Is Brett Ratten a genius? (Now with Poll)

Is Brett Ratten a genius?

• Yes. Up there with Einstein and Da Vinci.

Votes: 82 63.1%
  • Not a genius but a very good Assistant Coach

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • ordinary assistant with a happy knack for arriving at a club during good times

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • When Jack Watts finally hangs up his boots in 2030 he will walk in to a senior coaching position

Votes: 16 12.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Choke wouldn't be the word i would use, lack of leadership was where it was at. Definitely a lost opportunity but seeing how raw the group is and how they have grown rapidly in a short space those losses might have been the best thing for the club.

Losing to Freo is part of how we managed to beat Port. We learned a valuable lesson, you can see that when Port came at us in the third quarter and we resisted.

Ratten wasn't ready at Carlton. Has a great footy brain, but needed time as an assistant under a top coach. He's had that for a number of years now with Clarko and it's looking like it's paid off. Those taking pot shots at Carlton now were probably the same taking pot shots at Ratten then.

I wish Ratts all the best.

Ratten wasn't ready at Carlton. Has a great footy brain, but needed time as an assistant under a top coach. He's had that for a number of years now with Clarko and it's looking like it's paid off. Those taking pot shots at Carlton now were probably the same taking pot shots at Ratten then.

Id put Ratts down as a great teaching coach which is the more important skill to have then being tactically brilliant imo.

Id put Ratts down as a great teaching coach which is the more important skill to have then being tactically brilliant imo.

Rattens game plan with us was to employ the forward press to lock the ball inside F50, and a preference for an army of smaller forwards (the three amigos) at the feet of a central marking target, and fast rebound footy to get the ball 'out the back' and past opposition zones.

It was the exact same game plan that led Richmond to 2 flags a few years later.

It's also a similar (largely identical) game plan he's using at the Saints.

People that say he had a poor game plan are wrong IMO. If anything, he was ahead of his time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not a genius, but he is and always has been a good coach. I am not overly surprised that he's got the Saints playing some good footy.

His teams have always looked good going into attack, but the question over his coaching has been whether his sides are good enough defensively and whether the game plan can stand up in the heat of finals footy.

That is yet to be determined.

He's not a genius, but he is and always has been a good coach. I am not overly surprised that he's got the Saints playing some good footy.

His teams have always looked good going into attack, but the question over his coaching has been whether his sides are good enough defensively and whether the game plan can stand up in the heat of finals footy.

That is yet to be determined.

Defensive 6 have been incredibly solid for us this year.

Forwards and Backs have been smashing it but the mids are the weak link right now but getting better.

He’s similar to Worsfold I think.

Natural leader, highly respected, players want to play for him.

Good on him - always a likeable person in the game which defies logic being so heavily linked to Carlton!
Pretty much 100% wrong

Woosha has never been a great tactician but has had the ability to inspire.

Opinions are hard to get wrong, but you have managed to do so here.

Poor take.

Pretty much 100% wrong

Woosha has never been a great tactician but has had the ability to inspire.

Opinions are hard to get wrong, but you have managed to do so here.

Poor take.

I didn’t say anything about Worsfold’s tactical skill - I implied his strengths are elsewhere....

Unless of course you are implying Ratten is a tactical genius?

Also, there is no bonus points on BigFooty for being a w***er mate, try to control yourself. :)

I didn’t say anything about Worsfold’s tactical skill - I implied his strengths are elsewhere....

Unless of course you are implying Ratten is a tactical genius?

Also, there is no bonus points on BigFooty for being a w***er mate, try to control yourself. :)
Haha fair enough mate. Cant help myself sometimes😂

All things being equal we'd be a game clear on top and would have beaten 3 of the other current top 6 sides by over 4 goals each.

Your current coach Brett Ratten is better than your previous 2 coaches in Alan Richardson and Scott watters..... I think lol

He took you within 3 points of a Prelim.

He was absolutely ready.

He took you within 3 points of a Prelim.

He was absolutely ready.

Yes. Carlton beat a shitty Essendon side in the EF and then lost the Semi against a team that was pumped the following week in the PF. A Semi is the furthest he took that team and the Essendon win was his only finals win at Carlton. I disagree with you. He wasn't ready. He needed a better apprenticeship before taking a senior gig and he's had a great one at Hawthorn. I would've open to him coming back to Carlton.

Losing to Freo is part of how we managed to beat Port. We learned a valuable lesson, you can see that when Port came at us in the third quarter and we resisted.
It's a shame we didn't learn the lesson when North did the same thing to us in round 1, though.

Back