Is Damien Hardwick the greatest coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Never mind the tightest team defence in the league, best collective pressure game, best proven systems etc etc etc. All from apparenty 21 blokes (plus dusty) whos average winning margin in grand finals is around 9 goals.

I particularly enjoyed your post and hope the coaches of the 17 other clubs believe your theory too.

Yeah its just Dusty! You fool 🤣
Wait - why are you being so angry? You just won a Premiership.

"best collective pressure game, best proven systems"

This comment makes you sound a little angry. It doesn't add anything to the conversation, but you seem like you want to rant about something, which I didn't mention.

Dimma and his feel good team may just be the GOAT.
When you look at the list compared to some of the top sides of the last 20 years the Tiges shouldn't be within 10 goals of them. It's amazing what they've accomplished I reckon.

When you look at the list compared to some of the top sides of the last 20 years the Tiges shouldn't be within 10 goals of them. It's amazing what they've accomplished I reckon.
Quality of opposition? Quality of the league? Arrangement of finals? Travel?

Oh no, here we go again.

It's like when people say Hitler won Man of the Year but lost the war because..

wow

Actually, in your opinion, who was the best team that the Tigers beat in a GF?

Actually, in your opinion, who was the best team that the Tigers beat in a GF?
Nobody has really stood up. Bit like the HFC wins.
Rich just way too good with a list that's pretty average and it really doesn't matter who they play or where. Self belief seems to overcome skill. They play footy like AFLW footy. Just scrappy junk but it works. Amazing. No other coach instills such belief. Could very well be the GOAT. Gets my vote.

Wait - why are you being so angry? You just won a Premiership.

"best collective pressure game, best proven systems"

This comment makes you sound a little angry. It doesn't add anything to the conversation, but you seem like you want to rant about something, which I didn't mention.
Im far from angry. But believe what you wish 😉

It’s very weird this expectation that we’re looking for validation. Personally IDGAF what the others think. Most clubs out there barely have a premiership player for that team on their list and the BF posters think I need validation from them? Get real. There’s 100,000 Tiger members and heap more Richmond fans I can get it from, most of the media is on-board and TBH most neutral fans recognise what the Tigers have done in the past four years.
this thread is all about validating who’s the best coach of all time...isn’t it??...as previously stated...he’s yet to reach the heights of Clarkson, Worrall, Hughes, Reynolds, Smith, McHale, Barassi and Hafey.

1 thing that goes unnoticed a fair bit is the way Dimma has instilled respect, empathy and compassion into his players. Best example is putting celebrations on hold to form a guard of honor for GAJ with medals tucked away. Don’t think that’s ever been done before in a GF.

From zero to hitler references in just 4 posts.

Richmonds sucess really does seem trouble some people!
There really isn't a need to be so angry about what I'm posting. I haven't posted anything remotely offensive, but you seem to want to find something to fume about. Maybe just stick to the topic?

Who would you say was Richmond's hardest grand final opponent?
What did Hardwick do that was spectacular in any measure that makes him any better than other coaches of Grand Final teams?
Was Dustin Martin a key to winning three Premierships?

1 thing that goes unnoticed a fair bit is the way Dimma has instilled respect, empathy and compassion into his players. Best example is putting celebrations on hold to form a guard of honor for GAJ with medals tucked away. Don’t think that’s ever been done before in a GF.
Oh c'mon. No other coach has shown respect to other players?

We have just lost cabin pressure.

7f21dd9ce8318ba9552daff05533334d.jpg

btw that's Subiaco Oval... Freo home game. Sure, but Dimma did it first right?

What excludes Malthouse imo is his low strikerate for flags and long period of head coach without a premiership.

3 flags from something like 30 seasons doesn't stack up with others. He also went an incredibly long period of head coach without a flag, something like 15 years.
Coaches should be judged on how their teams played, relative to the talent at their disposal.

It's for this reason I actually place Hardwick the equal of any current coach including Clarkson. Clarkson had priority picks, a star studded line-up. Hardwick has one less flag but also less talent.

It's also for this reason I rate Malthouse's 12 year Collingwood era so highly. Only 1 flag, so 1/12 isn't an impressive strikerate. But consider they made Grand Finals in 4 seasons without much top end talent, and were competing against the great Lions and Cats teams who won 3 flags each. That's a Grand Final year every 3 years over a 12 year period, while competing against the greatest 2 teams of the AFL era.

What also distinguishes Malthouse is success in every environment and leading every group. Until Carlton. Which other coaches have been comparably successful in that many places?

Coaches should be judged on how their teams played, relative to the talent at their disposal.

It's for this reason I actually place Hardwick the equal of any current coach including Clarkson. Clarkson had priority picks, a star studded line-up. Hardwick has one less flag but also less talent.

It's also for this reason I rate Malthouse's 12 year Collingwood era so highly. Only 1 flag, so 1/12 isn't an impressive strikerate. But consider they made Grand Finals in 4 seasons without much top end talent, and were competing against the great Lions and Cats teams who won 3 flags each. That's a Grand Final year every 3 years over a 12 year period, while competing against the greatest 2 teams of the AFL era.

