Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
just to go alongside the huge ‘is footy at its most unwatchable right now’ which ironically seems to be media driven
Does the footy media need an ‘intervention?’
for example do you think 360 for example will assemble a panel of ‘experts’ and dissect the media in the same way as they dissect the state of the game?

What about it if any of you power brokers are reading this?

Truckosaurus

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The same idiots dribbling the same crap every week for years now, just occasionally shuffled up and repackaged in different formats. Fresh blood would help but I don't trust the talent identification of an industry that's largely interested in how well you kicked a football when looking to fill a roster.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
The Fox Footy non-match programs are pretty disappointing this year, a lot of missed opportunities.

I would love to see Fox Footy during the week go right into detail on the tactical and technical detail of each match played; an hour devoted to using the angles that show the whole ground to illustrate the tactical battles that defined a match. They do this in brief snippets on On The Couch and post-game on Friday nights but they could do it so much more.

For those who think an hour of this technical analysis per match is too much, you've got a 24/7 footy channel, why not use its potential to dive right into the tactics of the game?

the_big_sav

Premiership Player
May 29, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
they tried that with dunstall lynch scott and kingy about 5 years ago.

i liked it but it mustnt of rated well.

very half arsed cost cutting non match shows unfortunately this season

AFL media is still basically driven by negativity and controversy. Someone finds a hot story (eg Robbo) the media self perpetuate and squeeze it dry.

Gibbsy

Cakewalk
Oct 12, 2009
Geetroit
AFL Club
Collingwood
The Fox Footy non-match programs are pretty disappointing this year, a lot of missed opportunities.

I would love to see Fox Footy during the week go right into detail on the tactical and technical detail of each match played; an hour devoted to using the angles that show the whole ground to illustrate the tactical battles that defined a match. They do this in brief snippets on On The Couch and post-game on Friday nights but they could do it so much more.

For those who think an hour of this technical analysis per match is too much, you've got a 24/7 footy channel, why not use its potential to dive right into the tactics of the game?

They used to do that on a show called AFL Insider, I think it was on a Tuesday night. Got canned a few years back.

They used to do that on a show called AFL Insider, I think it was on a Tuesday night. Got canned a few years back.

that was a strange show. four guys standing around a round table. camera shots from all sides, so at any time you saw the speaker and the back of another guys head.

I feel commentary is at the worst point it's ever been, and add to that the journos they add to the coverage like McClueless and Ralph think they are the stars of the show.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I feel commentary is at the worst point it's ever been, and add to that the journos they add to the coverage like McClueless and Ralph think they are the stars of the show.

It's all about me, me, me with most of the journos now.

'This is an exclusive'...'You heard it here first', 'As first revealed here at 12.57am', 'Person X told me exclusively'. Nobody give a stuff about those p****** contests between journos and media outlets, just report the news and don't put yourself in the middle of it.

It's all about me, me, me with most of the journos now.

'This is an exclusive'...'You heard it here first', 'As first revealed here at 12.57am', 'Person X told me exclusively'. Nobody give a stuff about those p****** contests between journos and media outlets, just report the news and don't put yourself in the middle of it.
Spot on.. And at some point the commentary seemed to change to be about "entertainment" which has ruined it.. The game is the entertainment, we don't need to hear about if a players socks are long or short or if somewhere is a footy factory or if a goal umpire wears sunnies or not..

The Meerkat

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It’s a while ago now but I used to like watching ‘living with’ on Fox.
It was a footy show but with the partners of footy players.
It’s not really something a man should own up to watching but it was different and was a lot better than the s**t that is on these days.

SportsCentre

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets
A couple of shows I would have liked to have seen.

In its first incarnation of Fox Footy, they had From The Vault. A highlights package of a game from the 80s / 90s.

Bring back The Winners with Drew Morphett. Another trip down memory lane.

