Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:

KJaY32

Debutant
Jul 21, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do
It almost was. Tommy Hafey’s wasn’t good enough either. Luck plays a major part at Collingwood.
The guy deserves respect, just because he was appointed by Eddie, doesn’t mean he deserves to be crucified with him. Maybe not the best analogy given it’s Good Friday tomorrow.
we not forget about bucks saying he took a step back that year. I think that was the difference and because they did so well I feel like his his obsession for a premiership took back over. Because we play like we did pre 2018.

The coaching feels okay at the moment, the reality is we have a lot of average players in the side.

Going better than I thought we might.

Like the Late 90 SIdes. Good Top End but Little depth in the AFL Side

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
So after 10 years, the coach isn’t responsible for continuing to pick so many average players?

Well, there is a selection committee. It isn’t just one person.

The drafting up forward has been horrific for many years and it shows. Backline great, mids solid, forwards our weakest area and failed to be addressed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
Well, there is a selection committee. It isn’t just one person.

The drafting up forward has been horrific for many years and it shows. Backline great, mids solid, forwards our weakest area and failed to be addressed.

Which appears to be the coaches plan. He drove away our best key forward this century. But we won’t be fixing it anytime in the next 7 years.

What a surprise to see you continuing to celebrate mediocrity. You must actually be a Carlton fan, no one is happy seeing their side always losing!
You must actually be English.

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
So you’re claiming the coach has no say in who we gave away? Had no say in the refusal to recruit a single key forward in the last 10 years?
I’m not prepared to say that, however all I will say is that he’s only one vote in a critical decision making process.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Then don’t play them. He is responsible for the team that is put out on the field

We have nothing to show for 5 years of 1st round picks, completely burnt them - Treloar x2, Beams, Stevo.

We have a list that needs a refresh again.

Hine should be moved on, Buckley is coaching with what we have at the moment - a player drafted from the VFL where he was a fullback and an American as our key forwards.

AndrewShawble

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which appears to be the coaches plan. He drove away our best key forward this century. But we won’t be fixing it anytime in the next 7 years.

Im not saying Buckley doesn’t have a hand in this, I’m saying he’s coaching okay considering the team on the park.

How many goals did Cloke kick for the dogs?

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England
I’m not prepared to say that, however all I will say is that he’s only one vote in a critical decision making process.

He’s also the head of the decision making process

But it was always destined to fail, all recent premiership coaches have learnt under successful coaches at other clubs, yet Buckley hasn’t been outside Collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back