Is Big Ed cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about one winning over the other. That's childish and this blogging thing is not real. It's just a bit of fun.

But seriously, does it all bother you that we have the Head of our Club that just seems to attract these outcomes? Like me, I'm sure you don't want to be exposed to constant losing GF's. And ultimately, that's why I don't want Buckley at the helm. It's absolutely nothing personal at all. I really hope he (and by extension us) break his duck and wins one. But I just sense that it is not his lot in life to win one (a premiership as a player or senior coach). Again I understand that most supporters will vehemently disagree but the reality thus far is not encouraging and we have spent many years, years we can't get back, invested in this.
Like I said, I don’t believe in curses.

there's a thought - can't quite imagine though....
Even she wouldn’t close the door on the fridge when jmac is opening it.

I have a wife, it’s reasonably common these days.
Or the more and more used nomenclature “partner.”

As an aside does she like the golden nectar of your preferred amber fluid? (Aka beer)

Last edited:
Or the more and more used nomenclature “partner.”

As am aside does she like the golden nectar of your preferred amber fluid? (Aka beer)
She likes IPA but consumes considerably less than me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have 3 sisters (and more than one wife) - I am aware of the entrenched inequalities us males often bear in dignified silence... :)

One wife is hard enough but more.... ?

You’re either a brave soul, very lucky, an Arab Sheikh or live in a commune in America?

One wife is hard enough but more.... ?

You’re either a brave soul, very lucky, an Arab Sheikh or live in a commune in America?
I am brave, but rest assured my wives have been in sequence, not parallel - obviously I love being married - keep trying it :) - I am not a Sheik nor do I live in a commune in America - although I am currently reading a book on small town America.....

PS -also married to Cwood - life long vow of loyalty despite heartbreak and broken promises............

Last edited:
I have 3 sisters (and more than one wife) - I am aware of the entrenched inequalities us males often bear in dignified silence... :)
The only bear around here is Sier...

Please give us some evidence or proof that HAW do not tolerate GF losses - specify some clear actions that have followed from such defeats.

You got me there. I can't give specific evidence that Hawthorn are less tolerant when it comes to GF losses than other clubs. I can't even give you specific evidence that Collingwood is more tolerant. Not a sausage.

All I can add is that over the past 50 years, say 1969-2018, the comparative records are as follows:

(i) Collingwood - 13 GFs - 2 wins, 2 draws, 9 losses
(ii) Hawthorn - 17 GFs - 11 wins, 6 losses
(iii) Even Carlton - 9 GFs - 7 wins, 2 losses

Now if you can put this disparity in win loss ratios over an extended timeframe down to pure bad luck, then that is certainly your prerogative.

You got me there. I can't give specific evidence that Hawthorn are less tolerant when it comes to GF losses than other clubs. I can't even give you specific evidence that Collingwood is more tolerant. Not a sausage.

All I can add is that over the past 50 years, say 1969-2018, the comparative records are as follows:

Now if you can put this disparity in win loss ratios over an extended timeframe down to pure bad luck, then that is certainly your prerogative.
Thank god you are here to remind us of our GF record. We might forget otherwise.

Anyone ever wondered whether our President is in fact cursed?

Consider the following:

(i) Prior to Ed's tenure as President, Collingwood was involved in 38 GF's for 14 wins - strike rate 37%. .
(ii) Since Ed's time as President, Collingwood has now been involved in 44 GF's for 15 wins - resulting in a reduction of already low strike rate to 34%.
(iii) In particular, Collingwood's record during his time as President 6 GF's for 1 win and a draw - but lets call it 5 GF's excluding the draw - strike rate 20%.
(iv) Chairman of Melbourne Stars for 8 years - 2 GF's zero wins. Strike rate - Zero.
(v) Over 28 years as President/Chairman of aforementioned 2 separate clubs - 1 premiership. Strike rate 3.5%.
(vi) Recently, overseen 2 gut wrenching/borderline unloseable GF losses across 2 separate sporting codes in a 6 month period. I challenge anyone to identify a similar scenario anywhere in the history of sports both domestically and/or globally.

Do you think we could ship big Ed of to another club? Maybe Carlton!

If nothing else, you gotta admit this is wierd.
This is lifted from the Collingwood Blog. RfMc and the other fuch heads are nuts. Curse? They are a curse of troll supporters.. Magpie Bat, and the host as well as Rosco and a small handful of others are good supporters. Enough said

The more important question is what can we learn from Carl and Haw?
Obviously not much from your own research so where does that leave us?

Serendipity, coincidence and random outlier results.
But importantly remember Carlton were caught cheating the salary cap during this period and fiddling the recruiting system with Dorotich, Naelly, Kernahagn. Bradley etc. prior to the cap.
So given the recent performance of Carlton they have obviously lost the Midas touch - or was it just the cheating. Either way it proves they did not have a LEGAL strategy - otherwise they would have not fallen as badly as the have.

Haw had a team of champions and amazing coaches (Jeans and Clarkson) during this period - which was more by luck than design. Keeping Clarkson was pure luck in the end - given how Kennedy was pushing for his sacking.

We are about to enter a sustained run of playing finals and yet there are still people who want to drag us down

Sad little forkers
Maybe they don’t really barrack for Collingwood?

Silly me, everybody tells the truth on the internet :devil: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back