Is Buckley A Good Coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The senior coach is an important club figure and a legitimate topic of discussion. It's fair to do so and everyone has a right to express their view.

The mod team observed that the thread was dominated by a few protagonists and their points were repeated i.e. 8 years of regression vs marked improvement in 17,18 etc Pretty much everyone with a strong opinion has already expressed it here.

What further degraded discussion was the simplistic "sack FIGJAM" or "he's a legend" type posts.

This thread will remain open. If your view has slightly shifted or you have new thoughts please share. In an effort to encourage quality discussion repetitive statements and circular arguments will from now on be deleted as will silly posts suggesting that we sack a coach on match-day.

FYI Gone Critical Anzacday Maggie5

Last edited:
Here's a thought.

Instead of seeking out and employing the highest quality assistants we can find to support him, we can get a high quality assistant to replace him this time.

Honestly it's his 10th season in charge. He shouldn't need the best assistants to make him appear a great coach he should be the one making his assistants better because he is a great coach.

Here's a thought.

Instead of seeking out and employing the highest quality assistants we can find to support him, we can get a high quality assistant to replace him this time.

Honestly it's his 10th season in charge. He shouldn't need the best assistants to make him appear a great coach he should be the one making his assistants better because he is a great coach.
100%

Both sides do it.
I’m yet to ascertain whether it’s in hope The Club will take notice or to convince those with opposing views.
Maybe it’s both?

That's why it's great to have people like me on here and that re.. to set the record straight.

Am I a great or what re?

“Since round seven last year, when they defeated Geelong to go to third, the Magpies have won seven of 19 games, beating Sydney, Adelaide, North, Carlton, the Suns, and then the Eagles in the thrilling upset final in Perth last year. This year they have beaten just Carlton”

Look at all those great teams we’ve beaten....

Seriously, it’s time to fix this sinking ship

isn’t the whole point of getting assistants to improve the team - if so then what’s the issue.

People bag Buckley’s Coaching ability, due to poor results prior to 2018 (when he had lower quality assistants) and then bag him again with good results, insisting it was due to the high quality of the assistants.

So the critics want it both ways.
There was no issue in 2018, but where's the turnover in assistants since then? We've had quality assistant coaches leave, who made a big difference in 2018, but no notable replacements.

If bucks continues on beyond 2021, the stale assistant coaches must change - must have new people to challenge the current procedures.

Here's a thought.

Plus good assistants won’t hang around as assistants if they’re the ones doing the hard work.

A good coach has a good turnover of assistants as they become hot property.

There was no issue in 2018, but where's the turnover in assistants since then? We've had quality assistant coaches leave, who made a big difference in 2018, but no notable replacements.

If bucks continues on beyond 2021, the stale assistant coaches must change - must have new people to challenge the current procedures.

Flag faves this time last year with win over Geelong in Perth...(52pt win over Doggies and draw with Tuggys)

Hmmm, FD spending cuts maybe? Despite the ramifications of those, we've still managed to add Damien Carroll and Craig Black, promoted Skipworth and Selwood, and added Mark Jamar as a P/T ruck coach.

One of the bloggers on this site was recently asking for a non impassioned case for the departure of Buckley. In doing so I will discount the last 3 years (as many have chosen to conveniently discount 2012-2017 in support) and focus on the NOW. Here goes:

(i) 1-6 and 17th on the ladder.
(ii) Just lost to a mob from Qld who I think has won at the MCG only 3 times over 10 years. A number of their players had never played at the MCG before.
(iii) Lost to Gold Coast by 4 goals having kicked a princely 7 goals at your home ground on a sunny autumn day(of which 2 were kicked late in the 4th quarter).
(iv) 24,000 at the footy.
(v) His undeniable role in the treatment/misinformation regarding Treloar's departure.

All the above are the tangibles before one considers the intangibles ie are the players still playing for him etc.

Moore is not a forward.
DeGoey is not a midfielder.
Madgen and Mayne are not wingers.
Macrae and Rantall are not forward pockets.
Cal Brown is not AFL standard.
Henry should not have been selected for Rd1.
We dominate ruck taps but lose clearances every week.
Our ball movement is slow and stodgy.
Our F50 entries give our forwards virtually no chance to mark the ball.
Our two-way running is very poor.
Our players look bored and disengaged.
Most (all?) of the above is on the coach.
We need a fresh start.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

One of the bloggers on this site was recently asking for a non impassioned case for the departure of Buckley. In doing so I will discount the last 3 years (as many have chosen to conveniently discount 2012-2017 in support) and focus on the NOW. Here goes:

(i) 1-6 and 17th on the ladder.
(ii) Just lost to a mob from Qld who I think has won at the MCG only 3 times over 10 years. A number of their players had never played at the MCG before.
(iii) Lost to Gold Coast by 4 goals having kicked a princely 7 goals at your home ground on a sunny autumn day(of which 2 were kicked late in the 4th quarter).
(iv) 24,000 at the footy.
(v) His undeniable role in the treatment/misinformation regarding Treloar's departure.

