Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
MM - 13th and 16th after losing a GF, proving an inability to keep a top squad competitive
Bucks - 4th and 6th after a GF loss, proving the opposite.
It can go on and on - but it’s all vacuous and simplistic, discussion.

The only thing that goes on and on.. is your endless supply of alphabet soup posts in support of a one Mr Nathan Charles Buckley.

MM because he won flag - I think that’s self evident.
If Milne picks up the ball and kicks a goal or Sheed misses, then it could easily be reversed.

I get ya.. siezing the moment.. does not play a big part in sport.. Campbell sister's gold medallists at the last Olympics?

MM because he won flag - I think that’s self evident.
If Milne picks up the ball and kicks a goal or Sheed misses, then it could easily be reversed.

The Gimp's daily wisdom nugget.. proudly sponsored by the Lavazza Turkish Coffee Cup.

'Green jacket.. gold jacket.. Maradona's Hand of God.. The Milne and Sheed incidents.. all part of the theatre of life my friend.

It is what it is and that re.'

I'd say MM and his influence around the club had a far better feel about it.
Seemed a more united club, although there were players that didn't like Mick too.
Plenty of off field issues during Mick’s time with the Pies and Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 flags make limited difference to the TREND LINE that you are so thrilled to have constructed.
Thats the point.
Whether or not the chart is flawed. It's pretty hard to get around the fact that we've only improved our ladder position once in 10 years.

Whether or not the chart is flawed. It's pretty hard to get around the fact that we've only improved our ladder position once in 10 years.

when you jump from 13th to 2nd In one year you take out a lot of steps in between.
Would incremental gains one rung position at a time, have been a better indication of Coaching prowess, just to improve this flawed metric?

12 finals in that time for 5 wins and 7 losses.

when you jump from 13th to 2nd In one year you take out a lot of steps in between.
Would incremental gains one rung position at a time, have been a better indication of Coaching prowess, just to improve this flawed metric?

A soft draw in 2018 ?
1977 we played every team twice after coming last.

When you jump from 13th to 2nd without and significant changes to the team, except your defence getting injured, it's a great effort. But it also suggests that that the team finishing 13th the year before was a massive underachievement.

The one year of improvement was straight after a performance review where he was told to do things very differently. His report card should read. "Nathan can perform well when given a lot of additional instructions, but he struggles to work independently. He would be well suited to a role that doesn't require independent decision making ."

soft draw - then we should have gone out in straight sets if we were no good.

Harder draw in 2019 and PF finish proved 2018 was no fluke.

Well yes and no,
Our draw put us into a position and results from other games.
And many other factors in the prelim.
Dusty was on one leg and Cox played the game of his life.

When you jump from 13th to 2nd without and significant changes to the team, except your defence getting injured, it's a great effort. But it also suggests that that the team finishing 13th the year before was a massive underachievement.

The one year of improvement was straight after a performance review where he was told to do things very differently. His report card should read. "Nathan can perform well when given a lot of additional instructions, but he struggles to work independently. He would be well suited to a role that doesn't require independent decision making ."

lets stop with the one year of improvement narrative -I’ve just explained it’s irrelevance. Particularly as we made the PF in 2019, still made the 8 last year. So clearly improvement since 2017 was not a fluke.

Now you want to shift the goals post to the review - isn’t a review undertaken to find a new insight to improving the club?
It worked spectacularly but you don’t want to give any credit to Bucks - that’s a fanciful position.
You want to blame him for everything before the review but give him no credit post the review.
Sounds very unfair and biased to me.

Mick Malthouse got the club to 4 grand finals and a Win, we shipped him off after a losing GF and here we are debating if bucks should go after 10 years, 1 gf, nil flags, a review and now and sitting 17th.. fmd
Mick resigned.

Well yes and no,
Our draw put us into a position and results from other games.
And many other factors in the prelim.
Dusty was on one leg and Cox played the game of his life.

ok - if you want to discredit our wins.
Then why not also explain that Bucks was robbed of a flag due to Maynard not getting a blocking free.
You can’t have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back