Is Basil Zempilas the worst commentator in footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not disagreeing, but he's nowhere near the BT level of crapness.

When BT actually calls the game properly he is head and shoulders above Basil. Basil just can't keep up with the action, regularly gets players wrong and tries awful anecdotes when they're not needed.

BT obviously doesn't always just call the game properly.

Last edited:
BT also adds excitement to the game, as contrived as it sometimes may be. BT is essentially a breathing meme machine.

I cannot think of one redeeming factor of Basil's commentary.

Channel 7 putting Jason Bennett beside Basil makes the comparison so much easier. Why not have Jason as the lead commentator on Saturday nights, you have a gun on your roster. Jason Bennett being relegated to VFL duty is like Buddy Franklin being forced to play in the WAFL.

When BT actually calls the game properly he is head and shoulders above Basil. Basil just can't keep up with the action, regularly gets players wrong and tries awful anecdotes when they're needed.

Agreed. He goes better when he's doing the "Roving BT" thing in the rooms after some games.

Doesn't overdo it or take it too seriously, most of the players take it in good spirit (helps when you've just won of course), and yeah the finer points of calling don't matter quite so much.

When BT actually calls the game properly he is head and shoulders above Basil. Basil just can't keep up with the action, regularly gets players wrong and tries awful anecdotes when they're needed.

BT has let the whole meme thing get to his head a little bit I think. He was a better commentator when he was on Fox. He also regularly gets players' names wrong and then corrects himself ten seconds later.

He likes his name-puns too much (membrey/memory, "I fought treloar/the law"), and he probably throws in too much player trivia, but those are fixable flaws and I reckon he'll mature into a modern day Sandy Roberts type. I.e. A solid caller with the odd cringe-worthy moment.

The worst, most vile and wretched caller is Hame "he's my brother" McLaughlin. That much is undeniable fact.

He likes his name-puns too much (membrey/memory, "I fought treloar/the law"), and he probably throws in too much player trivia, but those are fixable flaws and I reckon he'll mature into a modern day Sandy Roberts type. I.e. A solid caller with the odd cringe-worthy moment.

The worst, most vile and wretched caller is Hame "he's my brother" McLaughlin. That much is undeniable fact.

Nah Basil is the single worst commentator of any sport. Ever.

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Basil where to start?

Dreadful.

A toxic bore!

Called the swimming and dulled a gold medal race, he's that bad.

He tries to think he can be a Denis C but is a miserable failure.

It's almost as if channel 7 want us to switch off, they are so lucky the game is better than toxic bore is bad.

A stinker

Can only guess that he read from a TelePrompTer when/if he did his auditions, coz the difference between him reading the news and calling a game is like night and day. His mind simply
Doesn't work fast enough on its own.

He doesn't limit his calling incapabilities to the one sport either.

His call of the 100m Freestyle Final in Rio, when Chalmers won gold, was embarrassing.
Beyond dreadful.

He's awful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best commentary I ever heard him say was this...

"He can run"

No s**t Sherlock. If they can't run they don't play you ingorant imbecile

I generally dont mind Baz - at least when Hamish “he’s my brother “ McLachlan is getting a run - but I thought he was pretty poor on the weekend.

Didn’t seem interested in actually calling the game.

Pickering was hanging s**t on him the other day about a s**t play on words he did the other night. It was something like: "Ollie Florent...who recently turned 20, so he's no longer a 'florenteen'" Fu'khead.

Just like Huddo, I reckon he writes that s**t and practices in front of the mirror for weeks

He's bad. But the question really should be is he worse than Mark Ricciuto? At least Basil sometimes actually commentates the game. I get the feeling Ricciuto gets full of piss before the game starts, barracks his way through the first quarter like a one-eyed moron, skulls a bottle of Beam at half time, then just tries to make it to the end without passing out

He's bad. But the question really should be is he worse than Mark Ricciuto? At least Basil sometimes actually commentates the game. I get the feeling Ricciuto gets full of piss before the game starts, barracks his way through the first quarter like a one-eyed moron, skulls a bottle of Beam at half time, then just tries to make it to the end without passing out

The difference is Ricciuto is just Special Comments. Basil is play by play and is the worst play by play commentator in the history of sport. This is fact and their are no opinions on this matter.

So on the radio this morning he mentioned he is doing just 8 games this year when it aligns with him being in Sydney, and the one game in perth on a Thursday night.
So i assume GWS and swans games.
1016.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back