Is David King's criticism of Mark LeCras fair game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Or, you know, the difference of King being paid handsomely to air his opinions in a public forum. Posters on BF are not remunerated (unless you include 'likes') for their commentary, regardless of the insight, or lack of, provided. It is King's job to provide analysis of teams and players in the competition and this may include singling out and criticising individual players from time to time. I don't have a problem with that. I do have a problem with the blatant overreaction to one clip (and I know that LeCras is a serial offender in defensive pressure but I am making the point more generally about King and Healy and co. making blanket statements off one clip or one display of 'body language') and lack of nuance in the work of a lot of these analysts. King is hardly alone in this regard but for someone who Fox Sports trumpets 'as the best analyst in the game', a lot of his analysis is hardly groundbreaking or incisive.

What is most frustrating is the accountability these analysts put on players - "LeCras shouldn't play again" - isn't reciprocated by the networks that employ these analysts. King and co. shouldn't be so quick to "go whack" considering the inconsistency of their own performance on the job. If they are to hold players to such a high standard that they hysterically magnify individual moments in a game of thousands of such moments, they should expect the same of them. Bigfooty posters do not need to heed such warning; they are fans first and foremost, not analysts, and don't have any responsibility to the players or others.

Interesting analysis.

The difference between BigFooty and the media is (supposed) credibility and reach. Hell we have 'worst player ever', 'worst player your club has seen' etc. threads on a yearly basis. Fox Footy hasn't got on board with that. Yet.

Anyone can say any stupid thing on this site or facebook, twitter etc. and the chances of it reaching a player are tiny compared to a media personality saying the same thing on a nationally televised program. The footy media don't want to admit it, but there's not actually that much to report on for one league of 18 teams playing footy each weekend, so it (the media) runs on scandal and speculation and operates as an industry within itself. David King says something on Monday night then his comments are reported in the papers on Tuesday. Commentary on commentary. But the masses lap it up.

If I suggest LeCras should be dropped (as I did before the Pies game) no one gives a s**t. King says 'nup, should never play again' on national TV and then at the next media conference it becomes a thing. Adam Simpson, Shannon Hurn, LeCras himself or any other player present get asked what they thought about it Etc. Then invariably the focus will shift to 'so he's 31 and out of contract, have you ruled a line through him for next year now?' which again adds 2/5 of SFA. NB: he may or may not be out of contract, but I doubt most footy journos would bother to find out. Damien Hardwick has answered more questions about Dustin Martin's contract status in post training session and post game press conferences than he's had hot meals.

I just find it ridiculous when peanuts in the meeja get on their soapbox about social media, pressure put on players etc. when they make a living out of it.

I don't mind commentators calling out individual players and saying that they are not playing well or performing in certain areas, that's all fine. Don't really agree with saying "X player should never play again." That's really the sort of stuff that gets spread around on an internet forum but doesn't have a place on public tv shows. Needs to choose his words more carefully.

I tend to agree that Lecras is a liability these days. Its a shame really, he was a heck of a player in his prime.

The only difference between BF and David King is that he used his real name.

The only difference? I'd suggest the major difference is that King is paid huge coin to make the sort of statement a TV Network could find on BigFooty for free. No wonder AFL media talking heads don't like keyboard warriors - the level of expertise is about the same, only about $200k a year cheaper.

King kicked 7 goals in a game once. Definitely qualified
I seem to recall King being pantsed on Grand Final day 1998 by James Thiessen (who only played 50 odd games). He would've been crucified by the media (i.e. those like himself) these days. Better to critique rather than criticise. He who casts the first stone?

What we really need is Footy Media Watch.

Highlighting all of the dumb/inconsistent/hypocritical things said in a given week would take longer than a 10 minute segment before Q&A, but it would be entertaining.

I don't have the skills or time to do something like that, but I'd love to. I'd definitely watch it if someone did it. It might stop some of this incessant hyberbole, or "hot takes" or whatever the current phrase is.

There are so many talking heads and journos that the opinions have to be more and more extreme. What's wrong with people saying "West Coast don't look great right now, they have issues in the forward line and midfield, their leadership is shaky, their list is pretty old and Simpson will be under pressure to turn it around". It's pretty accurate without being overly negative and if they do turn it around it's not an incorrect statement. I don't need to hear "Le Cras/Priddis/whoever is cooked, he should never play again", "Simpson indulges his older players and his position looks under threat", or "WC cannot win the flag if they have to win away finals". For a start it's stupid to be so binary - you'll eventually be made to look stupid - and WC have just come off a GF and then a top 8 finish, and could still make the finals this year. Their list isn't in great shape but they're a hell of a lot better than a chunk of other teams - this year and over the recent past.

Personally, I'd love for every Fox Footy friday night broadcast to have a cut to - right before King asks everyone for their tips for the night - the time he said Sydney would beat Hawthorn by 10 goals in the '14 GF, and when he scoffed at Brad Johnson saying Freo would fall off a cliff in 2016. Muppet.

