Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Maybe bucks didn’t want to coach forever either. We ain’t contending in the next 3 years. That will be 13 years before he’s got another shot. Maybe he was offered 12 months and said nah. Who really knows

If we start miraculously playing better now, I'll be incredibly annoyed at the playing group. It shows they just dont care and I'd potentially be looking at trading the players who miraculously improve

What if we started winning by conceding 3 more goals a game but kicking 5 more ourselves? Would you be pissed off, or would that tell you something different?

Maybe bucks didn’t want to coach forever either. We ain’t contending in the next 3 years. That will be 13 years before he’s got another shot. Maybe he was offered 12 months and said nah. Who really knows
If you watched the full press conference its clear that wasn't the case and the fact he's gone mid season.

What if we started winning by conceding 3 more goals a game but kicking 5 more ourselves? Would you be pissed off, or would that tell you something different?

For me that would just be confirmation that Buckley is one of the most astute football brains that’s ever walked the earth, but his ability to impart that knowledge on others and have them operate as a collective fell short. Basically it’s highly likely to be the same message just delivered in a way that resonates differently with the players.

For me that would just be confirmation that Buckley is one of the most astute football brains that’s ever walked the earth, but his ability to impart that knowledge on others and have them operate as a collective fell short. Basically it’s highly likely to be the same message just delivered in a way that resonates differently with the players.
Have a feeling that he wasn't crash hot at delivering a concise message that stuck with the players when the heat was on in a game.

Why is this thread still up?

Pandering to the haters seems the only likely reason seeing as he has stepped down.

I think if Bucks was offered any tenure beyond this year he'd still be the head coach beyond Monday.

I don't understand this line of argument. Bucks was coach of the year in 2018. He hasn't lost his ability. He hasn't lost the players. He is a very good coach. Ross Lyon has never won a flag and has been touted as a fine coach for ten years. Some want him to replace Bucks. For what purpose other than to make a change?
The other thing people seem to overlook is Bucks is widely admired and respected as a good coach. Footy people are unanimous on this. He stays IMO.
We live in a society today unfortunately that puts down any individual who is successful. And since Collingwood supporters crave success more than most other supporters individual success is measured in terms of premierships played and coached. Teams achieve premiership success, not individuals, but more often than not individuals, especially the talented ones, get blamed for things outside their control. What can be controlled and turned into individual success is number of games played, club best and fairness, being called among the best players during finals games and the general respect that person receives from his teammates and his coach. By all those measures Buckley is a successful player. Then you take his coaching record. His team played in multiple finals, his success rate there is above 50% and he never at any point lost the support of his players. Ask Brendon McCartney, Brendon Sanderson and Don Pyke what it's like to lose the support of the players. Alan Jeans was quoted this week as saying he didn't want to known as a great coach, but rather as a coach of a great team. Buckley was denied that opportunity to coach a winning premiership team which says more about elite team sport being a very cruel winner takes all life experience than anything negative about Buckley. The legacy Buckley leaves behind as a coach are the players who are going to form the nucleus of our next premiership team. Our next coach we choose to coach the club will reap all the reward of Buckley's hard labor in preparing the current team. That's life.

I don't understand this line of argument. Bucks was coach of the year in 2018. He hasn't lost his ability. He hasn't lost the players. He is a very good coach. Ross Lyon has never won a flag and has been touted as a fine coach for ten years. Some want him to replace Bucks. For what purpose other than to make a change?
The other thing people seem to overlook is Bucks is widely admired and respected as a good coach. Footy people are unanimous on this. He stays IMO.

Sorry Apples, but this did not age well 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you search my posts, I think I said he would see the year out. I too was wrong.:(

It blindsided me for sure! I just found it unfortunate for Apples that he went that hard in support of Bucks when the hammer had already fallen and all that was left to do when that post was made was to tell the media and supporters.

It was only ever my opinion I was giving so not sure the point you're trying to make.
No point mate ,just a bit of fun, been a few comments on posting without putting imo before or after comment lately,
not inferring it was you or Maggie 5 either. Both of you are great posters.

No point mate ,just a bit of fun, been a few comments on posting without putting imo before or after comment lately,
not inferring it was you or Maggie 5 either. Both of you are great posters.
You shouldn't have fixed it for me. IMO is always a fact.;):D

IMO is also unnecessary. Surely any poster with half a brain can tell the difference between a fact and an opinion.
We are just having a joke.

Although I must admit there is many a poster who posts an opinion but in their head consider it as fact. :D

Did you watch today. Players who had poor weeks coming in all miraculously improved, and bucks was still the coach

Did you watch today. Players who had poor weeks coming in all miraculously improved, and bucks was still the coach

T’was bizarre, but welcome, and sad all at the same time.

Our 1st qtrs have surely been the best in the comp for a few years now. That suggests as a planning coach he’s quite good. Game day not as much once the opposition adjusts in 2nd and 3rd qtrs.

You can be the greatest coach in the world but there’s not a lot you can do when a player misses from 25m in front.

I think Bucks got a bit too clever with game style after 2018.

Worst thing that ever happened was the win in 2019 Rd2 against Richmond. That was when we started with the short and slowball movement. Went from quick movement in 2018 to slow and short.

Last 2wks was a much better mix of kicking longer and looking for corridor, which resulted in goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back