• No, he is just the next Rayzor "look at me" Ray

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • No, he is awesome

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He dropped to his knees ........ making it obvious that his intention was to rush the ball through.
Stay on his feet he gets away with it.
As I said in another post, if thta was the Essendon player doing it, you and in particular the three or four posters on here who constantly bash the umpires and thinbk they are rersponsible for all our losses would have been on your feet calling for a free kick .. and rightly so.

Doesn't matter if he dropped to his knees or kicked it through himself, the rule states if you are in the goal square and under pressure, both of which were true, that you can rush it through delibratley any way you want to.

of course, because it was completely stupid. just like i expected them to pay those idiotic deliberates

umps are looking for ways to inject themselves into the game, and its happening in every game you see each week. its pathetic, and im genuinely surprised you are celebrating it

I'm not celebrating it .... it's f***** frustrating! And I'll be further frustrated when sometjhing similar happens next week or the week after as our blokes don't get it.
But it was the right call. 50,000 Tiger supporters would have been on their feet expecting a free if the roles were reversed and we would have rightly got one.
Short had no intention of doing anything else but rushing it through for a point and was caught out. Harsh lesson..
Me, I'm genuinely surprised people can't see it fro what it was ... and are now using it as reason to assassinate some blokes character.

Um, I don't constantly bash umpires. I've umpired, so I don't bash. Have certainly made fun of them at times and want then to be more accountable. They don't deserve to be belittled like some are doing.

Standing or falling is a mute point because he would have known he could not change direction in time - he probably thought it was the safest way to protect the ball. Of course his intention was to rush the ball because at that speed you don't consider what you can't do. Others running through as you suggest have been pinged. Given Deboy's position of vision he would or should have known motion was a huge factor.

Wasn't referring to you!

What is the rule though? When I look it up it says:

When Awarded (a) A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player from the defending Team who intentionally Kicks, Handballs or forces the football over the attacking Team’s Goal Line or Behind Line or onto one of the attacking Team’s Goal Posts. In assessing whether a Free Kick should be awarded under this Law, the field Umpire shall give consideration to: (i) whether the Player had prior opportunity to dispose of the ball; (ii) the distance of the Player from the Goal Line or Behind Line; and (iii) the degree of pressure being applied to the Player.

So what constitutes "degree of pressure"? Completely open to umpires interpretation. Despite what Woosha said, there is no rule that states "physical pressure".

So if we go on what the AFL and the umpires have said previously - Short was within the goal square and Green was too. The goal square is 9 meters long, I'd judge Short to be about 2 meters from the goal line when he rushes it and Green to be about two meters from the top of the goal square. Thats about a 5 meter gap. 10 meters is the protected zone, can't bump or body players more than 5 meters from the ball in marking contests. Is there now a different standard that applies to what constitutes "degree of pressure"?

Of course the AFL will come out and say the call was right. Because within the strict rule it is - the umpire has discretion to interpret the rule as he sees fit! How amateur can a competition get! There's a whole other world of interpretation, sub-rules, AFL direction that exists out there that only the umpiring department knows about. No wonder fans like me lose their s**t about it.

I'm not celebrating it .... it's f***** frustrating! And I'll be further frustrated when sometjhing similar happens next week or the week after as our blokes don't get it.
But it was the right call. 50,000 Tiger supporters would have been on their feet expecting a free if the roles were reversed and we would have rightly got one.
Short had no intention of doing anything else but rushing it through for a point and was caught out. Harsh lesson..
Me, I'm genuinely surprised people can't see it fro what it was ... and are now using it as reason to assassinate some blokes character.

But under the rules he was within his rights to do it.

And he was permitted to rush it through because he was under pressure. You can intentionally rush a behind under pressure. Unfortunately Green slowed down to reduce that pressure and milk a free.

see this is where I disagree with you - i know you love a good ole RFC fan bash, but you are wrong on this.

the fans would NOT have wanted this to be called on the dons. want evidence? sit in the outer when the bullshit calls for "deliberate" go up. people do it because they know stupid stuff gets called and its a bronx cheer of sorts. people are actually laughing because they know its ridiculous to get a free for it. and when its paid, its greeted with laughter.

back to deboy, im not assassinating his character over a bad call. he has been behind just about every garbage call we have received in three games now. one or two, fair enough - s**t happens. but three, and always him??? as i said at the start, he's either incompetent or corrupt, pick one

see this is where I disagree with you - i know you love a good ole RFC fan bash, but you are wrong on this.

the fans would NOT have wanted this to be called on the dons. want evidence? sit in the outer when the bullshit calls for "deliberate" go up. people do it because they know stupid stuff gets called and its a bronx cheer of sorts. people are actually laughing because they know its ridiculous to get a free for it. and when its paid, its greeted with laughter.

back to deboy, im not assassinating his character over a bad call. he has been behind just about every garbage call we have received in three games now. one or two, fair enough - s**t happens. but three, and always him??? as i said at the start, he's either incompetent or corrupt, pick one

I'll tell you what, I'll stand with you ate the footy sometime this year and when something like this happens, I'll tap you on the shoulder as 50,000 Tiger fans are on their feet with arms in air calling for a free kick to be called ..... just s they do every time we lay a tackle. Our fans are no different to any others and any teams supporters, like the Bombers last night, would call for a free kick in those circumstances.
Wasn't referring to you but someone called him a Bible Basher.
I know there are exceptions, but to me it seems at odds that someone who is a bible basher and prays before games would be opently corrupt. Yes there are exceptions, but you think this guy is corrupt!!

