Is Brisbane the worst top two side ever?

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Can’t understand why it was a given we should win the flag just because it happened to be in Brisbane this year, we are at where we are at in our development, that doesn’t suddenly change because of the pandemic. Pretty clear we are another a grade mid and a key forward short.

Another year of development into this squad plus hopefully getting Daniher in the squad makes us stronger for next year.
Because you had every game at the GABBA this year, you are not guaranteed to play in prelim finals every year just ask Melbourne you have to take your chances. This year and last year you have blown 3 home finals could have made two grand finals

Because you had every game at the GABBA this year, you are not guaranteed to play in prelim finals every year just ask Melbourne you have to take your chances. This year and last year you have blown 3 home finals could have made two grand finals

We played 56% of our games at the Gabba this year. To put that into perspective, the Tigers had the same percentage of games at the MCG last year in a normal season.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Did you read my post? We are not a flag team yet. The Grand Final in Brisbane doesn’t change that. You should also double check the fixture because we certainly did not play ‘every game’ at the GABBA.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
We played 56% of our games at the Gabba this year.
Okay you travelled to Metricon big deal but you barely left Queensland and in 4 home finals you lost 3. I was referring to the point that it all resets to zero next year and this year was a perfect chance to play in a home ground GF

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Did you read my post? We are not a flag team yet. The Grand Final in Brisbane doesn’t change that. You should also double check the fixture because we certainly did not play ‘every game’ at the GABBA.
Okay you travelled to Metricon hardly travelling, I was saying there no such thing we are not a flag team yet, because next year other teams improve and get better you may have a harder run with injuries. If you get a chance you have to take it. I like what Fagan has done mind you, but home prelims dont come around every year

Okay you travelled to Metricon big deal but you barely left Queensland and in 4 home finals you lost 3. I was referring to the point that it all resets to zero next year and this year was a perfect chance to play in a home ground GF

Ah gotcha, I don't think your point was very well made. I understand now.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
Okay you travelled to Metricon hardly travelling, I was saying there no such thing we are not a flag team yet, because next year other teams improve and get better you may have a harder run with injuries. If you get a chance you have to take it. I like what Fagan has done mind you, but home prelims dont come around every year
So by your logic the Suns should have played finals this year and competed for a flag? After all they played more home games than we did and from what you are saying playing an hour away still counts as a home game. Of course nobody would make that argument because the Suns aren’t ready to compete for finals yet.

A side doesn’t just change where they are at in their development simply because they had more games at home and the grand final at their home ground (incidentally still less than some Vic teams get every single season). We are still a little bit from competing with the top teams and last night showed that. Nothing to do with the change in fixture.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If they couldn’t win it this year don’t think it would be an astute judgment to expect this current group to win a flag in coming years. For the simple fact that whilst there’s little doubt they’re still improving, the margin of improvement won’t come close to making up the difference between not having 14/17 home state games + a guaranteed home grand final in coming seasons.

This was definitely their year to win it.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Whilst I agree with you, you are not guaranteed to play in prelim every year they need to seize their chance
Seizing the chance is the key. Look at Saints of 09/10. Elite team but missed the chance and it could be decades before they make another GF again. Freo of 2013, who knows how long before they get that chance again? It could be another 30 years.

If the Tigers fall from grace next year I'll be thrilled we took our chances and won 2 or 3 flags. It will settle me because I know at some stage we will drop down the ladder again as that's how the system works. It could be another 30 years before we get to this level again of contending for flags. Its so crucial because in an 18 team league, it's not a given that Brisbane get back here next year. There's 17 other clubs also hoping to improve year on year. And now, the advantages they had in 2020 are gone, it gets exceptionally harder for them now despite any improvement (which a lot of clubs will also get improvement).

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
If they couldn’t win it this year don’t think it would be an astute judgment to expect this current group to win a flag in coming years. For the simple fact that whilst there’s little doubt they’re still improving, the margin of improvement won’t come close to making up the difference between not having 14/17 home state games + a guaranteed home grand final in coming seasons.

As a Richmond supporter you of all people should know how wrong that is. Richmond went from being a mediocre team all around to being a powerhouse. Improvement can come very fast, and Brisbane are still a young side. Some smart recruiting, more games for the younger players, it can all happen very fast.

2013, 2014, 2015 - elimination finals exit
2016 - didn't even make the finals
2017 - premiership

Just re-hashing your history here, easy to forget sometimes.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Wouldn't be surprised to see Brisbane 'Melbourne' it and collapse back into irrelevance. Pretty pathetic performance at home against a team notorious for choking.

C’mon Kane. We already invited you to our preseason camp once and made you eat your words. I’m sure the boys will be happy to host you in Tassie again next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
As a Richmond supporter you of all people should know how wrong that is. Richmond went from being a mediocre team all around to being a powerhouse. Improvement can come very fast, and Brisbane are still a young side. Some smart recruiting, more games for the younger players, it can all happen very fast.
2013, 2014, 2015 - elimination finals exit
2016 - didn't even make the finals
2017 - premiership

Just re-hashing your history here, easy to forget sometimes.
Nobody is denying the further improvement nor that they won’t make savvy recruitment calls. I just think it’s ludacris to expect said improvement to be a bigger counterweight than 50% less home games + no home grand final in coming seasons, which let’s face it is a massive tip of the scales the other way.

Just based on that they’d have to improve out of sight to win it next year. If they do I’ll bloody tip my hat and say I was wrong.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Either Fagan screwed up or Rich wasnt listening.

All you have to do to neutralise GAJ is be between him and the goals. One way runner who only looks up.

And how the hell do you let Hawkins take the ball in every single ruck contest all night.

2 weeks to do player research and drill for it.

Yeah that’s all you have to do. That’s all it takes to neutralise one of the best ball users ever to lace up a boot.

Same way all you have to do make David Bowie look average is to just knock up a quick Space Oddity on a Sunday afternoon

Nobody is denying the further improvement nor that they won’t make savvy recruitment calls. I just think it’s ludacris to expect said improvement to be a bigger counterweight than 50% less home games + no home grand final in coming seasons, which let’s face it is a massive tip of the scales the other way.

Just based on that they’d have to improve out of sight to win it next year. If they do I’ll bloody tip my hat and say I was wrong.

You stated "coming years" in the previous post and now "next year". May be let's decide where your goal posts lie before you move it again in your next post.

I'd say majority of our core is 23 and below - I say this by keeping Harris Andrews as the barometer, and he is 23. When this group gets another 1-2 years of experience and more recruits around them, they'll take that next step - be it home or away or wherever.

Oct 14, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
You stated "coming years" in the previous post and now "next year". May be let's decide where your goal posts lie before you move it again in your next post.

I'd say majority of our core is 23 and below - I say this by keeping Harris Andrews as the barometer, and he is 23. When this group gets another 1-2 years of experience and more recruits around them, they'll take that next step - be it home or away or wherever.
No goal posts have been moved. Exact same point whether we’re talking next year or in coming years pending the resumption of normal fixtures.

No goal posts have been moved. Exact same point whether we’re talking next year or in coming years pending the resumption of normal fixtures.

ok, If you're saying we may not win next year - then yes the first time is the hardest so missing next year is a possibility.

In the coming years (like a never ending continuum) ?? now that's just a long bow to extrapolate. Will leave you to it as you seem to enjoy this angle more.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Literally this weekend, YOUR TEAM will be playing against an opponent who, it was reported by all and sundry, could only win by playing at their home ground. 21 matches later, the last 15 of them or something away from that ground, and we are in a grand final.

At what point will people ever, ever, ever stop making these stupid blanket statements?

Back