Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
I have a question for Nathan re his comments on Grundy:

If the ruck position isn't that important but rather what happens at ground level as you allude to, then why are we spending 1 million bucks a year on Grundy when we could use some of those bucks to make rucking more important like a Nic Nat? More than certain if a little brain power with the right mentor we could have a Brodie Nui on our hands.

If it doesn't matter so much why are we spending so much on it? Don't we learn lessons of spending too much at Collingwood? Maybe dumb questions I mean it is Collingwood after all.
In fairness Bucks said total hit outs is a rubbish stat. Advantage hit outs are not.
I'm sure you are aware, but maybe not wanting to acknowledge, Grundy averaged over 20 Possessions/ game in 2019, 65% contested...6 clearances etc etc.
Unless i am missing something, that's a little more than HO's is it not? In fact, it another mid.

I'll add to this and cue in the Buckley defenders 'BUt reNDLE IS a mUPIT thaT HaTES US'

Don't care, it makes sense what he's saying here, whether or not genuine we have hit out dominance and aint usin it like wc are. Imagine if we would! That much ho dominance SHOULD result is clearance slaughters and would go a long way to winning games. That can't be argued.

So the question remains, if hit outs are not so important then why are paying this guy so much?, why not jus give him half?, or better still make him earn his dollars and actually hit out to advantage? Or is it that you don't have faith in our mids to rove such dominance?

Whatever it is there is inconsistency and non transparency, we're either paying way way too much for ho dominance or the game and structure actually IS too conservative and defensive as is predicted.

Either either we ain't winnin the cup with this rubbish.

I'll add to this and cue in the Buckley defenders 'BUt reNDLE IS a mUPIT thaT HaTES US'

Don't care, it makes sense what he's saying here, whether or not genuine we have hit out dominance and aint usin it like wc are. Imagine if we would! That much ho dominance SHOULD result is clearance slaughters and would go a long way to winning games. That can't be argued.

So the question remains, if hit outs are not so important then why are paying this guy so much?, why not jus give him half?, or better still make him earn his dollars and actually hit out to advantage? Or is it that you don't have faith in our mids to rove such dominance?

Whatever it is there is inconsistency and non transparency, we're either paying way way too much for ho dominance or the game and structure actually IS too conservative and defensive as is predicted.

Either either we ain't winnin the cup with this rubbish.
Why have a ruck at all? 🤔

Unless he's bluffing.. this is ridiculous..

View attachment 1096234

I mean the logic is sound. They were ahead on the scorecard for most of the match until it mattered most aka 2018 GF.

The sad thing here is that a past champion player is largely being ridiculed by the majority of supporters who once adored him. It's demeaning and quite sad really.

I mean the logic is sound. They were ahead on the scorecard for most of the match until it mattered most aka 2018 GF.

The sad thing here is that a past champion player is largely being ridiculed by the majority of supporters who once adored him. It's demeaning and quite sad really.
Posters are commenting on his performance as coach- not his playing career. Some of the language he uses is imprenetrable. The players would be bamboozled if he uses that language with them. That's what sad.

Ridiculed as a coach.. not as a player.

It's important to be able to stop momentum when a team gets a run on you. But you've also got to be able to stand up and go again. I don't know if it is by instruction or not but our team can't switch back on. It lost us the game vs the Lions. It's characteristic of Buckley's side.

It's important to be able to stop momentum when a team gets a run on you. But you've also got to be able to stand up and go again. I don't know if it is by instruction or not but our team can't switch back on. It lost us the game vs the Lions. It's characteristic of Buckley's side.
I’ve never seen a side so capable of building a 30pt lead, knowing full well we a. Won’t blow the side out of the park, and b, The lead is going to be lost. It’s nothing short of baffling

I agree, however at the same time, he has been given plenty of opportunities to prove himself as a coach, and it could be justifiability said, perhaps more than enough chances.
People will only remain sentimental for so long.
Further to that, what did he learn from leading for most of the 2018 Grand Final? Not much, based on the theme of the game last Thursday.

I agree, however at the same time, he has been given plenty of opportunities to prove himself as a coach, and it could be justifiability said, perhaps more than enough chances.
People will only remain sentimental for so long.
Further to that, what did he learn from leading for most of the 2018 Grand Final? Not much, based on the theme of the game last Thursday.

Agree with above.

People have remained sentimental for an extended period of time no doubt. For someone who had concerns from day 1, it's been interesting to observe the slow change in sentiment towards all being pro Buckley to majority being pro to now the minority. The thing is this sentimentally is very dangerous because it probably wouldn't take much for it to reverse back eg a strong finish to the season resulting in say a 6th placed finish might do the trick. Of course this is neither here nor there in terms of ultimate flag success and particularly given that material change is absolutely required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with above.

People have remained sentimental for an extended period of time no doubt. For someone who had concerns from day 1, it's been interesting to observe the slow change in sentiment towards all being pro Buckley to majority being pro to now the minority. The thing is this sentimentally is very dangerous because it probably wouldn't take much for it to reverse back eg a strong finish to the season resulting in say a 6th placed finish might do the trick. Of course this is neither here nor there in terms of ultimate flag success and particularly given that material change is absolutely required.
I think that ship has finally sailed. Only a close loss in a prelim, or dare I say it, GF will save him now.

Getting on to a decade since he took the reigns.
And no silverware.
And none on the horizon.
He had a golden opportunity, in fact two golden opportunities.
Taking over a team with a premiership and a runners up recent season results. I won’t say how Geelong changed coaches and still won a premiership, because those things just don’t happen.... do they?
That was opportunity one, but he pissed it up against the wall trying to turn the team into 18 midfielders.
Opportunity two came about pretty much by luck. And boy it looked like he had been kissed on the dick such was the first half performance, but then it came down to coaching tactics. And his tactics were exposed costing us yet another Premiership.
How long do we need before understanding that it’s not going to happen under him? His comment about being ahead for most of the game smacks of a person who never achieved the ultimate. And therefore doesn’t understand what is required to take the ultimate step.

I love bucks, great player and bleeds for the club. Ive run out of patience with bucks the coach though. A meticulous thinker and strategic planner who has his vision the way his team should play. Rigid, methodical and precise. He has not shown any battle awareness, sometimes you need to counter attack and throw caution away, not just trust your structures and system religiously. When we are on, we play some great footy but when the inevitable counter attack comes we go into our shell and get over run.
same story at the selection table and the past few years list strategy, where is the balance and why the hell do we not have a KPF or two?
I’ll still back the club every week and think we will win every game we play but deep down, I am hoping for the next era to begin. Sad to say that I think the coach’s time is running out and time for a new and fresh direction if there is not a major turnaround, which I am not confident of happening. 10 years is long enough.

This has also been posted in the Grundy thread but it is just as relevant in the discussion here. Hard to disagree with most of what the article suggests. We're a robotic side seemingly unable to play to its strengths.

Jamar's appointment might be a GW move.

This has also been posted in the Grundy thread but it is just as relevant in the discussion here. Hard to disagree with most of what the article suggests. We're a robotic side seemingly unable to play to its strengths.

Jamar's appointment might be a GW move.

We play much like bucks personality, no risk, to serious!

In other words , i am a s**t coach that sends my team out to play a game with one plan that i got from watching under 10s , ie get a few points in front then try and defend it ,and if that fails i have nothing left. But i have my best mates playing and they always give 100% commitment at training.
Have my best mates playing and some even better mates next to me in the coaches' box. We watch closely as we get "nutted at the clearances" and "lose our shape" everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back