Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently eighth for average score against. Every premier since North 1999 (10th) has been in the best six.

Haven't been as convincing as I thought they'd be. Look pretty easy to score against at times, and if I was a Lions fan I'd be a little nervous every time the ball went inside 50 given how many young rebounding defenders they have back there. Starcevich, Answerth, Witherden etc.

Obvious talent all over the ground, but I think they are still at least a year away from competing with the best teams in the competition.

If they kicked straight this wouldn't even be a question.
I really dont think this is true - the conversion rate on goal is inflated by the way the team plays - especially against good pressure sides - they go very wide and a lot of their shots on goal are either rushed, snaps or from tight angles. Game against Tigers was a good example - for anyone that watched the game - Richmond forced them wide wherever possible and the Lions kept kicking wide to the pockets - easy kill for the Tigers and they dont seem to learn. They had a few missed set shots but no more than the Tigers had in that game. Fagan is pumping up the theory that the only problem is their set shot kicking so as to deflect away from his game style that wont stack up in finals or against good teams in general

This team will have left QLD twice for the entire season after the home and away season has been completed.

If the entire finals series is played in Queensland, then make no mistake anything less than a premiership is a failure by this club.

Its only 3 less times than Richmond leaving Victoria last year.

Brisbane are simply are very good team on the verge of something good.

Considering we came into the season in the bottom 4 for both average games played and average age i'd say we're going okay. Can certainly think of a lot of teams who would love to be top 2 on the ladder with a list that has as much room to grow as ours. Our last 5 or 6 weeks have been a bit meh but we're a young team that has entered it's window far earlier than was expected to do so. 2018 we won 5 games and yet now our form over our last 25 games is 19-6. I'm certainly not complaining with how we're going.

I really dont think this is true - the conversion rate on goal is inflated by the way the team plays - especially against good pressure sides - they go very wide and a lot of their shots on goal are either rushed, snaps or from tight angles. Game against Tigers was a good example - for anyone that watched the game - Richmond forced them wide wherever possible and the Lions kept kicking wide to the pockets - easy kill for the Tigers and they dont seem to learn. They had a few missed set shots but no more than the Tigers had in that game. Fagan is pumping up the theory that the only problem is their set shot kicking so as to deflect away from his game style that wont stack up in finals or against good teams in general

Agree with a lot of this. We have a genuine issue with set shot goals which should be formalities at the elite level but the other half of the issue is game style as you have pointed out. Put the two together and you get the 18th most accurate team in the comp. Unfortunately it isn’t the way we would like to be playing but our tall forwards are our weakest area and it is too high risk to go to the centre of the goal square each time with that in mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can take the mantle from Adelaide 2012 - Pretty sure we got that tag from bigfooty back then....

....... though maybe there is a genuine argument to say that one fits.....

Been nice watching them go up the ladder but I genuinely don't think they have the talent, depth and hardness to go all the way.

Don't think they can beat Richmond unless we play our reserves team > possibly one of the biggest psychological bunnies of the last generation. And let's be honest Richmond was missing plenty of key players such as Prestia, Nankervis, Astbury, Houli, Edwards...most of which have been missing the whole year.

Kicking for goal is terrible. Nerves aplenty, as evidenced by their straight sets exit last year.

This team will have left QLD twice for the entire season after the home and away season has been completed.

If the entire finals series is played in Queensland, then make no mistake anything less than a premiership is a failure by this club.
Not much different than Vic clubs for most years.

They miss a lot of gettable goals they should be kicking.

They miss a lot of gettable goals they should be kicking.
They definitely did last game - I think its now in their head - especially Hipwood. But if you look back the Richmond game, they only missed a couple of set shots - as did Richmond. I think its probably a combination of poor technique, lack of confidence and game style - the problem is made to look worse because a lot of their shots are from difficult positions. Pressure mounts and then it gets in their head so they then start missing some of the easier ones

I understand where OP is coming from. They have a massive weakness in their forwardline that other sides like West Coast and Geelong don't have. They're young, I'll give them that, but I don't see any of their young KPFs kicking on.

It's frustrating to be equal first on points / second on the ladder but be so wayward in front of goal. Also take into consideration we don't have our #1 ruck, and have debuted two players who have rotated through ruck duties in our games. And despite that, we're still equal first on points / second on the ladder. Imagine if we figured out how to kick straight? 20 scoring shots vs St Kilda's 13. 18 scoring shots vs North's 12. 26 scoring shots against the Doggie's 17. And one of the games that we got 'smacked' by Richmond - 21 scoring shots to Richmond's 22.

Also let's just clear some things up about your perception of entitlement:
10/13 games in QLD.
It's actually 9/13. We played Round 1 in Melbourne. Small difference, but if you're looking at numbers, make sure they're correct.
Of the 10 games in QLD, 6 at the Gabba.
*checks Gold Coast's fixtures so far* - 8/13 at Metricon. Right.

4 games at Metricon. Don't tell me these are away games. The Gold Coast is no further from Brisbane than Melbourne from Geelong yet Geelong play home games in Melbourne.
Unless we have a secret stash of everything we would normally travel with just hidden away in a room under Metricon, I'm pretty sure it's an away game, mate.

It's frustrating to be equal first on points / second on the ladder but be so wayward in front of goal. Also take into consideration we don't have our #1 ruck, and have debuted two players who have rotated through ruck duties in our games. And despite that, we're still equal first on points / second on the ladder. Imagine if we figured out how to kick straight? 20 scoring shots vs St Kilda's 13. 18 scoring shots vs North's 12. 26 scoring shots against the Doggie's 17. And one of the games that we got 'smacked' by Richmond - 21 scoring shots to Richmond's 22.

Also let's just clear some things up about your perception of entitlement:
It's actually 9/13. We played Round 1 in Melbourne. Small difference, but if you're looking at numbers, make sure they're correct.
*checks Gold Coast's fixtures so far* - 8/13 at Metricon. Right.

Unless we have a secret stash of everything we would normally travel with just hidden away in a room under Metricon, I'm pretty sure it's an away game, mate.

10/13 games in their home state. Use your fingers to keep track of each game in QLD as you count them.

Metricon is for all intents a home game against a non-QLD club.

If Brisbane had to hub they'd be a 5-8 team at best.

They literally just need to kick straight to win the whole thing

They might actually be the best team by a stretch if not for the goal kicking.

The issue is that they’re incredibly bad at goal kicking, not just a little off every now and again, and this doesn’t look like it’s an easy fix. Hipwood, Rayner, McCluggage and many other very skilful high draft picks either have horrible technique or completely melt in front of goal.

It might not matter but I’d be surprised if they went through three finals without throwing in a 6.17 or something like that - then you’re at real risk of getting bounced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back