Is Australia racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

The title of this thread is a dumb question anyway. 'Is Australia Racist?' - how can you determine that? Based on a number of rednecks who are clearly racist or a number of aborigines who are clearly racist or a number of Sudanese who are clearly racist or any other person from a different cultural background are racist (I could continue to list different races but you get my drift).

There are racist people in every country and every walk of life. Some countries have a few more and some countries have a few less. My opinion there are bias towards/against races in every single person, just depends our extreme it is. Most people, its very little and most people don't give a s**t about race/colour etc. But its the minority who have the loudest voice (expect those who want to be perpetually offended, they are the loudest)

The title of this thread is a dumb question anyway. 'Is Australia Racist?' - how can you determine that? Based on a number of rednecks who are clearly racist or a number of aborigines who are clearly racist or a number of Sudanese who are clearly racist or any other person from a different cultural background are racist (I could continue to list different races but you get my drift).

There are racist people in every country and every walk of life. Some countries have a few more and some countries have a few less. My opinion there are bias towards/against races in every single person, just depends our extreme it is. Most people, its very little and most people don't give a s**t about race/colour etc. But its the minority who have the loudest voice (expect those who want to be perpetually offended, they are the loudest)

The question isn't really "are there any racist people in Australia" because the answer is obviously 'yes' just like it would be in any country. It's moreso about the prevailing cultural attitude, and do the systems we have disadvantage people who aren't white?

FWIW I do not believe Australia is racist, whereas I'd say a country like India is definitely racist.

You can absolutley make jokes about peoples race, the issue is crafting a decent joke and not just throwing out a flogged to death stereotype. I mean, when was the last time you proper laughed when someone made a joke about Asian drivers?

Its not jokes about Asian drivers its actual frustration.

This little asian woman that looked like Kim Jung Oong or whatever with her giant sunglasses decided to do a three point turn (or 6 point turn in her case) in the middle of a busy 2 way road right in front of me and others.

I just had to sit there.

Thats not racist... just bloody drive properly

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Its not jokes about Asian drivers its actual frustration.

This little asian woman that looked like Kim Jung Oong or whatever with her giant sunglasses decided to do a three point turn (or 6 point turn in her case) in the middle of a busy 2 way road right in front of me and others.

I just had to sit there.

Thats not racist... just bloody drive properly

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

I keep seeing women with full Hijab/burka on and they can never drive, the ones ive seen (a lot) should not have a licence - its a racist comment but doesn't stop the fact that a lot of them cant drive for s**t.

James Wan is a big successful Hollywood director. Makes movies suburban bogans watch https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=jameswan.htm Most wouldn't know he's Australian. Why don't Today, Sunrise, Studio 10, the rest of the trash media kraken give him the AUSTRALIA'S OWN BIG STAR IN AMERICA! treatment?

iu

I guess we'll never know...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Wan is a big successful Hollywood director. Makes movies suburban bogans watch https://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?view=Director&id=jameswan.htm Most wouldn't know he's Australian. Why don't Today, Sunrise, Studio 10, the rest of the trash media kraken give him the AUSTRALIA'S OWN BIG STAR IN AMERICA! treatment?

iu

I guess we'll never know...

Probably cause he's a director and not a star, but good point regardless.

I didn't even know he was Australian.

That's very cool.

I guess that explains some of the Aussies in Aquaman.

Maybe you should ask Ruprect that question.

Rupert Murdoch doesn't own any of the shows I mentioned.

Probably cause he's a director and not a star, but good point regardless.

I didn't even know he was Australian.

That's very cool.

I guess that explains some of the Aussies in Aquaman.

George Miller and Baz Luhrmann movies get AUSTRALIAN DID IT! coverage.

Last edited:
‘It’s racism’: TV host questioned by police for buying a bottle of wine

TV journalist Karla Grant says she was harassed by a Northern Territory police officer for buying a single bottle of wine in Alice Springs.

The NT government spends millions of dollars each year to have inspectors patrol take-away liquor stores as part of a range of measures intended to reduce alcohol-fuelled violence.

Part of their job is to determine if customers plan to drink alcohol in an area where it is banned, such as town camps and remote communities.

The system has been criticised for discriminating against Aboriginal customers.

Ms Grant, the host of Living Black who was in Central Australia to film a documentary, said she was racially targeted by a police auxiliary stationed inside the bottle shop.

After a day of shooting earlier this week, she went to buy a bottle of wine to share with colleagues over dinner at a nearby restaurant.

Ms Grant said her identification was checked by the inspector, scanned at the counter and that she was questioned about the hotel she was staying.

“The police officer basically harassed me as soon as I walked into the liquor store,” she told NITV News.

“I was stunned at the time because that’s never happened to me before.”

One of her colleagues, a non-Indigenous TV producer, was not asked to show ID when he entered the store and bought two bottles of beer at the same time.

The female police officer also warned Ms Grant multiple times about taking alcohol to a restricted area.

“I said ‘yes, I’m well aware of this, but I’m not taking any alcohol anywhere, I’m just taking it around the corner to a restaurant where we’re having dinner’,” she said.

“Do I look like a grog runner? I don’t think so.”

“I just feel it was totally out of line. She didn’t even believe that I was staying at a hotel and wanted proof of where I was staying.”

Ms Grant said that it was an extreme reaction considering that she was buying only one bottle of wine.

“She was very pushy and very abrupt with me and very stern. She was harassing me.”

The TV host said she was stunned by the experience.

“It’s racism,” Ms Grant said.

“I just felt like it’s a breach of my human rights.”

What nobody will admit of course is that the particular alcohol and violence problem in Alice Springs is a predominantly aboriginal problem and not evenly distributed through the general population. So of course any approach to alcohol bans are going to be more heavily focused on aboriginal customers. Call it racism if you will, but it is really a pragmatic sort of racism.

*shrug*

I can't get outraged over it.

Had an Indian teacher who was denied service in the NT when he was working there cause of his skin colour.

Still, I agree it's a policy designed with the best interests, as many are uncomfortable with the truth that aboriginals in the NT abuse alcohol disproportionately higher than other demographics.

This woman has never experienced it before because she's never been there before!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
What nobody will admit of course is that the particular alcohol and violence problem in Alice Springs is a predominantly aboriginal problem and not evenly distributed through the general population. So of course any approach to alcohol bans are going to be more heavily focused on aboriginal customers. Call it racism if you will, but it is really a pragmatic sort of racism.

*shrug*

I can't get outraged over it.

I'm sure Bomberboyokay spends lots of time in central Australia...

Think about introducing the same policy in one of the cap cities. Wouldn't fly, and there's no need for it. That it's deemed so necessary that people don't even care if it's racist is what is really alarming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back