All the above are the tangibles before one considers the intangibles ie are the players still playing for him etc.

so you discount his best era which happens to be post 2017 - and you believe you are offering an unbiased assessment.
I think we are all bit smarter than to fall for the ruse.

so you discount his best era which happens to be post 2017 - and you believe you are offering an unbiased assessment.
I think we are all bit smarter than to fall for the ruse.
Spinny, as I quoted above, since round 7 last year, the only good team we have beaten is eagles in Perth, and then put in the worst semi final performance in history....Since round 7 last year............There’s nothing to spin about that. There’s no era, it was 2018 off a soft draw, and some of 2019, when we already began dropping off. We are no good! complete rebuild from all aspects is needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spinny, as I quoted above, since round 7 last year, the only good team we have beaten is eagles in Perth, and then put in the worst semi final performance in history....Since round 7 last year............There’s nothing to spin about that. There’s no era, it was 2018 off a soft draw, and some of 2019, when we already began dropping off. We are no good! complete rebuild from all aspects is needed

I’m on record as saying Buckls shouldn’t be reappointed and he has had his time, but I trust whatever GW ultimately decides.

But I am objective enough to acknowledge Bucks has a fine record since 2017 - and that those trying to dismiss it are being completely disingenuous.
And you unfortunately are trying the same - by saying a soft draw was the reason for 2018. In the majority of cases, soft draws see “unworthy” finalist drop out early not make a GF, let alone lose in the last 2 minutes.

To imply we were unworthy of making the GF and PF is an irrational and completely biased narrative.

I’m on record as saying Buckls shouldn’t be reappointed and he has had his time, but I trust whatever GW ultimately decides.

But I am objective enough to acknowledge Bucks has a fine record since 2017 - and that those trying to dismiss it are being completely disingenuous.
And you unfortunately are trying the same - by saying a soft draw was the reason for 2018. In the majority of cases, soft draws see “unworthy” finalist drop out early not make a GF, let alone lose in the last 2 minutes.

To imply we were unworthy of making the GF and PF is an irrational and completely biased narrative.
You are saying he has a fine record and yet dismissing the last 12months of being unable to beat any top teams. So included in his 10 years, he has a horrible record. 2018 easy draw almost snagged one.., 2019 drop off again, got into top 4 because of eagles, soundly beaten in Melb by an injury ravaged team.. . 2020 drop off further again, copped some serious floggings, unable to beat top teams after round 7 except a fluke in Perth, then flogged by geel. 2021, well.... continued horrible game plan. Changed nothing despite being on record in off season saying we are playing more attacking. In 10 years he’s had 18months of good footy. He needs to go. Dropping off after every year bar 2017-18 is not a good record. Add to that, how often do we play 4 quarters, consistent football? We don’t. Well drilled and coached teams might have the occasional bad game, we barely play 2 quarters of footy a week.

anyway we can agree to disagree, I for one hope we drive change, just hope it’s not
Lyon...

Last edited:
You are saying he has a fine record and yet dismissing the last 12months of being unable to beat any top teams. So included in his 10 years, he has a horrible record. 2018 east draw, 2019 drop off, got into top 4 because of eagles, soundly besten in Melb hi an injury ravaged team. 2020 drop off further, unable to beat top teams after round 7 except a flook in Perth, then flogged by geel. 2020, well. In 10 years he’s had 18months of good footy. He needs to go

If you are looking to appoint a Coach are you ignoring his most successful recent period 3Top 8, 2 Top 4, 2 PF and a GF, and giving more weight to his poor earlier years?
Clearly not - it’s an approach that any sensible and rational neutral person would ridicule.
And then you use selective example of “ haven’t beaten a top team since round 7 “ - and dismiss a win against WC as a fluke.
I could equally use selective examples to counter yours, but it would be equally irrelevant in judging Bucks as a Coach.
Your argument is simplistic in the extreme- and I can guarantee GW is not using anything close to your unsophisticated approach in screening Coaches - and that speaks volumes about its lack of veracity.

I think Buckley is a lil like Isaac Newton in his formative yrs trying to prove the theory that it's possible to turn lead to gold.. yr in yr out.. all obsessed and crazy over it and that re.. 'why is that it doesn't bloody work'.. Buckley's game plan is all trying to prove the theory of alchemy.. has never worked.. but too stubborn to let it go.. 'oh there must be way it works.. how is it not possible'.

He's like a mad scientist re.

Last edited:
The game style has fluctuated over the years.
Do we have a game style?
Both wingman go back and the other wingman get a heap of the ball as seen the last 5 games.
Rather see us man on man and take it from there.
Main game plan atm is losing

Chose to answer the broader question?

Look re.. please.

Read my post.. and just leave the semantics out of it.

Maybe you could/should read/comprehend your question.

A question if I may..

Have you enjoyed watching us play over the course of the last 10 yrs?

Don't get all sentimental and write.. 'I'll go and watch em play in Antarctica.. that's how much I love em'. We all love the club.

Just a simple question.. 'style of game'.. have you enjoyed it?

You asked, I answered. Simple.

Asked. Answered.

Thanks.

Amazing isn't..

Pro Buckley = pro Buckley results.. pro game style. What's next.. pro Buckley hairstyle. Pro Buckley goatie?

The whole of the football world knows that we play a stifling boring defensive style of game.. really average to watch.. but hey.. good stuff re.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back