I'll tell you what, I'll stand with you ate the footy sometime this year and when something like this happens, I'll tap you on the shoulder as 50,000 Tiger fans are on their feet with arms in air calling for a free kick to be called ..... just s they do every time we lay a tackle. Our fans are no different to any others and any teams supporters, like the Bombers last night, would call for a free kick in those circumstances.
I know there are exceptions, but to me it seems at odds that someone who is a bible basher and prays before games would be opently corrupt. Yes there are exceptions, but you think this guy is corrupt!!

Corrupt or incompetent is what he said.

Probably just incompetent.

But without evidence you can't put out there the second one - that's just unfair on anyone.

what does being a christian have to do with anything? Plenty of Christians are as bent as anyone. Do you think he is a competent umpire?

even on aw Lloyd when defending him fell back on "his young and he's from south australia". if thats the sole claim to your level of impartiality and competence, you're in trouble

I just think he's a trigger happy over-officiating attention seeking clown. He picks us to make wrong calls he thinks are right. His explanation was that the pressure was more than 5 meters behind. Sooooo;

AFL is right in saying the penalty was correct as per AFL rules
Deboy has applied his own interpretation as to what constitutes "pressure". He said Green was more than 5 meters from Short, thats why he paid
Deboy is wrong, as Green was no way near more than 5 meters from Short
Deboy got the decision right, but the rationale for paying it wrong as there was no "physical pressure"

AFL has to come out and explain this rule and its interpretation to the public. I have NFI what it is given what I've read, seen and heard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But without evidence you can't put out there the second one - that's just unfair on anyone.

well he has won one raffle already. ever heard of an ump being pulled out of a game because he won a house in a raffle?

I'll tell you what, I'll stand with you ate the footy sometime this year and when something like this happens, I'll tap you on the shoulder as 50,000 Tiger fans are on their feet with arms in air calling for a free kick to be called ..... !!

Short of vilification, fans can do whatever they want. There is no selection criteria , no IQ test.
It a real problem, like now, when players are doing it on the field of play to gain an unfair advantage that comes from doing nothing as opposed to doing something.

well he has won one raffle already. ever heard of an ump being pulled out of a game because he won a house in a raffle?
Don't follow

Short of vilification, fans can do whatever they want. There is no selection criteria , no IQ test.
It a real problem, like now, when players are doing it on the field of play to gain an unfair advantage that comes from doing nothing as opposed to doing something.

Its like the players can appeal for a free now. Like in the cricket appealing for a wicket. If you don't appeal, you don't get the free kick

Don't follow
WHEN Curtis Deboy saw umpiring manager Shane Harris steam on to AAMI Stadium at three-quarter time of last Sunday's SANFL grand final he prepared for the worst.
"I thought we must have done something really wrong for Shane to come on to the ground,'' the match day field umpire says.

But the news from Harris was good - in fact it was very, very, good.

"He said 'Curtis, if you need to come off the ground that's fine, the emergency umpire (Rowan Hundertmark) will take your place, but you've just won the house'."

In that moment 23-year-old Deboy went from a West Lakes renter to the outright owner of a fully landscaped, four-bedroom Lifestyle SA home in the southern beachside development of Seaford Meadows.

The major prize winner of the SANFL's Greatest Footy Club Raffle of All time, Deboy and wife-to-be Kathy Laverack will move into the fully furnished $565,000 property, also featuring a home theatre room, when they return from their honeymoon next month.

Honours in umpiring: SANFL golden whistle, 2013

giphy.gif

If you were gonna be corrupt you would just bet on any old game, you wouldn't need to bet against the Tigers every single time. I don't buy corrupt as the most likely situation. That's verging on tinfoil stuff.

It's either incompetence (not knowing the rules) or unprofessionalism (letting the crowd sway you).

The third option is vendetta, which does not imply corruption (no monetary gain), and maybe he just hates Richmond. I wonder if I would screw the Hawks for ruining my childhood if I was an umpie.

Also, a big * you to the AFL for putting in these s**t rules too. A rushed behind should be allowed. It gives your opponents a score after all.

WHEN Curtis Deboy saw umpiring manager Shane Harris steam on to AAMI Stadium at three-quarter time of last Sunday's SANFL grand final he prepared for the worst.
"I thought we must have done something really wrong for Shane to come on to the ground,'' the match day field umpire says.

But the news from Harris was good - in fact it was very, very, good.

"He said 'Curtis, if you need to come off the ground that's fine, the emergency umpire (Rowan Hundertmark) will take your place, but you've just won the house'."

In that moment 23-year-old Deboy went from a West Lakes renter to the outright owner of a fully landscaped, four-bedroom Lifestyle SA home in the southern beachside development of Seaford Meadows.

The major prize winner of the SANFL's Greatest Footy Club Raffle of All time, Deboy and wife-to-be Kathy Laverack will move into the fully furnished $565,000 property, also featuring a home theatre room, when they return from their honeymoon next month.
I'll interpret that as you having some fun on a play on words - lucky lad and good luck to him. Was second prize two(2) houses in Seaford Meadows?:D

Bit bizarre that event!

Yelling "ball" is one of footy's great joys.

Deliberate is good also, but as '74 has eluded to, people yell it now just to test the umpires. Most laugh when the umpire holds firm, and laugh harder when the umpire gets sucked in! Nobody really wants to see it change a result.

Tough gig this umpiring. I don't think DeBoy is actually cheating, but he obviously is easily influenced by a crowd (Short x2). The one i struggle with is Jack's block on the caddy goal vs Freo. When I umpire sport, I try and keep my head down, look for the clear infringements and try to keep "guessing" to the middle of the pitch where significant advantage is limited. By picking out something that happens 20 times per game and is almost NEVER called, he is showing signs of being the next Razor Ray. I.e. thinks he is a big deal and want's to be known by the pubic. The best umpires are the ones who you can't name because they are seemingly invisible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back