The footy media love the binary. Adam Simpson's job as coach is either 'under threat' or 'not under threat' even though he is contracted for another year or two. He's not special and has in fact had a charmed run of low external pressure but anyone in the latter category is boring, so they focus on teams that are under-performing and teams that have coaches coming out of contract. Collingwood and Gold Coast tick both boxes so we've heard about them all year over and over and over. Richmond re-signed Hardwick before last year and it made no difference to constant speculation. They're hovering around 4th/5th this year and nary a peep. If Hardwick was petulant and acted like the media then every press conference this year he'd say things like 'I guess I can coach, and re-signing me was a good idea. What do you think about that, journo who asked me whether I could coach after 22 press conferences last year?' and he'd rightly be criticised for it.

The Eagles do seem to have a problem with applying defensive pressure in the middle.

Kingy might get it wrong on many occasions like saying Essendon should not seek to resign the 10 suspended players because the rebuild will take years to now saying its an exciting side to watch.

He has had a lot of injuries and is nearing the end of his career. Any players, even champions will be targeted by media as they near the end. Look at how they got stuck into Gary Ablett in his second game this season for playing his first bad game in 12 years. Take it with a pinch of salt, King was just looking for his next headline.

I didn't see the game, but from I understand LeCras was not much good when it counted at the end. I also understand he was from alone there.

King is part of a bizarre little media culture that kind of the "scoop" mentality of real journalism. But instead of breaking real news - it is all about the "take".

A suitably effective TAKE gains a life of its own in footyworld - other media discuss what was said etc etc.

King's view here was designed to grab headlines and nothing more, sane as Carey's claim about Sam Mitchell not getting a hand anywhere else.

LeCras though is the kind of player who gets looked on as soft. This is ridiculous - no player who gets a senior game can ever be considered soft.

But because of the way he looks - blonde and "pretty boyish" - and his role as an often outside flanker goaksneak type, again, fits the "soft" cliche.

But ffs he's played nearly 200 games, kicked 400 odd goals, been All Australian.

A great career in anyone's book. He probably should hang up the boots at the end of the year.

But King should shut up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't see the game, but from I understand LeCras was not much good when it counted at the end. I also understand he was from alone there.

King is part of a bizarre little media culture that kind of the "scoop" mentality of real journalism. But instead of breaking real news - it is all about the "take".

A suitably effective TAKE gains a life of its own in footyworld - other media discuss what was said etc etc.

King's view here was designed to grab headlines and nothing more, sane as Carey's claim about Sam Mitchell not getting a hand anywhere else.

Someone else who gets it. So many people reporting news, so little actual news. Right now there are stories being written about Matt Priddis retiring because he just announced it. At the same time stories are being written about Sam Mitchell retiring, and last I checked he hadn't announced anything.

RE: LeCras, he's not really 'soft' in the sense of shirking contests or overplaying injuries etc. The criticism leveled at his game (fairly) is that he is lazy in his second efforts and only runs one way. Was never a super quick player but was dangerous around goals at his peak and a great user of the ball.

Someone else who gets it. So many people reporting news, so little actual news. Right now there are stories being written about Matt Priddis retiring because he just announced it. At the same time stories are being written about Sam Mitchell retiring, and last I checked he hadn't announced anything.

RE: LeCras, he's not really 'soft' in the sense of shirking contests or overplaying injuries etc. The criticism leveled at his game (fairly) is that he is lazy in his second efforts and only runs one way. Was never a super quick player but was dangerous around goals at his peak and a great user of the ball.
Dangerous is the right word.

The night he kicked 12 against Essendon in the Knights days is seared into my memory horror bank and will never leave it.

Poor effort = poor coach.

Player is going through the motions to pay off the house, and the coach watching the replay thinks it's just a structural problem: 'Oh dear looks like he doesn't care there. Is that a reflection on me? Couldn't possibly be my mother told me I'm a supremely talented and lovable chap.'

Obvious disconnect there between player/coach and coach/reality; and long may it remain.

He's a slow Shaun Higgins.

SEN has taken it from the sublime to the ridiculous.

These days their major half hourly 'news' scoop is whatever sounds grab one of their talking heads said about a player's form in the previous couple of hours.

Playing on next year after getting a 1 year contract extension. Reasonable or a poor move?
Not the worst thing, hard to see him getting 22 games however, They did just have 1150 games of experience just retire, You can't clean out every old head in one swoop. He's one of 3 eagles who are over 30.

Given Giles will be cut, Wellingham/Masten in trouble, thats what, 4 of their oldest players gone, and possibly 6-7 out of the 10 oldest gone as well. So it makes sense to keep around at least one of the older heads. He's super inconsistent but a professional. Even if it's just running around in training leading the way it's the right move

Playing on next year after getting a 1 year contract extension. Reasonable or a poor move?

Understandable but Poor move IMO.

Plays well when those around him are - goes missing when the team is losing. Provides absolutely nothing off the ball or in defence.

I think you wouldve been much better off with another year of Pridda and Lecras retiring instead.

Understandable but Poor move IMO.

Plays well when those around him are - goes missing when the team is losing. Provides absolutely nothing off the ball or in defence.

I think you wouldve been much better off with another year of Pridda and Lecras retiring instead.

With Willie Rioli breathing down his neck, if Lecca doesn't fire, the change will occur sooner rather than later.
:thumbsu: the resigning!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back