Is Basil Zempilas the worst commentator in footy?

Jul 3, 2011
Perth, WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man U, Jays, GS Warriors, Packers
Agreed.
Hutchy just asked David Mundy "Do you think you can win it David"(referring to the Grand Final)
Mundy: "Yes of course we can, we are not going over just to participate"

Really Hutchy?? What the f**k did you think he was going to say?

Questions like that really irritate me and judging by the reaction every time it gets asked, really irritates the players and coaches it gets asked to.

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mundy should've answered with a straight "Yes" and then left it with a really awkward silence to emphasise how dumb that question was.

Basil on the other hand is a complete tossbag and the worst commentator going around right now. Whoever said he is the male Kelli Underwood is absolutely correct. He somehow manages to make everything sound so boring, but on top of that he is a smug, slimy bastard and he has a ******* huge nose.

I genuinely feel sorry for the players who might have their highlight reels destroyed by this man's boringness. Imagine if Bazil got to call the game where Huddo... i mean Buddy kicked 13 goals...

and then we have to watch him on Ch7 news every night...

ibra

All Australian
Jun 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea
He must suck a good dick cos he is horrible as a commentator!

Listening today melb (yay) v carltank, Harley was constantly disagreeing with any statement he would make as they were totally outlandish.

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He must have won a competition to get that gig.

For this on the other hand I have no words of explanation ...

18bazamyresized2.jpg

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Yeah I personally don't get the Basil hate (to these proportions anyway). Will never be a flagship commentator, but a lot more likeable than the Saturday night trio for mine (and often less cringe worthy than Hame).

Sure, he occasionally regurgitates inaccuracies, for every minute filled with Basil's voice there will be something disagreeable or an inaccurate distortion, but that's because he is trusted with more quantity of speech than other similar cases.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Shocking commentator, I don't understand why Ch 7 executives choose such crap callers.

Also Luke Darcy was acting as Special Comments man/ 2nd Caller behind Bruce in yesterdays Haw/WB match.

He was so confused at times what his role was it was cringeworthy.

Mister_A

The Mayor
Jun 26, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne AFLW

Wow, good on him. I like his commentary, in the way that I just laugh at the weird things he says in the laughing at him not with him sense (unless he is purposely doing those things to look like a crazy man, then he is hilarious!). Either way, I don't find him annoying like Bruce/Romping/BT/Darcy/etc...

seysearles

Supreme Leader
Oct 5, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wow, good on him. I like his commentary, in the way that I just laugh at the weird things he says in the laughing at him not with him sense (unless he is purposely doing those things to look like a crazy man, then he is hilarious!). Either way, I don't find him annoying like Bruce/Romping/BT/Darcy/etc...

She is a great score for someone who basically looks like a Bonobo monkey.

So many things wrong with that

Making light of a player getting hurt
A terrible pun that makes no ******* sense
And he paused before he said it because he thought he was being really hilarious

Give it up Basil you incompetent nincompoop

So many things wrong with that

Making light of a player getting hurt
A terrible pun that makes no ******* sense
And he paused before he said it because he thought he was being really hilarious

Give it up Basil you incompetent nincompoop
And not content with using it once, but again later in the game. He is putrid.

Back