Opinion Is everyone overreacting? or: have some patience, have some faith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe consider dialling down the hyperbole. Who called for the coach to be sacked?

I haven’t seen anyone being serious call for Bev to be sacked/

A few, including myself, suggest coaching needs to change and Bevs “free hit” period is well over.

Hopefully the club do a thorough clean out of assistants and get Bev some senior help that I think he needs

A few, including myself, suggest coaching needs to change and Bevs “free hit” period is well over.

Hopefully the club do a thorough clean out of assistants and get Bev some senior help that I think he needs
Well on this you and I agree MD. I said a few days ago that the honeymoon is over for Bevo and that the coaching issues highlighted on here recently need addressing.

OK. You have identified the/a problem, so what is the answer? Specifically, which assistants should be moved on and for what deficiencies, and who do you want to give the "senior help" to Bev?

OK. You have identified the/a problem, so what is the answer? Specifically, which assistants should be moved on and for what deficiencies, and who do you want to give the "senior help" to Bev?

Every one of them

Grant- only got the job because of who he is. We all love him but he has done a shite job so far.

Smith - as above

Gia- was forward coach in 16 and that was our worst line. Mid coach in 17-18 and they are s**t. Go away for the love of god

Hansen- not up to it

King - no thanks

Corey- move him to backline coach

Every one of them

Grant- only got the job because of who he is. We all love him but he has done a shite job so far.

Smith - as above

Gia- was forward coach in 16 and that was our worst line. Mid coach in 17-18 and they are s**t. Go away for the love of god

Hansen- not up to it

King - no thanks

Corey- move him to backline coach

These are your opinions of the worth of these men but you have not stated what their particular shortcomings/failures are. Can you be more specific? eg Of King you say only "no thanks". Why "no thanks"? With regard to Grant you say he "has done a shite job so far". The same for Smith. A bit of substance might lend weight to your opinions.

These are your opinions of the worth of these men but you have not stated what their particular shortcomings/failures are. Can you be more specific? eg Of King you say only "no thanks". Why "no thanks"? With regard to Grant you say he "has done a shite job so far". The same for Smith. A bit of substance might lend weight to your opinions.

Grant - many questions as to his ability to do the job before he even started. He got the job because of who he is, if someone else turned up with his resume they would have been told thanks but not thanks. Couldn’t resolve the issues between Dal and Macca and apparently got more involved in trade period than was his position to do so.

Smith - has never been at another club so what can he add in coaching ideas or external IP?

Gia - as above and I can’t stand the bloke.

King and Hansen - time to move on they are poor on current positions and I don’t want us to just move people around. We need fresh eyes and ideas.

Grant - many questions as to his ability to do the job before he even started. He got the job because of who he is, if someone else turned up with his resume they would have been told thanks but not thanks. Couldn’t resolve the issues between Dal and Macca and apparently got more involved in trade period than was his position to do so.

Smith - has never been at another club so what can he add in coaching ideas or external IP?

King and Hansen - time to move on they are poor on current positions and I don’t want us to just move people around. We need fresh eyes and ideas.

Ok. Thanks for the further information.

I agree with a lot of it, but also think there is a chance of really messing things up changing the entire asst coaching line up, as well as Director of Football.

Gia and King I think can probably go easily enough.

Smith seems to get a lot of plaudits for his development work (and has since shifted into a FT development role? - so possibly not having a huge say on strategy?). I think our development has been encouraging, without being outstanding. His work with guys like Cordy and JJ has been reported as being good. He stays for mine.

Corey appears to be a gun coach, so he stays too.

Hansen it's hard to tell. Still new to the role compared to the others.

Snr. Asst. Maple
Forwards: New
Stoppage: Corey
Mids: New
Backs: Smith
Development: Hansen, Goves, Russell etc etc

Would love to get a guy like Nathan Van Berlo or someone like that who has had a decent career in a club Bevo hasn't been involved with, and has since had another year or two in another strong program.

downloadfile.jpg

Clearly they have no idea what they are doing...

Rohan Smith is one of the best up and coming coaches around. Its no coincidence that when he took more of a development role our team defence turned to shite and our young players look good.

Is this really surprising though? When you can't capitalise on first attempt, you have to press harder to lock the ball in. When you press harder you're more likely to get beaten out the back, particularly when you turn the ball over.

