Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I watched 360 last night. Buckley will be given another contract. When they spoke about all of the players hugging him after the win, that is a huge tick to any incumbent coach. I think that was one of the reasons he remained after the review in 2017. Pendles in particular and most of the players wanted him to be their coach.
Yes it was a sign of unity from players hugging Bucks entering the rooms after a good win, admittedly it was mixed emotions for me as it reminded me of our strong 2018/2019 seasons and how unified our group was/still is?
Doesn’t change my want for a change of coach.

Can you imagine the reaction if they renew him. I can't bear the thought.

A lot of our supporters will be in a state of despair. Meanwhile, opposition supporters will be laughing knowing we don't pose a serious threat to the competition.

A playing group committed to a Coach is a huge step to the road to success - if you fear that at the Club, because it happens to be under Buckley, then you don’t understand what’s needed for team success.

And if you’re losing sleep about what other supporters think of your team then, I’m tipping as a Coll supporter you’re permanently on sleeping pills.

Why should we care about what other supporters think?

GW will have weighed up all the issues and Buckley may or may not survive - either way we should trust his judgment.

I don't think there is any doubt that the players love and respect Bucks. The question for the club is whether they think he has lost his ability. He got us into a GF the year after the review, and then a PF the following year. He was then extended for 2 more years. For Bucks to be sacked, the club would need to believe he has peaked, lost his ability or, more likely, have another coach they believe is better and gettable.

Who is better? Clarkson and Hardwick have the runs on the board. Hardwick won't leave Richmond while more premierships beckon. Clarkson may be gettable, but he has one more year and I reckon the Hawks will honour that and hand over to Mitchell in 2023.

There is absolutely no point in going for a young, untried coach. Why would they move Bucks along for an untried coach. Can't see it. Ditto an already failed young coach like Voss.

I can't see any logical reason for Collingwood to change horses.

So now the narrative is 'it's better to extend him' among a few here.

There are good arguments to keep him as well, I get that.

However if there is no alternative or he is the best available, then it's likely the rebuild with Nathan will not be successful, as has proven already.

So for those wishing the club extend his contract, are you concerned about no success? Is it just meh? Have some wins along the way on a hiding to nothing?

Yeah I get the fear of getting a new coach and things get worse but if we don't change then we don't change and we'll have to enjoy lament the status quo. :shrug:

100 years of VFL/AFL history indicating Buckley will never be a Premiership coach now still seems like a logic worth following to me and even if a change of coach provides us with no more than a 10% chance of a flag that is still better odds than retaining Buckley who'll need to achieve something no other coach has EVER!

Christ, it's hard enough for this club to win a Premiership as it is!

History means nothing in these circumstances Swoop. Damien Hardwick broke all the history rules did he not? It has nothing to do with history. It's all about whether Buckley has the confidence of Wright and Anderson. Unless they know they have somebody else lined up, he stays. Getting rid of a coach because a section of the supporter base is baying for blood, is no way to run a club.

I don't think there is any doubt that the players love and respect Bucks. The question for the club is whether they think he has lost his ability. He got us into a GF the year after the review, and then a PF the following year. He was then extended for 2 more years. For Bucks to be sacked, the club would need to believe he has peaked, lost his ability or, more likely, have another coach they believe is better and gettable.

Who is better? Clarkson and Hardwick have the runs on the board. Hardwick won't leave Richmond while more premierships beckon. Clarkson may be gettable, but he has one more year and I reckon the Hawks will honour that and hand over to Mitchell in 2023.

There is absolutely no point in going for a young, untried coach. Why would they move Bucks along for an untried coach. Can't see it. Ditto an already failed young coach like Voss.

I can't see any logical reason for Collingwood to change horses.
Make the same mistake twice for one. Yeah the other option may be untried. But the alternative is well and truly tried and found wanting.

Make the same mistake twice for one. Yeah the other option may be untried. But the alternative is well and truly tried and found wanting.
I don't understand this line of argument. Bucks was coach of the year in 2018. He hasn't lost his ability. He hasn't lost the players. He is a very good coach. Ross Lyon has never won a flag and has been touted as a fine coach for ten years. Some want him to replace Bucks. For what purpose other than to make a change?
The other thing people seem to overlook is Bucks is widely admired and respected as a good coach. Footy people are unanimous on this. He stays IMO.

