Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Because it doesn't ingrain the bad habits now. Because it gives Wright a chance to see whether players are worth retaining.

Would they? There's a reason Harvey and Sanderson have been there for donkey's years.

You don't have to. I would be happy enough with Carroll for now. But you contact managers and begin putting the process in place so you know where you stand. Maybe Yze is happy where he is and has no interest in a senior position.

That wasn't ruthlessness - it was stupidity.

Ruthlessness would have been telling Grundy it's four years or nothing.

Ruthlessness would have been telling DeGoey here's $400,000 - earn the rest or look elsewhere.

Ruthlessness would have been not extending Pendlebury's contract again. That $750,000 would have easily kept Treloar (and Stephenson).

Game Plan - so we set a new game plan to then have a new Coach undo it.
Are you reading what you’re writing?

Assistants - the difference today is GW is in charge

Coach - so you agree a permanent Coach can’t be appointed now as the available Coaches would be a compromised list.
So all the previous benefits you alluded to with a permanent appointment can’t happen, so sacking is pointless.

Last edited:

I think that has already started Matt, second lowest crowd for us on the weekend at the G in 30 odd years . people are losing interest in what has been the Collingwood sh!tshow of the last 8 months, time to rejuvenate the whole club, only one who should stay is Wright , the rest can go , see ya Bucks , won`t be purchasing family membership next year if he is still there . first time in 45 years . enough of my hard earned for this rabble of an outfit, most are losing interest, I am tuning out, not as emotionally invested as i have been, I don`t mind losing, but when the players have tuned out , what is point of flogging a dead horse. rather mow the lawn

I can see that. We're all invested and feel that the mismanagement that has taken place is a let-down.

I have the good luck of being married to a nice girl. Unfortunately she and her whole family support Richmond. I call them fair-weather supporters because they abandoned their club when it was struggling.

I refuse to give them the same ammunition. I won't buy a family membership next year because my kids are old but I'll always buy 1 for myself. Gives me the right to bag the club when they mess up like they have now. :)

Call me optimistic but I feel we can turn this around; maybe not this year, but relatively soon.

Never mind match day. Our coaches lose it at the selection table. The amount of nonsensical decisions has been a source of frustration for years. Not only is it a detriment on match day, it's also the reason we have a gap in development in our 22-26 year olds.

Imagine if Scharenberg had been given the opportunity to play the no pressure wing role Mayne has. If Sier had the extra number of games in his development that was wasted on the clearly limited Wills. If Murphy would now have 20 games under his belt instead of the 2 cause we kept playing Madgen. If we believed in Stephenson recapturing his 2018 form instead of hoping Thomas/WHE recapture 2018
Well said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustration of Buckley is the below . not a flag - i dont buy into two single incidents that it boils down. thats a cop out in assessment of a poor career coach

Youth Development - not evident in his 10 years
List Balance - Lack of KP, Lack of young mids developed
Game Plan - what is our game play in year 10 ? No one knows
Player/Personality management - cant handle the players outside the box - too hard basket , move them on
This.
And add in a stubborn retention of mates / idols as assistant coaches

you’ve lost that argument many times already this year - including today.
No football person with a neutral view is buying your naive view - no one

Lol, you can keep repeating the same garbage but no one is listening.

Going to win our first wooden spoon this century and you call that improvement...

Can’t even blame tanking because they gave away our draft picks last year for nothing, much like they gave away 3 first round picks worth of players for absolutely nothing

Lloyd hates Collingwood and Buckley.
He actually gets a lot of his material from journo mates. He obv has to agree with it, but regardless, none of this makes what he said wrong. He has some pretty astute people feeding him info too, and he seems keen to get it out there to prove he’s a strong voice in the media.

Good for you, I am the same. Say I am not going then on Tuesday buy tickets, see the team selected on Friday then reinforce my mind that I am not going but then am there on the day. After a day like yesterday, wonder why I went then back to the same routine next week.

I love my club and even through the Shaw (liked what he was trying to do with the squad he had) and Malthouse (couldn't and can't stand him) years, never missed a game.

Black and white runs through my veins.:)
It’s a blessing and a curse.

Would be madness
Believe it.
You saw our recruitment of Gubby, Mayne, Wells, Beams. You saw us "tweak" our gamestyle to a much shitter one after 2018, you saw our last trade period, you saw the "do better" report, you saw the way it was all "handled", You just saw the board appoint an insider president instead of a change agent.
That's how we roll
We are crazy man.. craaaaazzzy

Lol, you can keep repeating the same garbage but no one is listening.

Going to win our first wooden spoon this century and you call that improvement...

Can’t even blame tanking because they gave away our draft picks last year for nothing, much like they gave away 3 first round picks worth of players for absolutely nothing

And yet the fact remains, your analysis is simplistic bearing no resemblance to what would actually used in the real world.

My belief is Buckley is a good coach if he has good assistants around him.

His best years were 2018 and 2019 when Longmuir Boyd and Hocking were around him. He could rely on them to do their jobs and offer tactical support.

They leave and we are left with Sanderson, Harvey et al.

It might be too late now but for whoever the coach will be going forward, whether it is Buckley or not, they must ensure the people around them can contribute something positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back