Opinion Is Buddy's nine year contract finally coming back to haunt the Swans?

Is Buddy's nine year contract finally haunting the Swans?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s haunting them is their performances in the 2014 and 2016 GFs. If they’d won those two games then these questions wouldn’t be asked.
If he doesn't get injured early in the 2016 GF they probably win it

Roughie was out with cancer and we had no draft picks.

Who should we have gone for instead to replace him?

And in terms of us wanting to pay, we paid the minimum required for Richmond to get the compo they wanted.

Why were there no draft picks, forcing the club into the likes of Vickery ?
History repeats with the gamble on Patton ...

The club and the coach who brought him across from the tigers ...

True, but saying Vickery was overrated is a stretch.
Hawks recruited him on the belief he was under utilized at the Tigers and had the 'potential' to be a real power forward under a new system. However he simply wasn't prepared to buy in or put in the hard yards so it didn't work out - and therefore he became a rare failed recruit for the club.

Do you really want me to produce the long long list of players who were either 1st round draft picks or other potential champion recruits that have arrived and left Carlton over the past 10-15 years...?

I genuinely think Sydney has got their money's worth so far. Maybe not a flag, but the exposure he's brought to them is great and he's still up there as one of the top KPFs in the comp. When fit, he always has an argument to the #1 spot.

The next 3 seasons will be interesting, with 40% of his contract still to be paid out. Franklin would be absolutely laughing though.
Sydney didnt need exposure

2 flags to justify a player? Pull the other one you pelican
Go back to the discussion at the time, remember this was a team that had won a flag 12 months prior bringing in the best fwd in the game. They mortgaged the house to get buddy in at the expense of retaining/recruiting very good players. To come away with it with no flags is a massive failure. Would have been like Richmond resigning dusty to his massive deal, losing players along the way and not getting a flag out of it.

Go back to the discussion at the time, remember this was a team that had won a flag 12 months prior bringing in the best fwd in the game. They mortgaged the house to get buddy in at the expense of retaining/recruiting very good players. To come away with it with no flags is a massive failure. Would have been like Richmond resigning dusty to his massive deal, losing players along the way and not getting a flag out of it.

Exactly.

Noone pays 12% of the salary cap to a single player to boost membership.

They pay it because they see them as the key to a flag, or many flags.

Dogs did it with Boyd and it worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most here are missing the point - Sydney- is a different market - and the Swans management in recent years since say Plugger have done an excellent job of engaging the Sydney public to point now where I think the future is assured, they are a strong club and in my opinion probably the best run club in the AFL.

But Buddy was worth every cent and still is - he has been invaluable in a marketing sense alone.

who's he thrown up against in the big discussions? stay modern and...

Wayne Carey: mostly spoken about in regards to being the greatest ever, not just as a full forward. Made those around him play better, won games off his own boot, campaigner of a bloke but...
Gary Ablett Senior: ...same thing, probably the clear best player at his club and dragged them to Grand Finals and still performed in them
Plugga: goals galore – playing for ******* St Kilda, then went to Sydney before they were the constant finals pests they are now
Dunstall: 300 more goals in 50 less games

Buddy is probably the best power forward since he's debuted but if I'm starting a new team in 2007 and knowing what they were and what they'd become, I'd genuinely take Pav and Riewoldt over him. they brought far more as people, even if theyre deadshits as commentators, and never got to prove themselves in actual really good teams.

Wayne Carey was not a FF, nowhere near it, he was at his most damaging outside of the F50.....

Franklin, despite what people preach in these threads, has parked himself at FF for 90% of his career.

Last edited:
Most here are missing the point - Sydney- is a different market - and the Swans management in recent years since say Plugger have done an excellent job of engaging the Sydney public to point now where I think the future is assured, they are a strong club and in my opinion probably the best run club in the AFL.

But Buddy was worth every cent and still is - he has been invaluable in a marketing sense alone.
From a marketing perspective he's been great, but surely you cant answer the question without considering the football aspect. Making 2 GFs in his time is no mean feat, but then you have to ask would they have made those games without him? Further, will his contract hamper their rebuild? From a financial perspective he's definitely a win, but consider the football and I'm leaning on the he's-a-bust side right now, but only just.

With the structure of their list currently - 25 of their 46 listed players are 23 or under, and senior players are a mix of solid role players, second-chancers, state-league back-ups and a few stars - the Swans can afford to "carry" Buddy's contract for a couple of years. These were always going to be the "bonus" years of the contract and of Buddy's career. He is and should be expected to be past his prime at age 32-33. I know they're still paying him premium money, but the acquisitions was always more about getting the most out of Buddy's remaining prime years (2014-2017), than the post-30 period.

If we're going to wring hands over "wastage", I'd look moreso at that "lost" 2015 season (17 games, 83 marks 49 goals), right in the middle of his prime. To his credit, Buddy managed to follow with one of his best all-round seasons in 2016 (26 game, 155 marks, 81 goals, GF appearance), but I think Sydney would have hoped for more of the same the year prior too.

By the end of 2022, 8 of Sydney's current listed players will be over 30, and a few of those would either be retired or on their last legs, and they'll likely have had a lot more turnover and salary come off the books as well. Interestingly, according to FootyWire, only Oliver Florent, Tom Papley, Callum Mills, and Wll Hayward are currently contracted beyond 2022, so there's scope for a big post-Buddy signing and salary boost.

Get experience into the younger players and experiment now, give the older guys a worthy send-off, and make a major push from 2023 onwards. Coincidentally, when the GWS window should begin to close ;)
They didn't have crystal balls when they grabbed Buddy, he was worth every cent, its a fact that they made a GF or two, so that is success the silver ware is a pity, but he has given them what they asked for, and he'll finish off a successful story. He had a few demons, he has passed with flying colours , and he is a Hawk too, remember!

Yes but imagine the marketing if they won another 2 or 3 flags which they may have been able to do with a more balanced team, it is worthy of a discussion.

Back