Society/Culture Is Comedy Dead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Vagina jokes, I’m an alcoholic jokes. I’m sexually promiscuous jokes. Period Jokes. I cant find a man jokes.
Pretty much the range of material for 95% of working female comics I’m afraid.
There is plenty of material in the bait and switch of "So I'm living with this arse hole of a guy, he's unemployed, spends the whole day watching tv and although he is really affectionate and ... orally fixated.. *eyebrows* it's a toxic relationship and I wish I didn't get into it. He's almost two."

There's plenty of life jokes. I'm a skank, I'm a terrible mum is lots of material, yeah. Plenty of jokes like that too.

Vagina jokes, I’m an alcoholic jokes. I’m sexually promiscuous jokes. Period Jokes. I cant find a man jokes.
Pretty much the range of material for 95% of working female comics I’m afraid.
Funnily enough the Catholics didn't appreciate George Carlin.

Something something target audiences.

Comedy ain't dead. It's the fact with our world you can just hear more viewpoints. Back 10 years ago you stuck with the same group of people who had the same opinions and you didn't have a platform to complain.

Um, there's no coming back for Louis CK. Everyone in the industry knows about his years of sexual harassing. You wouldn't feel bad about a shoplifter not getting employed in retail. Don't feel bad for this 52-year-old who's already made millions. ******* get a grip if you think this is comedy's problem instead of his.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Politically incorrect comedy is still as funny as ever, it just has to be written well.

Ricky Gervais, Chappelle, Louis CK (when he's back) are still funny as hell.

Watched Eddie Murphy - Delirious the other night and it's still funny AF. The gay jokes felt dated but that aside it's a set from 30+ years ago that's still funny.

My favourite show on TV at the moment is Silicon Valley and by any measure, it is highly politically incorrect. It's also insanely funny and is willing to take pot shots at all sorts of targets.

Politically incorrect comedy is still as funny as ever, it just has to be written well.

Ricky Gervais, Chappelle, Louis CK (when he's back) are still funny as hell.

Watched Eddie Murphy - Delirious the other night and it's still funny AF. The gay jokes felt dated but that aside it's a set from 30+ years ago that's still funny.
Yeah some of that Eddie Murphy stuff is very dated. Weird watching a guy in a skintight red leather jumpsuit who was caught picking up transsexual hookers go hard on that.

Product of the times. I think in general how society changes you are kind of stuffed when you have something like that associated with you for life

Funnily enough the Catholics didn't appreciate George Carlin.

Something something target audiences.

Comedy ain't dead. It's the fact with our world you can just hear more viewpoints. Back 10 years ago you stuck with the same group of people who had the same opinions and you didn't have a platform to complain.
The issue in a nutshell. People (white males, largely) having a whinge because different people are being allowed to share the spotlight. Here’s an idea, if you don’t like Hannah Gadsby, don’t watch her and shut the * up.

I watch stand-up on an almost weekly basis, there’s plenty of great comedy out there. There’s plenty of politically incorrect stuff if that’s your bent. Comedy is far from dead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back