Is David Warner the worst home-ground bully ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Has currently played 110 tests, scored almost 8,500 runs at an average of 44. For an opener, that's a damn good record. In fact, it's a damn good record anywhere in the order. But his average away from Australia, is in the low 30s.

My guess is that he has one of the biggest differences in home vs away record of any player to have played a substantial number of tests. His differential between home and away is ~16 runs per innings.

Is there anyone that would come close to that?

Has currently played 110 tests, scored almost 8,500 runs at an average of 44. For an opener, that's a damn good record. In fact, it's a damn good record anywhere in the order. But his average away from Australia, is in the low 30s.

My guess is that he has one of the biggest differences in home vs away record of any player to have played a substantial number of tests. His differential between home and away is ~16 runs per innings.

16 can't be right. I think your maths is a bit off. To be low 30s, must be ~26

16 can't be right. I think your maths is a bit off. To be low 30s, must be ~26
Yep

VenueMatInnsNO100s50s0sHS RunsAvgS/RCaSt
Home​
55​
95​
7​
19​
14​
5​
335*​
5139​
58.40​
73.27​
44​
0​
Away​
54​
104​
1​
6​
22​
7​
145​
3348​
32.50​
66.36​
41​
0​
Overall​
109​
199​
8​
25​
36​
12​
335*​
8487​
44.43​
70.38​
85​
0​

differential of 26 puts him 3rd:

differential of 26 puts him 3rd:

And up there with Dessie Haynes, Jayawardena, Doug Walters, Shiv Chanderpaul. Some very good players have done a lot better at home.

RohitSharma come on down.

Averages 66.7 at home and 34.5 away.

Not surprised to see Mudasser Nazar on the list, he was always picked to tour down here and I could never understand why.
How do you feel about Allan Border - 46 at home

57 away?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about Warner's overseas Test record is that it was petty impressive in the 2014-15 period but rapidly fell away after that.

Didn't reach 70 once in his final 21 overseas Tests yet was a permanent fixture in the side while the likes of Khawaja and Head (just this year) were left out because of issues they had in those conditions.

He'd have to be on the podium. I was too young to see much of Doug Walters but apparently he was a waking wicket in England.

I think they only took Dougie Walters on tours of England because he was one of Rod Marsh and Ian Chappell's favourite drinking buddies.

The two things he will always be able to at least look back on with a bit of fondness is his trip to Bangladesh where he saved Australia’s blushes with one century that prevented a complete smashing and another that squared the series and prevented a 2-0 defeat, and his performances in SA where even allowing for the relative similarity of the conditions to Australia, he put in some huge performances against some of the greatest attacks of the modern era in their home conditions

I didn't realise his career average was under 45, with the way some people carry on like he is an all time great I assumed it would have been atleast 47-48.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back