Is Bigfooty overlooked in the major AFL media?

Would you LIKE to see Bigfooty get further attention to detail in the major AFL media?

• Yes, there are plenty of voices on here which should be heard

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • No, it would only make the media more complicated then it already is

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

the AFL website copied one of my posts almost word for word and posted it as an article, with no credit given. Someone else on the cats board noticed and found my post to let me know

They definitely keep track of it, as the Gary Rohan cheating situation was spoken about on here before anywhere else, it then made an appearance in the Herald Sun a couple of days later....

Sure it is, but we live in an era where sports journalism is probably the worst it has ever been. There's a lot of junk said on here, but no worse than some of the crap written by people who get paid a fortune for doing so. We've always known that computer networks would destroy the world. We just thought they'd get super-intelligent first. Instead, we got social networks and when you have sites like Big Footy you will have very little analytical appraisal of anything. Sports journalism is narcissism, full of excessive self-love, inflated self-importance and unjustified feelings of entitlement.

They definitely keep track of it, as the Gary Rohan cheating situation was spoken about on here before anywhere else, it then made an appearance in the Herald Sun a couple of days later....

Ditto the Jamara Ugle Hagan thing.. Essendon poster suggested he could be very gettanle months ago and now, story has traction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the BigFooty poster is the only person who had this knowledge?

Suppose there are 40,000 people at a match at the Docklands one day.

What proportion of them do you think have heard of bigfooty and know what it is?

What proportion do you think have an account here and post from time to time?

I'd guess maybe 5 or 10% for the first question, and maybe 1% for the second.

It's always confused me considering the amount of attention to detail platforms like Twitter are given in the AFL media for frequent reference and quotes. Obviously with so many different social media platforms out in the world nowadays it's difficult to have an even distribution of attention amongst all of them, but I have never personally noticed any reference to content on Bigfooty from any major news outlets. Considering even platforms like Facebook and their shady cousin Instagram get a massive amount of attention for posts and comments made, and at times even trolling (Particularly involving verbal abuse towards players) why is Bigfooty never talked about despite supposedly being the leading online Aussie Rules Community? And do people prefer it this way or perhaps should we seek bigger widespread attention in the media to enforce more validity for growing opinions and accusations for both the league itself and the individual clubs?
The AFL and clubs have accounts for Facebook, Twitter etc to control their content, they don't have that for Bigfooty.

Furthermore, the AFL target broader platforms to attract new fans, rather than existing nuffs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're here
They use here
We're their unnamed sources.

News almost always breaks here before anywhere else.
IIRC, news was filtering out about the Essendon drug scandal days before it hit the main media

Yes, i saw comments about it weeks before Hirdys big press conference, several people on here clearly knew what was about to happen.

I do a lot of google searches for historical things that end up post content and images on various subjects to do with players and clubs of footy and BF links come up in many many of these searches.

Ive been using this site for 15 years and seen numerous instances where AFL media identities have made appearances and identified themselves.

Players too past and present at the time.

Remembering this joint is for hardcore footy nuts and a fair few are actually quite mentally nutty themselves.

Its like BF is the R18 rated online place for footy views where fb is for G rated family fun references.

Instagram is obviously very very popular with 99.9% of players themselves where they have a personal profile and media types, journalists and footy celebrities linked to the game use Twitter a lot.

As others have said, many out of the say 5 million or so footy fans who read online content on a weekly basis dont know anything about BF.

BF has 100k members with probably only 20k of those registered actually read or post on here on a weekly basis during the season.

The rest of the general public punters get their news and views on footy from online newspapers,AFL.com.au, club Twitter and fb pages and person player Insta profile pages.

Didn't some posts from the Melbourne board end up in a newspaper at some point a while back?

a lot of direct quotes from bf posters find their way into comment sections of newspapers. They just never reference bf directly.

As others have pointed out, bf has no official affiliation with the AFL commission headquarters so you’ll never see bf posts on foxfooty or mentioned by other media partners.

Whenever I start talking footy with some stranger at the pub, I randomly drop BF usernames into the conversation.

That moment they realise you know that they know is the best. I never reveal myself, or ask them to reveal themself, a gentleman never kisses and tells, you know...

I must say though, the strike rate here in London is significantly lower than when I was rocking the scene in Melbourne.

Bigfooty is my only connection to the game besides watching the actual matches & the clubs official website.
The West Australian media is abominable & I have no interest in listening to ex Melbourne football players & their in house stupidity..
Power to the people.

If journalists had any kinds of resourcefulness they would be keeping an eye on bf & what the punters on the ground are frothing over.
I hope players stay away. The place can get pretty caustic at times.

Bigfooty isn't cool - in fact, it's cool to make fun of bigfooty. But they do come here.

What I find beyond explanation is why any current player would come here - their clubs should ban them.

There was a thread on content stolen from bigfooty a while back. A trade rumour randomly started on a club's board, and gained a lot of steam, even though it was totally made up. A journo then asked the player in question about the rumour that he was moving to X club. The player, understandably, was completely baffled by the question. No trade was made, and a journalist was made to look very very dumb by believing rumour on the internet.

100% there are journos who read this site, and no doubt post. Someone might recall the trade rumour that I was referencing above, think it happened ~10 years ago.

Back