What also distinguishes Malthouse is success in every environment and leading every group. Until Carlton. Which other coaches have been comparably successful in that many places?
Bolded part isnt true, he won flags at 2/4 clubs didn't he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh c'mon. No other coach has shown respect to other players?

We have just lost cabin pressure.

View attachment 1034542

btw that's Subiaco Oval... Freo home game. Sure, but Dimma did it first right?

Is that a GF? You’re losing the plot Willow! Of course other coaches have. I’m talking GF’s. Win or lose a guard of honor would have taken place. An amazing show of respect.

Bolded part isnt true, he won flags at 2/4 clubs didn't he?

Yes but he coached a minnow for 6 years (Footscray) in the brown paper bag era, and his only losing season was his final year.

Relatively speaking, that's success.

It's like Ross Lyon at Freo. Took a club who'd made 3 finals series in 17 years. Never had many superstar players, but competed for a flag for multiple years, competing against the star studded Hawks and Swans teams. Came very close to a flag.

History records Lyon as failing to win a flag. But make no mistake, what he achieved at Freo in his first 4 or 5 years there was incredibly impressive.

(As were his achievements at St.Kilda).

Yes but he coached a minnow for 6 years (Footscray) in the brown paper bag era, and his only losing season was his final year.

Relatively speaking, that's success.

It's like Ross Lyon at Freo. Took a club who'd made 3 finals series in 17 years. Never had many superstar players, but competed for a flag for multiple years, competing against the star studded Hawks and Swans teams. Came very close to a flag.

History records Lyon as failing to win a flag. But make no mistake, what he achieved at Freo in his first 4 or 5 years there was incredibly impressive.
Malthouse was a great coach no doubt, I just dont have him as the GOAT. FWIW I dont have Hardwick there either, but I reckon by retirement Hardwick will have a stronger claim than Malthouse.

Is that a GF? You’re losing the plot Willow! Of course other coaches have. I’m talking GF’s. Win or lose a guard of honor would have taken place. An amazing show of respect.
No it's Fitzroy's last game. At Subi. At a Freo home game.

Amazing show of respect from the coach, club, and state.

But, sure - keep going with your Dimma did it first bit. He should really be lauded as a pioneer. The same way I should because I went to Botany Bay about 200 years after Phillip, but at least I did it.

I'm in line for the Greatest Explorer of all Time.

Vote for me will ya?

No it's Fitzroy's last game. At Subi. At a Freo home game.

Amazing show of respect from the coach, club, and state.

But, sure - keep going with your Dimma did it first bit. He should really be lauded as a pioneer. The same way I should because I went to Botany Bay about 200 years after Phillip, but at least I did it.

I'm in line for the Greatest Explorer of all Time.

Vote for me will ya?

lol. Well done to Freo for showing respect to a great club on death row. I was at Fitzroy’s last game in Melbourne when we beat them by 150 odd points. Was an absolutely horrible day. Anyway, enough about Freo. Back to Richmond and Dimma.

lol. Well done to Freo for showing respect to a great club on death row. I was at Fitzroy’s last game in Melbourne when we beat them by 150 odd points. Was an absolutely horrible day. Anyway, enough about Freo. Back to Richmond and Dimma.
lol no matter how we try not to.. we always gravitate to the main point.. Freo was bad and Richmond was sublime.. so we digress and we end
up saying that our team our club was the best... lol....

So, you went to a game that wasn't the last game, but you won. Point well made Sir.

I remember going to Fremantle Oval in 1980 and watched Claremont play the Bulldogs. I can't remember who won. Sorry.

I think I get your point now: Dimma did something other people have done before, I raise a game that has no relevance to anything at all - therefore - Dimma is the Greatest of All Time and I'm a navigational wizard of the high seas.

That escalated quickly.

Yes! Yes he is..

..cos Richmond.

(never mind the fact the Richmond Board wanted him fired-ignore all that)

Well, I guess we're all just one Dusty away from GOAT

FMD - the guy has 2 plans.
1. Play Martin in the midfield.
2. Play Martin forward.

Does anyone honestly think he's a genius? Christ almighty, his own club wanted his ass on a plate.

Coming up next:
"Was Woosha the best and greatest coach of all time?"

Faced with the challenge of playing Judd and Cousins in the same midfield, the genius coach decided he'd play both of them in there at the same time.

It was a masterstroke that puts him above all else.

A true lengend we can only hope will someday be matched by, and dare I say it, a Richmond coach.

He’s a genius in that he lets Dustin do whatever he wants whenever he wants on the football field.
Let go let God .. pure genius

He’s a genius in that he lets Dustin do whatever he wants whenever he wants on the football field.
Let go let God .. pure genius
haha - yep. Pure genius. Must have been up all night figuring out that one.

Dimma: Right guys, now that we've sorted the game plan out, on to the big question - what colour shoes go with these pants?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back