I would have liked to see a "Legends" type program. A bit like Open Mike in theory, but more of a 30 minutes career highlights / journey package of some of the legends of the AFL. For example, Leigh Matthews, footage of his career from his debut in 1969 through to 1985, with maybe Leigh voicing over / providing commentary / anecdotes about certain years. They have access to the footage.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
A couple of shows I would have liked to have seen.

In its first incarnation of Fox Footy, they had From The Vault. A highlights package of a game from the 80s / 90s.

Bring back The Winners with Drew Morphett. Another trip down memory lane.

I would have liked to see a "Legends" type program. A bit like Open Mike in theory, but more of a 30 minutes career highlights / journey package of some of the legends of the AFL. For example, Leigh Matthews, footage of his career from his debut in 1969 through to 1985, with maybe Leigh voicing over / providing commentary / anecdotes about certain years. They have access to the footage.

Couldn't agree more, but that would require creativity and that's something running in short supply.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal

Wasn't that a show that had Alistair Lynch on it? Pass.

I probably wasn't clear in my previous post; I don't mean a weekly hourly show as 'On The Couch' has that mostly covered. I mean spending an hour on each match played that weekend and going into detail about the tactics of the game; perhaps showing a 10 minute period just viewing from the entire ground at once and seeing how a side sets up and how that defined the game.

Instead, while we get the occasional bit of insight on 'On The Couch', across the Sunday Footy Shows, Footy Classified, Talking Footy, OTC etc... it's the same 4 or 5 pieces of footage and talking points over and over again. A real waste.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Wasn't that a show that had Alistair Lynch on it? Pass.

I probably wasn't clear in my previous post; I don't mean a weekly hourly show as 'On The Couch' has that mostly covered. I mean spending an hour on each match played that weekend and going into detail about the tactics of the game; perhaps showing a 10 minute period just viewing from the entire ground at once and seeing how a side sets up and how that defined the game.

Instead, while we get the occasional bit of insight on 'On The Couch', across the Sunday Footy Shows, Footy Classified, Talking Footy, OTC etc... it's the same 4 or 5 pieces of footage and talking points over and over again. A real waste.
sounds like a coach's meeting. I'd watch it. Wish there was access to behind the goals game films.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
The game has the media it deserves. Because of the way the game is played now, it has given rise to tactical analysis, endless dribble of meaningless statistics, etc, and who better to present this then a group of over-confident people with massive egos who think they know more about the game's tactics than the coaches, and try to impress everyone with their knowledge.

Who else cringes when they talk about commentators in the LAB? Woah!!!!

Don't you just love this "Player X should have been there, player Y should have been over here, and then player Z should have been circling around behind them, blah, blah, blah" .... better than laxatives. You've got 18 players running all over the ground, players being rotated, they're not always going to be in the precise position every time, especially when there's been a turnover. It's becoming just like American sports where they have a useless statistic for every occasion, as if they actually mean anything.

What I'd prefer to see is analysis of why Player X just missed an easy shot for goal from 20 metres out straight on front. That would help the game more than the waffle they carry on about.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
The game has the media it deserves. Because of the way the game is played now, it has given rise to tactical analysis, endless dribble of meaningless statistics, etc, and who better to present this then a group of over-confident people with massive egos who think they know more about the game's tactics than the coaches, and try to impress everyone with their knowledge.

Who else cringes when they talk about commentators in the LAB? Woah!!!!

Don't you just love this "Player X should have been there, player Y should have been over here, and then player Z should have been circling around behind them, blah, blah, blah" .... better than laxatives. You've got 18 players running all over the ground, players being rotated, they're not always going to be in the precise position every time, especially when there's been a turnover. It's becoming just like American sports where they have a useless statistic for every occasion, as if they actually mean anything.

What I'd prefer to see is analysis of why Player X just missed an easy shot for goal from 20 metres out straight on front. That would help the game more than the waffle they carry on about.
Add liberal doses when discussing it of " He has to be better than that".

Back