Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
One thing I have never understood re McGovern is everyone knows he reads the ball well, so why not let him lead you to it and at worst spoil?

They started side by side degoey didn't put effort in at all was lazy and not the type of desperation you typically see in dying minutes of a gf when up by 2 points.

Those saying he was looking for a low % spill out the back are kidding themselves look at the positioning McGovern had and at the time was one of the best marks for a defender also look at degoey body language and intent. He simply didn't try and let him go.
Not blocking, but front on contact. I didn't think Maynard should have gotten a free as I think he initiated the contact with Rioli, but to me that one on Mihocek was a WCE player in a marking contest with his back to the ball pushing a bloke going for the ball.

Maynard's was 100% a free.
Rioli see's him come to contest and moves away from the drop zone across to Maynard who is heading to sheed.
Clear block and impeding his run at the footy not even in doubt clear free. Go to 1:23 mins and re look at it.

Last edited:

Just imagine for a moment of the unthinkable - Buckley gets extended into 2022. This blog site would officially blow up. It would be amusing however I prefer to get my kicks else where thank you very much.

It all depends on how we play not who, if we win 5 games we ain't playing well. Not good optics
What is your point?
Do you want to sack Buckley now?
What is it that you actually want to see happen?

No Spin

You're argument that Buckley is one of the better performing coaches over the past 3 years is statistically correct. However if I may, it is a little skewed and somewhat self serving. I'm not sure how you can have a meaningful debate about Buckley the coach without scrutinizing his entire tenure as coach. To discount the 1st 6 years is to effectively say that they were his apprenticeship years and hence don't count.

You've made a great point about the Collingwood coaching job being a poisoned chalice for him.

Such a weird moment in history.

McGuire and Buckley did a deal to undermine a successful coach and build the Chalice and then fill it with bad juju. MM was blindsided by hubris in its most abject form.

The Pies will recover from this era.

Such a weird moment in history.

McGuire and Buckley did a deal to undermine a successful coach and build the Chalice and then fill it with bad juju. MM was blindsided by hubris in its most abject form.

The Pies will recover from this era.

From all reports Buckley wanted to stay an assistant for 2012 and allow MM to close out the group he had but the board said no.

Imo that was a poor decision on the boards behalf as Buckley lost half that playing group and immediately was put under pressure and blame game starting for ending an era.

Ultimate accountability would be a good start
Would it?
Buckley gets sacked. Harvey or Sanderson are appointed as caretaker.
We go onto to win a few games.
What happens next?
Be careful what you wish for.

From all reports Buckley wanted to stay an assistant for 2012 and allow MM to close out the group he had but the board said no.

Imo that was a poor decision on the boards behalf as Buckley lost half that playing group and immediately was put under pressure and blame game starting for ending an era.
The succession again. Gee whizz.
You know, Mick also lost three flags.

JDG cost us that Premiership. Plain and simple.
Absolute bollocks.

What were you saying DeGoey nailed our only goal in Q2 from on the flank outside 50?

Or when DeGoey kicked the huge goal at the start of Q4 following up from Checker to see us jump out to a two goal lead with all the momentum.

DeGoey played his part as forward who occasionally pushes into the middle.

Our engine room - Steele with 14 disposals, Pendles with 20 - being outplayed by the Eagles that saw them have 15 more inside 50s than us was what cost us the 18 GF.

There were 5 players on the ground who didn't register an inside 50, Steele and Pendles were 2 of them....that is where we lost the game, our best two players gave us no drive at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute bollocks.

What were you saying DeGoey nailed our only goal in Q2 from on the flank outside 50?

Or when DeGoey kicked the huge goal at the start of Q4 following up from Checker to see us jump out to a two goal lead with all the momentum.

DeGoey played his part as forward who occasionally pushes into the middle.

Our engine room - Steele with 14 disposals, Pendles with 20 - being outplayed by the Eagles that saw them have 15 more inside 50s than us was what cost us the 18 GF.

There were 5 players on the ground who didn't register an inside 50, Steele and Pendles were 2 of them....that is where we lost the game, our best two players gave us no drive at all.

The difference is they were nullified and beaten on the day but were giving it their all, degoey in the dying minutes took the easy way out and was lazy.
He 100% played a big part in why we didn't hang on in that game, but as you state is one of many moments to go against us.

He was talking about it, but people always leave out that Buckley was willing to step aside for 2012 for the betterment of the club/team but was blocked by the board.
I don’t know if that’s true or not. What is clear though is that many posters are obsessed with Malthouse, even though by their own measurement he failed 75% of the time.

I don’t know if that’s true or not. What is clear though is that many posters are obsessed with Malthouse, even though by their own measurement he failed 75% of the time.

Yup MM had some horrid GF selections and gamely moves.

I do thinkbthough that the club, Buckley and MM would of been best served had MM was given 2012 to allow the wheels to fall off properly or potentially go one step further.

How long are you going to go on about our past? We all know it.
What are you trying to achieve?

Being a Collingwood supporter has never been easy. We all hope there is a flag in our future, but we can’t change the past. Your constant reminders about our failures is really tedious.
as is your constant defence of the indefensible

as is your constant defence of the indefensible
Rubbish. I accept that this is likely to be Buckley’s last season, and that change is needed. It is you who constantly troll through the past.

Yup MM had some horrid GF selections and gamely moves.

I do thinkbthough that the club, Buckley and MM would of been best served had MM was given 2012 to allow the wheels to fall off properly or potentially go one step further.
Maybe, but can’t be changed now. We can learn from the past though. Let Buckley coach out the year, loosen the reigns and play the kids.
Interview coaching candidates for 2022, appoint the best available.

Please tell us all what the point is?
there's little point in pointing it out..

the post of mine to which you objected was a reply in which I had more of a light hearted crack at Winston Churchill than at Cwood - you think any critic of the club or your pov deserves to be driven off the board or sent to Siberia.

the end of the McGuire / Buckley era is a another mess which Cwood seems good at creating - sadly.

there's little point in pointing it out..

the post of mine to which you objected was a reply in which I had more of a light hearted crack at Winston Churchill than at Cwood - you think any critic of the club or your pov deserves to be driven off the board or sent to Siberia.

the end of the McGuire / Buckley era is a another mess which Cwood seems good at creating - sadly.
You have been posting about our grand final failures for some time now. Your username has been created to reflect that.

So I’ll ask again, what is the point you are trying to make?

You have been posting about our grand final failures for some time now. Your username has been created to reflect that.
So I’ll ask again, what is the point you are trying to make?
put it this way - atm Cwood needs major overhauls on and off the field - the off field stuff has been apparent since at least when McGuire brought back Gubby Allen - heaps of other issues as well.

Cwood always talks itself up way beyond its on field performance - where flags are the measure. The other stuff - Brownlows, coach of the the year etc might be cute but ain't why we put a team on the field.

The "biggest sporting club in Australia" looks pretty ordinary right now - might get fixed in 3-5 years - who knows?

Last edited:
put it this way - atm Cwood needs major overhauls on a
It’s already happening.
President gone.
New Football Manager.
New President coming and board changes.
New coaching panel for 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back