Is footy media at its most unwatchable?

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last night was a good example of the pure s**t we are expected to accept

Richardson on the boundary says " Rance had to hold that kick because he had absolutely no one down the ground to kick to"
They then show footage from behind the goals that shows a Richmond player on his own 25 meters in front of Rance
Richardson assumes, we the viewers are all blind or stupid, and says "See, he had no one-one"

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Heard Dwayne Russell on 3AW tonight complain about footballers in the news like Mitch McGovern not fronting the media (made his obligatory NBA reference and how Lebron James does interviews after every match).

Then, he justified players being more accessible by saying how there’s so much footy media around that stories need to be built up and that’s why last week the Alex Rance staging saga was in the headlines for several days.

Inadvertently, Dwayne revealed how manufactured and desperate the footy media is; they’re so bloated, not exactly filled with talent and covering a game not exactly dominated with charismatic people they have this mindset of pumping up speculation week after week.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Heard Dwayne Russell on 3AW tonight complain about footballers in the news like Mitch McGovern not fronting the media (made his obligatory NBA reference and how Lebron James does interviews after every match).

Then, he justified players being more accessible by saying how there’s so much footy media around that stories need to be built up and that’s why last week the Alex Rance staging saga was in the headlines for several days.

Inadvertently, Dwayne revealed how manufactured and desperate the footy media is; they’re so bloated, not exactly filled with talent and covering a game not exactly dominated with charismatic people they have this mindset of pumping up speculation week after week.
Basically, "we paid the money now you need to front up so we can fill our bloated programming out so we can sell advertising to recoup our investment"

I would love to see whether the advertising is actually recouping revenue for those companies advertising (we know that it does for gambling, it has successfully become mainstream now on the back of footy advertising).

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sunday Game day panel. Jude Bolton, Jake Lever, Daisy Pierce and some unknown chick hosting.
Special Guest, Jack Higgins???

Cracking viewing.
Don't you want to know the latest reasons why Richmond are better than everybody ever?

So far we know that it's tackling (no one has EVER applied so much pressure... not even two years ago with the Bulldogs with their manic tackling pressure), it's the care that they show each other (no other club cares for each other like the Tigers do), it's the individuality and jokes and pranks (which no club has ever had before), it's the check side goals that "only a Rioli can do" (Richmond invented the checkside/banana kick), .... I wonder what it is today?

It's all about me, me, me with most of the journos now.

'This is an exclusive'...'You heard it here first', 'As first revealed here at 12.57am', 'Person X told me exclusively'. Nobody give a stuff about those p****** contests between journos and media outlets, just report the news and don't put yourself in the middle of it.

Trying to make themselves the headline.

Typical example at the moment. Cyril retires & Wayne Carey puts himself front & centre, complete with the "I had the exclusive"....

Turnover

Cancelled
May 30, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yep. Sunday footy show on channel 9 use to be ok. Unwatchable now, who wants to watch tony jones and Damian Barrett try to one up each other with lame jokes.

Aug 28, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Don't you want to know the latest reasons why Richmond are better than everybody ever?

So far we know that it's tackling (no one has EVER applied so much pressure... not even two years ago with the Bulldogs with their manic tackling pressure), it's the care that they show each other (no other club cares for each other like the Tigers do), it's the individuality and jokes and pranks (which no club has ever had before), it's the check side goals that "only a Rioli can do" (Richmond invented the checkside/banana kick), .... I wonder what it is today?
Just appreciate the greatness

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
You’re witnessing it now. Embrace it. Don’t fight it. You’ll be able to tell your grandkids you lived through this Tiger dominance
Poking the wrong bear sorry.
This one only cares about its own, hence why I am genuinely sit back and smile watching someone else learn about success.
Tigers fans were insufferable when their team hadn't achieved anything. Now, go your hardest.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Sunday Game day panel. Jude Bolton, Jake Lever, Daisy Pierce and some unknown chick hosting.
Special Guest, Jack Higgins???

Cracking viewing.

They're learning from the NBA. Soon the footy media will be loaded with females who think they know what they're talking about. All sports panels in USA are hosted by females these days.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Yep. Sunday footy show on channel 9 use to be ok. Unwatchable now, who wants to watch tony jones and Damian Barrett try to one up each other with lame jokes.