In my opinion our defensive lapses are primarily driven by our inability to convert. Improve that and our defence (save for a few games here and there) is not a significant issue for mine.
Yes correct and that's just reflective of how teams play today.

When you press you create forward half turnovers (good example was against the Bombers) but if you then turn it over yourselves it can make for easy goals out the back.

I believe we play the right style we just need to get more efficient at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think there have been many who have over reacted to our current situation. Some have found reasons to criticise selection, coaching and/or players but I can't think of too many OTT posts.
You sure about that?

I reckon I have seen a few!

I think on the whole the board is pretty balanced. The negative ninjas post a lot more after losses, because what they've just seen confirms their views. And the positive pirates post more after wins for the same reason.

So I don't think everyone's overreacting. We've just been hearing a lot from the negative ninjas over the weekend.

And they bring the vibe down, man. It's really heavy.
Yes I generally go into witness protection for 3/4 days after a loss as I need to recover and I cant cop too much negativity.

I get that we all support in different ways and at the heart of it all we love the club but sometimes our posters piss me off more than the Plastics running out of beer at half time in a Prelim!

I think that's oversimplifying.
Chris Grant developed the yips shooting for goal about half way through his career. Does that make him a mediocre player?
Similarly Buddy Franklin has had periods when he's been horribly inaccurate with very gettable shots (even though he nails some impossibly difficult shots).
And Reiwoldts (both of them) have had their issues at different times

Yes I generally go into witness protection for 3/4 days after a loss as I need to recover and I cant cop too much negativity.

I get that we all support in different ways and at the heart of it all we love the club but sometimes our posters piss me off more than the Plastics running out of beer at half time in a Prelim!

We have an overly cynical supporter base .. some cannot even accept the success of 2016 without trying to discredit it, thus feeding the opposition trolls

You sure about that?

I reckon I have seen a few!
After a bad loss there are always a small number but the vast majority of those which have contained some criticism have remained fairly subdued. I can only think of one poster who resorted to the usual fairly epic melt that we've come to expect. Other than that, the criticism has been valid and far from over the top I think. Player criticism is a bit different .. but that will always be subjective and certain players have their haters.

If there has been an over reaction it has been the optimistic posters over reacting to others who have some criticism. We have a very poor win/loss record since our Premiership, we are miles away from looking like a genuine contender and questions are rightly being asked. Don't over react to that I'd say.

View attachment 501179

Clearly they have no idea what they are doing...

Lol I love this

Chris Grant took over his role in June of 2016. He had next to zero to do with winning the flag and since then has been far from good.

That’s not easy for me to say because he was one of my favs growing up.

Smith had one year as defensive coach in 2016 and did a sterling job but I have alway said good coaches learn from many sources. Look at MItchell and Hodge. Did they stay at the only club they know? How can you learn if you don’t get out there and expand your knowledge?

I think sometimes people forget just how small the margin for error has become. There are 18 teams, all stacked with full time professional employees who are striving for any sort of competitive edge fighting for One premiership cup. The majority of sides these days have their s**t together, the smallest drop off can make a massive difference. Whether that's down to injuries, retirements, rule changes, players losing their edge after experiencing the ultimate success, players drinking their own bathwater, players having a few extra cheeseburgers over the summer months, etc...every variable matters.

In a decade worth of footy from 2005 - 2014, eleven out of eighteen teams played in a Prelim Final.
In the past three years from 2015 - 2017, ten out of eighteen teams have played in Prelim Final. (With 6 different Grand Finalists)

Things are changing from season to season in a way they never have before. The Giants had over a dozen first round draft picks running around on the weekend and got beaten by a team who finished bottom four in 2017 and now sit outside the top 8. The third placed Cats were belted by 16th placed Bombers. Things are so tight and will continue to get tighter.

Teams with a distinct home ground advantage, who are well coached and administered;
Adelaide, West Coast, Sydney, Geelong, Port Adelaide, Richmond

Teams who are well coached and administered;
Melbourne, Norf

Teams that are well coached and administered but have significant injuries;
GWS, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Dogs

Teams that almost have their s**t together;
Freo, Essendon

Teams that don't have their s**t together;
GC, Bris, Carlton, St.Kilda

I have NO doubt that had the injuries to key players not occurred during the 2017/2018 Seasons then we would be sitting comfortably in the first group of teams. We haven't had a lot go right since October 2016, in fact you could argue that every variable i mentioned that could cause a slight drop off has happened with us. I'm confident that we have the coaching and the talented young list to build a juggernaut! Go Dogs!

