Is Brett Ratten a genius? (Now with Poll)

Is Brett Ratten a genius?

• Yes. Up there with Einstein and Da Vinci.

Votes: 82 63.1%
  • Not a genius but a very good Assistant Coach

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • ordinary assistant with a happy knack for arriving at a club during good times

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • When Jack Watts finally hangs up his boots in 2030 he will walk in to a senior coaching position

Votes: 16 12.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If he is so good how come he hasn't been given another crack at it yet?
Brett said a few years ago he doesn’t want to be a head coach again. I’m sure clubs would have spoken to him about it but he’s turned them down. If the time comes right for Brett I’m sure he’ll get offers.

Brett said a few years ago he doesn’t want to be a head coach again. I’m sure clubs would have spoken to him about it but he’s turned them down. If the time comes right for Brett I’m sure he’ll get offers.

I missed that. Was there an article?

In an article published in July 2017 he said the complete opposite. I realise circumstances may have changed, hence why I’m interested in your comment.

“It’s come into my thinking this year more so than previous years,” he said.

“It’s more about where the club is and it would have to be the right fit for me to consider it with my family and everything.

”I love coaching and if it never happens, then it never happens. I’m happy to stay involved at whatever level. If those opportunities come I will sit down and have a real think about it and see where it’s at and consider it.”

I missed that. Was there an article?

In an article published in July 2017 he said the complete opposite. I realise circumstances may have changed, hence why I’m interested in your comment.

“It’s come into my thinking this year more so than previous years,” he said.

“It’s more about where the club is and it would have to be the right fit for me to consider it with my family and everything.

”I love coaching and if it never happens, then it never happens. I’m happy to stay involved at whatever level. If those opportunities come I will sit down and have a real think about it and see where it’s at and consider it.”
It would of been fairly soon after Carlton got rid of him. Didn’t want to start the whole coaching process again as it takes up too much time away from family and other things. Was happy to be an assistant.

But yeah things have changed if he’s stating in 2017 that’s he’s interested again

Would be good to see him give it another go, where to though? Only spot I see being up for the taking soon would be north

The way ratts stock has risen since he got the sack from us in 2012 is one of the weirder things I’ve seen.

Revisionist history seems to make out he got a lot from a crap side with us, when we were anything but.

I think he was ok, and may of learnt more since.

Terrible recruiting under ratts reign combined with that continuing under malthouse, as well as losing valuable players for nothing destroyed the club, hence the rebuild we have been in.

So basically us being diabolical since makes ratts seems even better in hindsight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way ratts stock has risen since he got the sack from us in 2012 is one of the weirder things I’ve seen.

Revisionist history seems to make out he got a lot from a crap side with us, when we were anything but.

Terrible recruiting under ratts reign combined with that continuing under malthouse, as well as losing valuable players for nothing destroyed the club, hence the rebuild we have been in.

So basically us being diabolical since makes ratts seems even better in hindsight.
Didn't deserve to be sacked after an 11 win season in a injury ravaged year after three years of finals, including 1 kick away from a preliminary final. It's hard to judge him as a failure when he wasn't given sufficient opportunity to see how far he could take the list. Whatever your views on Ratts he should never have been sacked

Didn't deserve to be sacked after an 11 win season in a injury ravaged year after three years of finals, including 1 kick away from a preliminary final. It's hard to judge him as a failure when he wasn't given sufficient opportunity to see how far he could take the list. Whatever your views on Ratts he should never have been sacked

Yes but back at the time opposition supporters didn’t rate Ratts, now he’s seen as some kind of fallen hero.

He did ok with us, and shouldn’t of been sacked, but he has malthouse to thank for his stock rising.

I thought at the time while the list probably was achieving as much as they could without signing 1/2 more A graders he was pretty much marched out in a combination of over rating the list internally and and copping some pretty brutal injury luck when the "window was open"

Not sure about this "Carlton were ravaged by injuries in 2012" story.

Betts, Armfield, Scotland, Garlett, Kruezer, Gibbs and Judd were all available for 20 or more matches. Brock McLean came fourth in their best and fairest but couldn't get picked until round 11.

Can't blame injuries, Carlton just had a s**t year. No big deal, it happens. Was just poor timing for Ratts with Malthouse being available.

Not sure about this "Carlton were ravaged by injuries in 2012" story.

Betts, Armfield, Scotland, Garlett, Kruezer, Gibbs and Judd were all available for 20 or more matches. Brock McLean came fourth in their best and fairest but couldn't get picked until round 11.

Can't blame injuries, Carlton just had a s**t year. No big deal, it happens. Was just poor timing for Ratts with Malthouse being available.

Depends on how one looks at it I guess:

- Andrew Carrazzo broke his shoulder colliding with Sam Lonergan and was never the same again.
- Both back up ruckmen Shaun Hampson and Robert Warnock had their seasons cut short.
- Jeremy Laidler had his ongoing knee problems. Andrew Walker battled calf strains.
- Kade Simpson had his jaw broken and was out for 3 weeks.
- I do believe Chris Judd played less than 20 games because of that infamous 'chicken wing' tackle on Leigh Adams.
- Jarrad Waite was his usual injury-prone self.
- Players with 3-4+ stints on the sidelines included Lachie Henderson, Nick Duigan, Chirs Yarran, Mitch Robinson, Marc Murphy and Michael Jamison.
- 3 to 5 players had post-season surgery. So this was assuming they weren't entirely fit whilst playing the remaining games. They were a few of approximately 13 players to have operations throughout the whole year.
- Compare to 2011 - 7 players played every match including finals and 13 played 20+. In 2012 - Only 3 played every match and only 6 played 20+.
Club used 41 players as a result of this.

So yeah, I find it reasonable to consider Ratten's demise being partly due to the bad luck and injuries. Then again, there was a chance he was always destined for failure given the pathetic drafting by the list manager at the time.

Last edited:
Back