I tuned in this morning to see if they may say something about the Hawks game. I watched for 5 minutes and all they did was "Kane Cornes said this ..... Matthew Lloyd did that, etc". 5 minutes of self promotion and rubbish ... turned off.

May 20, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I tuned in this morning to see if they may say something about the Hawks game. I watched for 5 minutes and all they did was "Kane Cornes said this ..... Matthew Lloyd did that, etc". 5 minutes of self promotion and rubbish ... turned off.

Watching The highlights package on afl.com.au for the Hawks v Bulldogs game you wouuld swear Bulldogs won. Showed basically all their goals and like 5/20 of the hawks. Weird viewing.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Poking the wrong bear sorry.
This one only cares about its own, hence why I am genuinely sit back and smile watching someone else learn about success.
Tigers fans were insufferable when their team hadn't achieved anything. Now, go your hardest.

What the Tigers fans will come to appreciate is success is fleeting and all this cockiness will bite them on the arse when they come crashing down and it happens to every successful side. Every single one.

PowerForGood

10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
They're learning from the NBA. Soon the footy media will be loaded with females who think they know what they're talking about. All sports panels in USA are hosted by females these days.
Might just be that the females engage better with the audience.
Have to say that the SBS and Optus World Cup coverage is very well presented.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Might just be that the females engage better with the audience.
Have to say that the SBS and Optus World Cup coverage is very well presented.

It's the old Salon hostess formulae from the Enlightenment.....Women it was thought, made the best hostesses, as their presence kept the discussion & society of men in check & at a polite level.....Women as the civilizing factor.....Leave your misogyny at the door.

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn

Keep hearing this bleating about a lack of access to players. From Russell to Robinson to Barrett to Hutchinson; oh what an outrage! As usual, self interest is completely at play here. I just don’t believe that the general public are as desperate to hear AFL players prattle on as the media think they are. Media interviews with players are almost always as boring as bat s**t as over cautious interviewees avoid anything that may end up as click bait.

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Keep hearing this bleating about a lack of access to players. From Russell to Robinson to Barrett to Hutchinson; oh what an outrage! As usual, self interest is completely at play here. I just don’t believe that the general public are as desperate to hear AFL players prattle on as the media think they are. Media interviews with players are almost always as boring as bat s**t as over cautious interviewees avoid anything that may end up as click bait.

As a player, why would any of them want to speak to Der-Wayne anyway? Probably have a more insightful and less cliched conversation with a door knob.

Tugga27

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 19, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast

You're also forgetting Bruce comparing Richmond with the recent Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane sides.
All of this after 1 premiership.

Now Robbo going off in the Tackle about Richmonds top 10
"There was Alex Rance, Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt.

It’s time to add Dylan Grimes, Shane Edwards, Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis, Kane Lambert and Daniel Rioli who would be all ranked elite in their positions. Add an 11th, Jayden Short, if you’re fair dinkum about ranking the best small defenders. He is the player who has made the Tigers a better team this year."

They haven't had success for a while so good on them, but the constant wankfest over Richmond spoils the game.
For me anyway.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Same inane questions, same generic answers. Doesn't matter who the player is, who the media person is. Footy interviews are without doubt the most boring in world sports.

As for accessibility of players, maybe if the media weren't circling overhead like a pack of belligerent buzzards waiting to turn everything that's said in a controversy, the players may be a little more accommodating.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
The latest Herald Sun Superfooty podcast took all of about 17 seconds before Lauren Wood claimed that 'we told you Richmond was good in Saturday's Herald-Sun'. Remembered why I rarely listen to it.

Oaktree

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The footy media sucks. I remember I used to want to have a lengthy pre-game and post-game show to get hyped for the game and afterwards soak in what we just watched.

Now that content is provided, I basically tune in just before the first bounce and tune off just after the final siren.

The proliferation of ex-players being handed jobs at will and the back slapping of co-commentators may be some form of explanation to this.

troybe

Assistant to the Travelling Secretary
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
What's with the need for a comedian, and I use that term very loosely, on the panel on 7's Saturday night footy. First they have Mick Molloy, then Lehmo, then Peter Rowsthorn now just last Saturday night we are subjected to Lawrence Mooney. I really don't know what they add to the Gameday discussion. I'm all for a laugh and a humourous take on proceedings. It just seems like all professionalism as gone out the window.

Back