Is David King's criticism of Mark LeCras fair game?

Remove this Banner Ad

WoozleWozzle

Draftee
Jul 26, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
"Should never play again. I'm done with him" - David King on Lecras

Where, exactly, am I able to lodge the same request of King?

What gives him the right? This latest arrogant slur is just part and parcel of King's 'brand' (his favourite word) hyper-critical and predictable 'analysis'... "Can't get their territory game going/can't get their stoppage game going/ it's a handball game/ stat stat stat, rah rah rah rah".

No-one can make an error - and no one can do anything right. Everything is preventable. If someone does something well, someone else is to blame.

So many of these special comments drones have obviously completely forgotten what it was like to be a player. From the comfort of their armchairs, they know exactly what should have happened, and just can't fathom how anyone can not do exactly the right thing all the time.

King, Dunstall, Dixon (the worst offenders in my eyes) - please oh please give us the benefit of your obvious and considerable wisdom and go and coach. It is obviously so easy, go on, and at least that way you'll be off my telly.

I'll tread carefully around this one for fear of infraction points...

Firstly, I agree with criticism of LeCras' game on the weekend. Was defensively very poor and has been all year. He should be dropped from our side.

Over the past few months we've seen Tom Boyd, Alex Fasolo and Travis Cloke all take time away from the game for mental health issues. Each time we're told by the media that there's too much pressure on players, keyboard warriors are saying horrible things on Twitter, constant speculation, criticism, attention etc. can all contribute to a player's well being and/or affect them if they are already struggling.

With that in mind is it acceptable for footy personalities to single out players on nationally televised programs and say they 'should never play again'? Seems like a bit of a double standard to me, which given the footy media is nothing new.

Now I assume that LeCras is going OK mental health wise, but for all anyone knows he could potentially be struggling with mental health issues. If it came out that he has been struggling with something or does in future, does that frame King's comments differently?

Is the accepted norm that all 800 players are fair game and anyone can say whatever they want until such time that a player declares publicly they have mental health issues and then they become off limits and the media can get on their high horse about not speculating about or criticising players etc?

It's almost like he's a supporter of [insert team name here] on BF. This is the most melt-tastic site on the Internet. A random melt in the paper is child's play compared to this joint.

The only difference between BF and David King is that he used his real name. Melting over a melt which is so much more tame than the anonymous vitriol poured out on these pages every week is a bit ridiculous.

Players in today's game are more open to criticism than they were before. Not that I subscribe to the opinion that players are fair game to public trials by media - its more of the media's lack of morals when it comes to drumming up any tripe it can to get a good story.

And the public buys into it, that's 1/2 the problem

I believe that any player wanting to play AFL has to accept that there will be opinions made about them by the media. That comes with the territory. So yes, David King's criticism of Mark LeCras is fair game.

What I think is damaging is when people play the mental health card to escape warranted criticism. When it comes to mental health we currently have a media that errs on the side of caution and gives benefit of the doubt to someone who claims mental health issues. There is a risk of 'the boy who cries wolf' scenario, where that erring on the side of caution is eroded by people using mental health as a 'get out of jail free' card. There should be some scrutiny on people who have claimed mental health issues as a public relations exercise.

You don't develop mental health issues because people are tweeting nasty s**t at you ffs.

Suggesting that King giving LeCras a spray in the paper might lead to the latter developing depression absolutely diminishes the battles that the likes of Buddy, Cloke and Fasolo have gone through.

If LeCras did come out in the future and suggest he'd been struggling with his mental health there would be no causation.

Laying the boot into LeCras isn't overly insightful. More hilarious that they didn't seem to pick on Priddis either.

Given most on the Eagles board realised LeCras and Priddis were cooked months ago, its not surprising the finest minds in the media are only realising just now. Next they'll suggest that maybe Scott Thompson should retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think on field performance should always be open to criticism (as long as it as fair and balanced with praise when warranted).
As others have said, this is not unexpected compared to what LeCras actually provides for the eagles.

Now if they were alluding to off-field stuff or stuff that is irrelevent to footy, then the media can piss off - but i think this is fair game.

You don't develop mental health issues because people are tweeting nasty s**t at you ffs.

Suggesting that King giving LeCras a spray in the paper might lead to the latter developing depression absolutely diminishes the battles that the likes of Buddy, Cloke and Fasolo have gone through.

If LeCras did come out in the future and suggest he'd been struggling with his mental health there would be no causation.

I don't disagree at all, but for each of those players mentioned public criticism, pressure of expectation, social media keyboard warriors have all been mentioned.

Can you say that Tom Boyd is overpaid, waste of money etc or can't you? Can you say that Trav Cloke should never play again or can't you?

This is definitely not true. Those sorts of things can definitely trigger mental health issues.

What I think is damaging is when people play the mental health card to escape warranted criticism. When it comes to mental health we currently have a media that errs on the side of caution and gives benefit of the doubt to someone who claims mental health issues. There is a risk of 'the boy who cries wolf' scenario, where that erring on the side of caution is eroded by people using mental health as a 'get out of jail free' card. There should be some scrutiny on people who have claimed mental health issues as a public relations exercise.

Agree with this, and I believe clubs know it and it has already been played at least once.

The only difference between BF and David King is that he used his real name. Melting over a melt which is so much more tame than the anonymous vitriol poured out on these pages every week is a bit ridiculous.

King's comments are in a much more public forum and much more likely to reach LeCras than any comments by anonymous posters on this website. Comparing them is 'ridiculous'.

I don't disagree at all, but for each of those players mentioned public criticism, pressure of expectation, social media keyboard warriors have all been mentioned.

Can you say that Tom Boyd is overpaid, waste of money etc or can't you? Can you say that Trav Cloke should never play again or can't you?
I think you can say that when they are playing, as Tom Boyd is on leave from football due to mental health issues, you'd treat it more like an injury - you could suggest that due to circumstances outside of their control, the deal has not been worth it due to the injuries/ mental health issues.

Players who are currently uninjured and playing a fair game in my opinion for criticism. I don't think David King crossed any lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back