Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

10/13 games in their home state. Use your fingers to keep track of each game in QLD as you count them.
LOL you know, hand on heart I'll cop that one - I was scrolling through the fixture looking for away games and must have looked over one of the SYD ones twice.

Metricon is for all intents a home game against a non-QLD club.

If Brisbane had to hub they'd be a 5-8 team at best.
I still disagree that Gold Coast is a home game. Game in home state yes, but not a home game for the club. Aside flights and hotels our logistics are no different to boxing everything up to travel south or west. It's as neutral a ground possible against a non-QLD club, and we in a normal season play there once for one of the Q Clashes, so there's less team familiarity with that oval than even Docklands. In a similar vein Chris Scott has also been vocal about home games organised at the MCG in the past, they certainly don't consider them home games, and I know we'd be rather shat off with the prospect of one of our home games being scheduled at Metricon unless the Gabba was unavailable. Just as I type that I recall the Lions AFLW team had to play the GF at Metricon after the Adele concert messed up the grass / the head groundskeeper didn't want footy on the oval.

It's frustrating to be equal first on points / second on the ladder but be so wayward in front of goal. Also take into consideration we don't have our #1 ruck, and have debuted two players who have rotated through ruck duties in our games. And despite that, we're still equal first on points / second on the ladder. Imagine if we figured out how to kick straight? 20 scoring shots vs St Kilda's 13. 18 scoring shots vs North's 12. 26 scoring shots against the Doggie's 17. And one of the games that we got 'smacked' by Richmond - 21 scoring shots to Richmond's 22.

Also let's just clear some things up about your perception of entitlement:
It's actually 9/13. We played Round 1 in Melbourne. Small difference, but if you're looking at numbers, make sure they're correct.
*checks Gold Coast's fixtures so far* - 8/13 at Metricon. Right.

Unless we have a secret stash of everything we would normally travel with just hidden away in a room under Metricon, I'm pretty sure it's an away game, mate.
Not the only ones.
If Port Adelaide kicked 5.1 instead of 1.6 in the Brisbane loss 1st qtr, it would have been a different game with scoreboard pressure.

If PA had equalled St Kilda accuracy in our loss (6.6 to 7.1 3qtr time) again scoreboard pressure would have meant a different last qtr.

Coulda woulda shoulda didn't... we weren't good enough.

They're a bit like Port in the early 00s. Clearly a very dangerous, attacking side, but a bit raw to be a serious contender. I expect them contend next year or 2022.

They're a bit like Port in the early 00s. Clearly a very dangerous, attacking side, but a bit raw to be a serious contender. I expect them contend next year or 2022.

Port were a brilliant team in the home and away season in the early 2000's, they were just serial chokers in the finals.

Brisbane are a midtable team with an inflated ladder position due to only playing two genuine away games in 13 matches.

Weird thread, but we're certainly not as good as the ladder position suggests if our goalkicking doesn't improve.

10-3 but let's break it down.

10/13 games in QLD.

Two genuine away games got smacked by the Hawks in one of them.

Neutral game against Geelong at the SCG and got belted.

Of the 10 games in QLD, 6 at the Gabba.

Includes a close win against Fremantle and lucky win against the Saints.

4 games at Metricon. Don't tell me these are away games. The Gold Coast is no further from Brisbane than Melbourne from Geelong yet Geelong play home games in Melbourne.

Of the 4 GC games, close win against an awful Melbourne side, smashed by Richmond, lucky win over North.

They'll never get a better chance to win another premiership but barely scraping by in a lot of games in QLD. Lost convincingly in 2/3 games outside of QLD. No answer for big contenders like Geelong and Richmond. Beat West Coast when they playing poorly, sooking about the hub and sooking about dew on the grass.

The Port win was solid, but geez what an ordinary form line especially since they beat Port in round 5.
I’ve noticed you seem to be a troll.

Worst top two side? No.

They have all the ingredients in my mind to challenge this year. It's about execution right now and maybe a touch more experience.

If they can't beat us in the next round after a whole week and more off and while we are coming off a 4 day break, then I might reconsider.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon we are the least pleasurable top two team to barrack for. We dominate games but the lack of key forwards means we 'scramble' a lot forward.

We have players who are poor set shots for goal. Against Richmond we missed five 'gettable' set shots that Acker would have dobbed either foot.

Put the two together and we are the worst top two team ever kicking for goal.

Have some sympathy for us Brissie supporters.

Tbh this was a pretty disappointing troll and the thread is pretty tame apart from the usual suspects who have a weird hard-on about us. Even the tigers supporters (who could be forgiven for not giving us any credit at all) have been pretty reasonable.

I think on our day we could beat anyone bar Richmond, particularly in QLD. Geelong would also be very tough.

We've done West Coast two years in a row early in the season in QLD. Would probably be a different story with NicNat back to full fitness and McGovern playing but they don't scare me in QLD particularly if there is the slightest amount of moisture around. Obviously, if the finals series is in Perth they are overwhelming favourites.

I'll take being the second worst top 2 side ever over being the worst performing team of the last decade anytime.

Go back to goldy play with your sand castles , count the days till your kids pack up and go to Melbourne or anywhere
Brisbane has won more games than the team in third place and more than Gold Coast will ever win

give it up

No disrespect to Nth Melb as a club - but i thought the Kangaroos in 1983 when minor Premiers - would be one of the more ordinary top 2 teams

Had ageing stars - which got the wins in the H/A - but really the side had a bit of a glass jaw look - and got flogged in both finals

OK plugger 👍 copped a few head knocks mate

You held on to win by 2 points after we had you on the ropes for most of the last quarter but couldn't put you away, you were lucky to escape with the win.

Better sides than us wouldn't have let you off the hook.

Thread is spot on. Soft draw helped them last year, playing almost every game in Queensland helped them this year.

They look vanilla. Their performance against North in particular was completely spineless.

I really dont think this is true - the conversion rate on goal is inflated by the way the team plays - especially against good pressure sides - they go very wide and a lot of their shots on goal are either rushed, snaps or from tight angles. Game against Tigers was a good example - for anyone that watched the game - Richmond forced them wide wherever possible and the Lions kept kicking wide to the pockets - easy kill for the Tigers and they dont seem to learn. They had a few missed set shots but no more than the Tigers had in that game. Fagan is pumping up the theory that the only problem is their set shot kicking so as to deflect away from his game style that wont stack up in finals or against good teams in general
This is spot on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back