries.

I don't think we need him anymore though... Apart from his one good season, our 3 inside bulls are now outperforming him in my opinion. Don't see how he forces his way back in as a 30 year old with chronic back injuries.
Maybe, but he's contracted until the end of 2019 on very good money, probably something around 600k.

He needs to give us something back and make his career more than it is.

Maybe, but he's contracted until the end of 2019 on very good money, probably something around 600k.

He needs to give us something back and make his career more than it is.
Yeah his contract is an issue, Perhaps a trade to GC at the end of the year? They get a devoted inside mid and a decent leader, we get a pick or say Aaron Hall or something.

He had more than one good season.
Seriously are you stupid or do you have the memory of a goldfish?
Since when are his back problems chronic?
Do you know more than the club doctor.

He's one of the few inside mids we have who can actually WIN the ball.

Yeah his contract is an issue, Perhaps a trade to GC at the end of the year? They get a devoted inside mid and a decent leader, we get a pick or say Aaron Hall or something.

Yep that sounds like a real fair trade. I'm sure they would jump at that. I do love it when people say a player is cooked and then think another side will pay overs for him. Just a matter of 600K as well.

Ideally someone else picks him and his contract up, if we get anything useful back then I'd take it. He should be in his peak, he's had one great season, a handful of good ones and the rest: meh. Great clubman, his best is elite but he's got a lot more out of the club that the club have got out of him. I'd be happy for him to get a fresh start at a new club and if he finally reached a consistent elite level I would be happy for him, not bitter.

We just can't afford to count on him or wait for him anymore.

Ideally someone else picks him and his contract up, if we get anything useful back then I'd take it. He should be in his peak, he's had one great season, a handful of good ones and the rest: meh. Great clubman, his best is elite but he's got a lot more out of the club that the club have got out of him. I'd be happy for him to get a fresh start at a new club and if he finally reached a consistent elite level I would be happy for him, not bitter.

We just can't afford to count on him or wait for him anymore.

Would you pay 600k for Armo based on his last 2 years? I doubt anyone would. He is better for us than what he is worth away from us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back