Is Australia racist?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Greens, unsurprisingly, advocating destitute, homeless indigenous people being able to drink themselves to death in a sandy river bed,
Little wonder that they also support policies which create uncontrollable bushfire conditions where people die each year so they can screech 'climate change' just one more time.

The Greens, unsurprisingly, advocating destitute, homeless indigenous people being able to drink themselves to death in a sandy river bed,
Little wonder that they also support policies which create uncontrollable bushfire conditions where people die each year so they can screech 'climate change' just one more time.

Have another breakfast beer mate

Because white folk don't have problems with the drink either. We're just lucky enough to drink ourselves to death in the privacy of our own homes in a much more goverment approved manner.

We lived in Darwin for about 18 months when I was a kid. Years later, mum said a big part of why we left was people drinking all the time ostensibly because of the climate. My oldest brother was about to start high school.

We lived in Darwin for about 18 months when I was a kid. Years later, mum said a big part of why we left was people drinking all the time ostensibly because of the climate. My oldest brother was about to start high school.
I went out with a guy who did three years of law up at Charles Sturt and he couldn't believe the drinking culture in Darwin. He said it was almost as if drinking is culturally lauded for one group of people yet condemned for another.

I went out with a guy who did three years of law up at Charles Sturt and he couldn't believe the drinking culture in Darwin. He said it was almost as if drinking is culturally lauded for one group of people yet condemned for another.

Yo do realise that everyone, not just the indigenous, are subject to the policy, yes?

But hey, keep on screaming racism.

While you're at it, have a yarn with a NT copper in Alice Springs, (as an example), and ask them the effect it is having on domestic violence, street fighting etc.

You would disagree that the drinking culture in the Territory is celebrated to a certain degree? For the most part it's a pisstake but even the front page of the local daily has a cheeky wink and nod towards it a lot of the time.

What has that got to do with a policy which is being labelled racist even though it is applied across the board?
Are self-imposed alcohol bans in remote indigenous communities across Australia also racist?

Mate of mine works in juvenile justice.

The child sexual abuse cases are disproportionately high again in one demographic. So is the amount of alcohol abuse.

I guess it will sort itself out in time. Rather than take away the substance being abused that contributes to these heinous events, just sit tight and wait for cultural change to kick in. That will be comforting policy for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imagine a poor white neighborhood having people patrol their local Dan Murphys. Be front page news.

All this complaining about a cashless welfare card only seemed to happen when it impacted on white folks.

White people don't know how to fix black issues just like city people don't know how to fix country issues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because white folk don't have problems with the drink either. We're just lucky enough to drink ourselves to death in the privacy of our own homes in a much more goverment approved manner.

Nobody is saying other people don't also have problems with the drink, but the violence can get to a whole 'nother level. I have to confess I have never been to Alice Springs and speak only from experience in WA, including outer suburbs of Perth. I lived for a time in one of the state housing areas. There is a level of violence that goes with the drinking that is just brutal and shocking. Of course the women often cop it the worst. The children are not safe at home from their own male relatives and so they leave for a while and just roam the streets causing pretty crimes. The drinking and violence spills out into the street, there is no "keeping up appearances", it is just on public display, residents nearby don't feel safe in their own homes. The police come and drag away the worst offenders, sometimes an ambulance is needed for the injured. This is not an exaggeration, it happened in my street on a regular basis. It is something else, on a different level. This is going back to the 80s and 90s, but when I hear of the problems in Alice Springs I immediatelythink it is something like this.

Imagine a poor white neighborhood having people patrol their local Dan Murphys. Be front page news.

All this complaining about a cashless welfare card only seemed to happen when it impacted on white folks.

White people don't know how to fix black issues just like city people don't know how to fix country issues.

White people should probably do nothing then. That usually gets a positive response.

I wouldn't say the country as a whole is racist at all. Do we have vocal racists that get plenty of coverage in the media? 100% we do, there are plenty of dickheads out there who are racist. but as an overall country? No. We're a pretty good country when it comes to racism, sexism etc.

Nobody is saying other people don't also have problems with the drink, but the violence can get to a whole 'nother level. I have to confess I have never been to Alice Springs and speak only from experience in WA, including outer suburbs of Perth. I lived for a time in one of the state housing areas. There is a level of violence that goes with the drinking that is just brutal and shocking. Of course the women often cop it the worst. The children are not safe at home from their own male relatives and so they leave for a while and just roam the streets causing pretty crimes. The drinking and violence spills out into the street, there is no "keeping up appearances", it is just on public display, residents nearby don't feel safe in their own homes. The police come and drag away the worst offenders, sometimes an ambulance is needed for the injured. This is not an exaggeration, it happened in my street on a regular basis. It is something else, on a different level. This is going back to the 80s and 90s, but when I hear of the problems in Alice Springs I immediatelythink it is something like this.

That is all well and good but a lot of people are still missing the point because they are restricting their mindset to only "black vs white" Australia.

Go to parts of Glasgow and Newcastle in the UK and the violence that comes from alcohol is every bit as astonishing. And it is "white" violence.

The arrogance of white people is the most startling thing here. We are the self-appointed spokespeople for issues concerning indigenous Australia. Just think about that for a minute. Pauline Hanson's disgraceful stunt where she "climbed" Uluru is one of the more recent examples of the complete disrespect that is shown to the true custodians of this country.

That is all well and good but a lot of people are still missing the point because they are restricting their mindset to only "black vs white" Australia.

Go to parts of Glasgow and Newcastle in the UK and the violence that comes from alcohol is every bit as astonishing. And it is "white" violence.

The arrogance of white people is the most startling thing here. We are the self-appointed spokespeople for issues concerning indigenous Australia. Just think about that for a minute. Pauline Hanson's disgraceful stunt where she "climbed" Uluru is one of the more recent examples of the complete disrespect that is shown to the true custodians of this country.

Last time I checked, Glasgow and Newcastle were not near Alice Springs. There is a problem in Alice Springs with a certain demographic and alcohol fueled violence. The easiest and most pragmatic solution for Alice Springs seems to be to restrict the supply of alcohol in that demographic. That demographic falls along racial lines, but it exists and it is real. The reporter should take issue with those aboriginal people in Alice Springs who are ruining it for other aboriginal people to clean up their act. Instead it is all racism and the white man's fault. If they deny the racial element to the problem, then naturally any solution appears racist.

Absolutely, if climbing the rock as an Australian was so important to these people why hadn't they done it earlier (lets be honest, the majority were over 50's or tourists).

The fact that people did this against our first nations peoples wishes tells you a lot about where the respect is at. Luckily, I think the younger generations are a lot more educated and respectful than the old snoozers.

Last time I checked, Glasgow and Newcastle were not near Alice Springs. There is a problem in Alice Springs with a certain demographic and alcohol fueled violence. The easiest and most pragmatic solution for Alice Springs seems to be to restrict the supply of alcohol in that demographic. That demographic falls along racial lines, but it exists and it is real. The reporter should take issue with those aboriginal people in Alice Springs who are ruining it for other aboriginal people to clean up their act. Instead it is all racism and the white man's fault. If they deny the racial element to the problem, then naturally any solution appears racist.

So, you missed the point I was making then?

Ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back