Lol I love this

Chris Grant took over his role in June of 2016. He had next to zero to do with winning the flag and since then has been far from good.

That’s not easy for me to say because he was one of my favs growing up.

Smith had one year as defensive coach in 2016 and did a sterling job but I have alway said good coaches learn from many sources. Look at MItchell and Hodge. Did they stay at the only club they know? How can you learn if you don’t get out there and expand your knowledge?

So Grant was on the Board for 4 years prior to becoming Director of Football in 2016 and was also chair of the five person committee that hired Luke Beveridge but had nothing to do with us winning a flag???

Smith was an integral part of the coaching panel that led us to a PREMIERSHIP!!! but is no good because he hasn't had any outside experience??? Why would you go to another Club to learn how to win, when you already know what it takes?

This logic does my head in Matt.

So Grant was on the Board for 4 years prior to becoming Director of Football in 2016 and was also chair of the five person committee that hired Luke Beveridge but had nothing to do with us winning a flag???

Smith was an integral part of the coaching panel that led us to a PREMIERSHIP!!! but is no good because he hasn't had any outside experience??? Why would you go to another Club to learn how to win, when you already know what it takes?

This logic does my head in Matt.

And Grant did a good job in his old role. I his new one he has been poor and nearly everyone admits that. Or are you telling me you don’t think he has been poor?

Know how to win? Come on we aren’t hawthorn. We have had one year of success in our lifetime and Smith never won anything as a player.

Mitchell and Hodge have won several times and did they stay at the hawks? No they branches out and expand their learning from other sources. I’m not saying they can’t be great coaches but they won’t if they only stay at one club.

YOur logic makes head hurt because it makes no sense and is contained by bias.

And Grant did a good job in his old role. I his new one he has been poor and nearly everyone admits that. Or are you telling me you don’t think he has been poor?

Know how to win? Come on we aren’t hawthorn. We have had one year of success in our lifetime and Smith never won anything as a player.

Mitchell and Hodge have won several times and did they stay at the hawks? No they branches out and expand their learning from other sources. I’m not saying they can’t be great coaches but they won’t if they only stay at one club.

YOur logic makes head hurt because it makes no sense and is contained by bias.

I'm confused...so did Grant contribute to the flag or not? On the one hand you are saying that he did a good job in his former role which included overseeing the recruitment of Premiership coach Luke Beveridge but then say that he had next to zero to do with us winning said flag.

Using generalities like "nearly everyone admits that he has been poor" does not strengthen your argument in any way, shape or form. Who are these "nearly everyones"??? People in the inner sanctum of which, by your own admission, you have no sources within? People you know outside of Footy, who again have no knowledge of the inner workings of the Club, People on this forum? The Media? What is it exactly that you expect from Grant to deliver, how does he obtain a pass mark in your eyes?

How many combined Premierships did Clarkson and Beveridge win as players?

I'm confused...so did Grant contribute to the flag or not? On the one hand you are saying that he did a good job in his former role which included overseeing the recruitment of Premiership coach Luke Beveridge but then say that he had next to zero to do with us winning said flag.

Using generalities like "nearly everyone admits that he has been poor" does not strengthen your argument in any way, shape or form. Who are these "nearly everyones"??? People in the inner sanctum of which, by your own admission, you have no sources within? People you know outside of Footy, who again have no knowledge of the inner workings of the Club, People on this forum? The Media? What is it exactly that you expect from Grant to deliver, how does he obtain a pass mark in your eyes?

How many combined Premierships did Clarkson and Beveridge win as players?

Lol ok

Grant has been brilliant and we are flying you are right

Handled the Stringer, Dalrymple and McCartney issues brilliantly and made sure they all stayed so that was very good by him.

You are right everyone at our club is perfect it’s only bad luck why we aren’t lining up our third flag in a row because no one has done anything wrong.

My apologies mate how could anyone question anything from this perfect club.

Lol ok

Grant has been brilliant and we are flying you are right

Handled the Stringer, Dalrymple and McCartney issues brilliantly and made sure they all stayed so that was very good by him.

You are right everyone at our club is perfect it’s only bad luck why we aren’t lining up our third flag in a row because no one has done anything wrong.

My apologies mate how could anyone question anything from this perfect club.
Couldn't answer any of my questions and then put words in my mouth, well played.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back