I don't understand this line of argument. Bucks was coach of the year in 2018. He hasn't lost his ability. He hasn't lost the players. He is a very good coach. Ross Lyon has never won a flag and has been touted as a fine coach for ten years. Some want him to replace Bucks. For what purpose other than to make a change?
The other thing people seem to overlook is Bucks is widely admired and respected as a good coach. Footy people are unanimous on this. He stays IMO.
I think that award is just as much Longmuirs and Hockings

So now the narrative is 'it's better to extend him' among a few here.

There are good arguments to keep him as well, I get that.

However if there is no alternative or he is the best available, then it's likely the rebuild with Nathan will not be successful, as has proven already.

So for those wishing the club extend his contract, are you concerned about no success? Is it just meh? Have some wins along the way on a hiding to nothing?

Yeah I get the fear of getting a new coach and things get worse but if we don't change then we don't change and we'll have to enjoy lament the status quo. :shrug:

I'm not completely against it. If we jump on the cycle of untried coaches I could see us spiraling in to a carlton-esque decade of misery. A lot of the 'narrative' is created by the media - they got rid of McGuire based on nothing and now love all the stories of board instability etc etc. They want to do the same with Buckley. Mostly I just think fk em, don't give em what they want. Bucks might not have the game plan long term but he's good enough for the rebuild. And as others have pointed out if you cant get Clarkson then its untried or also rans like Lyon whose brand of anti football would kill our soul.

100 years of VFL/AFL history indicating Buckley will never be a Premiership coach now still seems like a logic worth following to me and even if a change of coach provides us with no more than a 10% chance of a flag that is still better odds than retaining Buckley who'll need to achieve something no other coach has EVER!

Christ, it's hard enough for this club to win a Premiership as it is!

A new coach provides us with a 5.5% chance of winning a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is more than NCB's chances

Exactly the same up until an hour ago, 5.5%. It's what it is when you're 1 chance in 18.

We don't know much yet, but will know more after the presser at 11am.
My theory, from limited info we have, is that it seems the board has decided to save its own skin. It saw it would be booted out if it stuck with Buckley and Wright was given the job of telling him that this year would be his last. Bucks, always his own man, decided to clear the air and give the board some space.
I think this will now kill Jeff Browne's push. There will also be more drama. The first domino was Ed and now Bucks has fallen on his sword. I just hope we get a chance to say goodbye at the MCG. It would be such a shame if his last game were to be at the SCG.

Exactly the same up until an hour ago, 5.5%. It's what it is when you're 1 chance in 18.
Prob 1 in 18 on initial appt - that might change quickly based on performance - certainly doesn't stay at 1 in 18.

We don't know much yet, but will know more after the presser at 11am.
My theory, from limited info we have, is that it seems the board has decided to save its own skin. It saw it would be booted out if it stuck with Buckley and Wright was given the job of telling him that this year would be his last. Bucks, always his own man, decided to clear the air and give the board some space.
I think this will now kill Jeff Browne's push. There will also be more drama. The first domino was Ed and now Bucks has fallen on his sword. I just hope we get a chance to say goodbye at the MCG. It would be such a shame if his last game were to be at the SCG.
This board should still go. They are also responsible for the recent failures. It’s not all Buckley that’s for sure.

If we start miraculously playing better now, I'll be incredibly annoyed at the playing group. It shows they just dont care and I'd potentially be looking at trading the players who miraculously improve

If we start miraculously playing better now, I'll be incredibly annoyed at the playing group. It shows they just dont care and I'd potentially be looking at trading the players who miraculously improve
I feel like there could certainly be some improvement from some players. I definitely have noticed historically with mid-season coaching changes that players whose future is in doubt lift, as they realise their career hangs in the balance

I feel like there could certainly be some improvement from some players. I definitely have noticed historically with mid-season coaching changes that players whose future is in doubt lift, as they realise their career hangs in the balance
I kind of agree. Usually the team performs better after sacking the coach so I'd move on the players who improve, due to the fact they often regress over the next few years as they are peaking and we trade them while their value as high. Carlton & St Kilda are good examples of this.

a mute point now. but furthermore Buckley has proven he can rebuild a list. Lyon has only taken over lists and then ran off when it gets too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back