Is ducking to draw the free a blight on the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Something needs to be done over preseason. It's a joke right now the high free kicks he gets.

I traditionally love watching the cats due to all their great players and squads. but sadly selwood makes that side unejoyable

#duckingcheat

I'm far from Selwood's biggest fan, I've made a thread about his BS before.

This thread is just completely strange though. If my team was killing the opposition in a prelim the last thing I'd be thinking about is Selwood's ducking.

Remiscent of the crowd on TV carrying on despite being up big.

The thing about the crowd is, but for the umpires it would have been a 15 goal win.

The Cats kicked at least 5 goals from free kicks directly, and another one or two with dodgy free kicks in the chain of possession that led to goals.

It was so obvious as to be odd NOT to comment on it.

If Sloane (or anyone else at other times) tried to tackle him any lower he'd jump and get a free for 'legged'. Compare the height of his head with the fence here:

View attachment 419256

His head literally drops a foot in height from pre contact to contact.

It's an effing blight.

And anyone who says players need to tackle lower or it's not his job to make the tackle easy miss the point completely.

He is deliberately playing for free kicks.

In my book and in the vast vast majority of football people's minds, that is cheating.

bartop20.png

selwoodwestlines.png

zfreesdots.png

THERE ARE STATS CURRENT 2016

Last edited:
What he does is against the rules. Is it cheating? I think you can make a strong argument for yes. But it's up to the umpires to enforce the rules that have been put in place. He can only get away with cheating if the umpires fail to make the calls they should be making.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-03-17/2017-laws-of-the-game-high-tackles

The umpire shouldn't call a free kick against the tackler where the player with the ball draws high contact via a shrug, duck, arm lift or similar action.

0:51 mark the example of McLean is exactly what Selwood does every game. It's surprising they didn't just use Selwood as the example.

His head literally drops a foot in height from pre contact to contact ... It's an effing blight.

And anyone who says players need to tackle lower or it's not his job to make the tackle easy miss the point completely ... He is deliberately playing for free kicks.

For me, the point is, that if he has time to play for a free, he has time to dispose of the ball. If the AFL have decided a player's contribution to a high tackle renders that contact a non-issue, then the umps need to start pinging players with HTB as having prior opportunity. I wanna hear umps call out "you chose to drop your knees instead of handball Joel", when the whistle draws the inevitable looks of confusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then he tackles someone high andvthey call it holding the ball

I know right.... I don't understand it cause he is always in the face of umpires. He bitches about every decision that doesn't go his way.

I miss the idea of Selwood who was an old fashioned footballer who won the ball in the pack. Where did he go?

I know right.... I don't understand it cause he is always in the face of umpires. He bitches about every decision that doesn't go his way.

I miss the idea of Selwood who was an old fashioned footballer who won the ball in the pack. Where did he go?

Yeah he always sprays the umps, he should atleast respect the guys that keep him in the game.

There was that moment where he ducked three times from two tackles in about 5 seconds and the people I was with burst into laughter watching the game, I dunnoh what the ump was thinking paying that.

I would honestly not hold it against him for getting free kicks if he didn't act like an ass to the umpires all game, he acts pretty entitled. It works for him, the AFL is a joke for letting it happen. Reminds me of that time the NBA cracked down on flopping, no one noticed much.

Frustrating thing is the AFL came out and said they would no longer pay it if someone initiates the high contact, drops etc. But he, and some others, still get em time and time again. Then the umpires boss will come out midweek and say they got it right. Mind boggling.

what a distraction - sloane should be outed for his head bump.

Everyone else has gone this year for head high bumps

The thing about the crowd is, but for the umpires it would have been a 15 goal win.

The Cats kicked at least 5 goals from free kicks directly, and another one or two with dodgy free kicks in the chain of possession that led to goals.

It was so obvious as to be odd NOT to comment on it.
This is par for the course, the cats and their fans know that at some point they're going to receive a soft free in front of goal, to get them a nice easy forward 50 entry or to get them out of trouble. Their constant whining to the umps has got completely into the umps' heads. It's really sad.

This is the biggest thing for me. The ducking is one thing, but that also on the opposition and the umpires to work around too. He's been doing it for years, people are/should be aware of it.

But when he's put on a pedestal as a great leader, yet 90% of contests he'll be waving his arms, or lipping off at the umpire about a missed call (which is a bit bizzare considering how well he gets looked after).

He needs to show respect for all in the game (umps included)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back