Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

This will age about as well as the original post. Beaten by a better side tonight.

Will do no better than 13 wins, but bottom of the 8 at best.

Fagan much like Hinkley didn't get his side up for this tonight.

Geelong out tackled Brisbane 56-53 despite Geelong dominating the ball.

Port last night only 62 tackles despite conditions prime for high tackle counts (57 season average).

Both Port and Brisbane showed no heart, no urgency for the most important games of those players lives.

Weak efforts and you have to put it on the coaches for not preparing their troops.

Full credit to Geelong and Richmond.

Daniher, if fit, makes a big difference to their side next year. Hipwood just can't be relied on, and McStay should be depth more than anything.

A genuine star forward alongside Cameron will make a huge difference. Their current side just doesn't have big final presence.

It's over to their medical staff now.

Based on what I saw tonight, I'd have to say, maybe, I don't remember a worse top 2 team recently.

They were trash.

Geelong shut down their get out kick across half back and got numbers to stoppages.

That's it? That's all it took to dismantle a top 2 team?

You've got to be shitting me.
Seriously has a team had a better run gifted to them as brissie this year in the history of the league?
Even had the chance to play the gf at home ffs.
Seriously most overated side I’ve seen in years.
Or perhaps simply cool dad coach fages didn’t give them a big enough hug before they ran out ?
either way that’s as far as the lions are getting with this squad

Port last night only 62 tackles despite conditions prime for high tackle counts (57 season average).

Both Port and Brisbane showed no heart, no urgency for the most important games of those players lives.

Weak efforts and you have to put it on the coaches for not preparing their troops.

Many teams seem flat after the double bye. Since this started in 2016 the teams with double bye are now 4-6 when playing at home against lower ranked sides you would really expect an 8-2 ratio atleast. Even last year it took Richmond a long time to get going against Geelong.

Jesus, that was a putrid performance. They were unrecognisable from their game against us, don't know why they had to give Geelong such a bruise free encounter.

Overall though I like the shape of their list, if they get Daniher and he fires that is the biggest missing puzzle piece.

Utter Horseshit .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many teams seem flat after the double bye. Since this started in 2016 the teams with double bye are now 4-6 when playing at home against lower ranked sides you would really expect an 8-2 ratio atleast. Even last year it took Richmond a long time to get going against Geelong.
Yep , it is more of a hindrance than a benefit . especially with the shorter quarters ( 20 % game lost ) this year .

to get flogged on your on your own turf in a preliminary final is pretty bad, after playing a majority of games at home there credentials have to be in question after last seasons straight sets exit on top of this years results.

Last edited:
to get flogged on your on your own turf in a preliminary final is pretty bad, after playing a majority of games at home there credentials have to be in question after last seasons straight sets exit on top of this years results.

The way we got beat was the worst part. Our midfield really let us down and it’s something we need to address.

I’m still pretty confident of a top four finish next season with the addition of a couple of nice players and the improvement in our younger guys should outweigh the decline of someone like Robinson and Stef Martin(didn’t play 90% of the season). Hopefully Zorko can over come the injury he has had to try and deal with all year.

Not happy going out the way we did, but it was a step better then last year and hopefully we can take another step in 2021.

Easily. That midfield? Ha. Easily matched every time. Neale is elite, but everyone else is not going to compete with the likes of Richmond, Geelong, Port in big games. The draw this year flattered them. 1-3 in finals, all at home, the last two years.

Easily. That midfield? Ha. Easily matched every time. Neale is elite, but everyone else is not going to compete with the likes of Richmond, Geelong, Port in big games. The draw this year flattered them. 1-3 in finals, all at home, the last two years.

I think we match up fine against Port. We have a decent record against them in recent times.

I've thought this narrative was unsurprising but drastically overstated all year. A tradition just about as old as the sport itself is decrying any possible advantage of a successful opposition team.

Brisbane of the early 2000's had salary cap concessions, Geelong of the late 2000's benefited from Kardinia Park and the help of the father/son rule, Hawthorn in the 2010's were just lucky to peak when other clubs were hindered by expansion club drafts, Richmond got to play a great deal of their premiership seasons at home with less travel than other sides, Sydney had COLA, Collingwood had buckets of cash before the off field cap was tight and facilities nobody could match, the Bulldogs got the best umpiring run of all time etc.

If you play it that way as many like to do, there has probably never been a completely legitimate premier in the history of the competition. Another way of looking at it is that we have one of the most even and balanced competitions in the world. And ultimately, I can't think of too many instances if any where a season had an undeserving premier at the end of it.

We definitely did have some kind of an upper hand this year in the competition being based here and that's been completely obvious from the start. The Suns had the same advantage, Port & the Crows similar but slightly lesser, and West Coast, Freo, Sydney & GWS also advantaged but another rung down. But I think the level to which it was an advantage for us or any of those clubs was always exaggerated. We were still restricted by the same rules as were the families and partners of our players, so it wasn't as though our players were living a normal life while others were essentially imprisoned. In one sense, you could argue they missed out on the community-focus that other clubs got living alongside each other while our guys were stuck at home on their own.

Ultimately though, the advantage we got this year clearly wasn't enough to boost us to being ready for a premiership. Let's say we are 70% of the way to being flag-ready, perhaps this season's conditions boosted us 5-10%. They were never going to make us the best club in the competition though if we weren't actually the best club in the competition. We're still quite new to this whole 'not being a rabble' thing, and the majority of the core players of our side are under 25. It was the first prelim final for almost all of our squad tonight, and only the fourth ever final for the majority of them too. Just on timelines of development, it was always going to be a little early.

Who knows if we'll ever develop to being a premiership side from where we are at the moment. I'm not a great list judge nor can anyone ever predict these things accurately, but I am confident that we have the right people in charge who it would be a bit foolish to doubt on the turnaround they've brought about so far. 1 win out of 4 finals is one way of framing it - another could be reviving a club quite genuinely not far from folding to two finals series with increasing success over four years. The trend has been upwards since they arrived, and naturally I hope that can continue.

Richmond might be a pretty good comparison. After years in the wilderness, they finally made the finals in 2013 only to go 0-3 in finals over the following three years and then miss the one after that. Plenty wrote them off, said this list was never going anywhere, and that they'd need to start again. Now they're on the brink of a dynasty with that same list and that same coach on that same timeline.

Progression as a footy club always seems to come in this sort of a way, and expecting that it was going to be rapidly accelerated a few years down the timeline just because we were sleeping in our own beds was an absurd narrative from the start.

At any rate, at least if we're able to win a flag in the coming years now there won't be the doubting around our credentials when that day comes. Of course, that's probably a bit optimistic of me - I'm sure people will find something. Our academy, our medical team, the AFL help in 2016, the nicer weather. There'll be options to delegitimise any success with, as there always are. I just think it's a pretty petulant and immature way to follow footy.

They appear to lack on-field leadership, particularly in the midfield and forward half. Even when they comfortably accounted for us this year, they appeared to make poor decisions when going forward, and lacked composure when going for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back