MRP / Trib. Is Buddy in trouble for this hit on Cotchin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is a superstar but this was dumb. In this day and age where the head is sacrosanct and arms out is considered dissent warranting 50m, to appeal this brain fade was lunacy. It’s not just about the potential for injury or actual injury caused but the look of the game. That sort of act will be interpreted as intentional any day of the week. Perhaps the Sydney defence wanted to highlight that Buddy is a highly marked player so he isn’t caught out retaliating and felt this was a free shot to do so by appealing (no extra week for a frivolous appeal).
This was in the spirit of the game as well and he got off, umpire didn’t see it

View attachment 5800BE0F-0571-452C-825F-72B7C208F58C.webp

Woods sums up the AFL's argument.

"I’m at a loss to think it’s less than negligible."

He reiterates Franklin was angry.

"Precisely what a professional AFL player should know what not to do," Woods said.

"It’s brazen, it’s cowardly and the opposing player isn’t expecting that to happen to him.

"It’s AFL, not Fight Club or a combat sport."

:rolleyes:I can't make the eyeroll emoji big enough on BF to reflect my reaction to this statement. Yes, that open hand push on the face is the same as "fight club or a combat sport". FMD.
with players like lockett and hall, its no surprise you think swinging fists at players simply playing the game is acceptable

Buddy is a superstar but this was dumb. In this day and age where the head is sacrosanct and arms out is considered dissent warranting 50m, to appeal this brain fade was lunacy. It’s not just about the potential for injury or actual injury caused but the look of the game. That sort of act will be interpreted as intentional any day of the week. Perhaps the Sydney defence wanted to highlight that Buddy is a highly marked player so he isn’t caught out retaliating and felt this was a free shot to do so by appealing (no extra week for a frivolous appeal).
He's not known for his intelligence that's for sure

TBF, both lawyers came out of it looking pretty ordinary.

Just present your case and leave the childish comments out of it.
Spot on, but you know there will only be one apology. No problemo, we'll remember for next time. The Swans are arrogant and so is Franklin.
Now let's talk about the 3 strike policy...

Can't wait for the dozens of missed free kicks for the rest of the season as every defender in the league lines up to block buddy in hopes of getting a turn over

Boo hoo?

Forwards block defenders, defenders block forwards. Very few of them throw punches in retaliation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait for the dozens of missed free kicks for the rest of the season as every defender in the league lines up to block buddy in hopes of getting a turn over
You do realise Franklin was paid the free first but it got paid a reversal after Franklin acted like a muppet

The AFLs lawyer called it perfectly.

Never forget Buddy stepping over the ball and KO-ing Shane Edwards back in 2015, just about the worst act I have seen on an AFL ground in the last decade.

Worth revisiting what he did that day, in freeze frames, and worth noting he was given the feather duster treatment at the time:

The AFL's lawyer has finally labelled Buddy a coward, 7 years too late, but they have to take some responsibility for making him into that with soft penalties for cowardly acts in the past.

The AFLs lawyer called it perfectly.

Never forget Buddy stepping over the ball and KO-ing Shane Edwards back in 2015, just about the worst act I have seen on an AFL ground in the last decade.

Worth revisiting what he did that day, in freeze frames, and worth noting he was given the feather duster treatment at the time:

The AFL's lawyer has finally labelled Buddy a coward, 7 years too late, but they have to take some responsibility for making him into that with soft penalties for cowardly acts in the past.
100% true

For someone who supposedly plays dirty but also is looked after by the mro, he's never played in a final that he shouldn't have....

For someone who supposedly plays dirty but also is looked after by the mro, he's never played in a final that he shouldn't have....
What a badge of honour.

He might have been on 2 strikes before a final though, and conveniently not tested, not that we'd ever know lol.

So we have a campaign called end the cowards punch and they get upset with the word cowardly for a cowards punch to the head? AFL applying nuffy logic again. Just worry about the game for ducks sake
Danny Greens Stop the Coward Punch

I always thought this was generally defined as the king hit from behind where the victim has no chance seeing it coming

Wouldn't classify Franklin's that in this case

I always thought this was generally defined as the king hit from behind where the victim has no chance seeing it coming

Maybe not, but you can't just clock someone with a clenched fist

I reckon it was cowardly, or at least craven, to appeal.

Forgive the pun, but when you have clearly and openly whacked someone on the chin, you should cop the suspension on the chin.

Not try and weasel out of it.

I reckon it was cowardly, or at least craven, to appeal.

Forgive the pun, but when you have clearly and openly whacked someone on the chin, you should cop the suspension on the chin.

Not try and weasel out of it.
Attempted striking is a week, but actually connecting is a fine most times.
Afl don't care about injuries, they care about appearances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back