Is form a myth?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didak Wine

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2009
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Player X kicks 2.3 one week. Not the best form. The next week he kicks 0, his form is worsening. Then a week later he kicks 4 straight. Now he has form. But does he? If his kicking action is exactly the same one week and he scores and the next week he misses, has he ever had form...

Fly was asked yesterday about our form and he said "what is form..." a player lays a tackle here, misses one there, is that due to form? Perhaps effort and intensity drop off and can be redeployed whenever provided the fitness is there.

All this aside, as a young lad when I played soccer, there were games where I felt invincible because every pass and cross I made were bang on. It was something I felt before a match kicking the ball around I felt I was in a zone and I was kicking the ball sweetly. I felt i was not so much in form but blessed. Other games I'd spray a pass, miss kick the ball etc and feel like the bang average player I am/was. I don't think that is about form.

AFL is a brutal game. I once met Angelo Lekkas' old man and he said to me, I kept telling Angelo to look after himself cause he was gonna get killed the way he played, then he got his long term deal and he started to take his advice.

We have a team of dedicated passionate players who can perform miracles. It's in our locker to smash any team up. It's in our form bag if you like. Back em in. Bring on September.

Form is not a myth. I reckon it’s more of a mindset. In form teams are high on confidence and belief. They’re hungry to win. This is Carlton’s past two months. They are the definition of an in form team.

Out of form teams are lacking those things. That’s currently us.

Don’t think stats are the be all and end all to measure performance but trends in those stats can show a drop in form.

Our stats are concerning now and not anomalies either. They’re now trends.

I’m not a fan of the cliche lip service comments at Fly’s pressers. It’s wearing thin on me now and does not address the issues at hand.

Form is not a myth. I reckon it’s more of a mindset. In form teams are high on confidence and belief. They’re hungry to win. This is Carlton’s past two months. They are the definition of an in form team.

Don’t think stats are the be all and end all to measure performance but trends in those stats can show a drop in form.

I’m not a fan of the cliche lip service comments at Fly’s pressers. It’s wearing thin on me now and does not address the issues at hand.
Why can't we defend kick outs?

When you consider that we had our 2 best and fastest midfielders out, I'd say form is a myth. We kicked 100pts last night and only lost by 4 goals. The whole build up to the game this week seemed to be one where we didn't seem to be too concerned if we won or lost

I agree with your post, but I don’t agree with your last paragraph. No coach owes anybody insights into their problems or solutions in a press conference. Why would he want to air that for all to hear?

We have the mindset. This team has proved it can turn it on. Anyone complaining or doubting that these guys can bring it are really just wanting to see it all the time. If you wantt to see it all the time in September it needs to look how it looks now in august? Maybe?

I've rewatched the carlton game 2 times now. I dont fear them

When you consider that we had our 2 best and fastest midfielders out, I'd say form is a myth. We kicked 100pts last night and only lost by 4 goals. The whole build up to the game this week seemed to be one where we didn't seem to be too concerned if we won or lost
They won't be concerned about the result, but they'll be concerned about how easily Brisbane sliced through when exiting defence. It's been the big issue the past month or two, which looked like we'd adjusted against the Cats, but we got torn apart again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't be concerned about the result, but they'll be concerned about how easily Brisbane sliced through when exiting defence. It's been the big issue the past month or two, which looked like we'd adjusted against the Cats, but we got torn apart again.
I'ts going to be hard for Fly to change many things because if he does, he's more or less saying to the players that everything he's been telling them all year isn't working. That would have an even bigger negative effect. We showed against Geelong that we are still capable. It's going to be interesting to see how Fly adjusts to this

While I agree that form can lead to increased confidence, belief and hunger. I don't think this applies to us.

Our form is down, but no one at the club seems phased or worried about it, and I certainly am not either. We have built confidence, belief, and hunger to succeed over a longer period of time. We have the runs on the board and the players have trusted and bought into the system all year.

The mindset is in self preservation mode. The form line is irrelevant

Last edited:
While I agree that form can lead to increased confidence, belief and hunger. I don't think this applies to us.

Our form is down, but no one at the club seems phased or worried about it, and I certainly am not either. We have built confidence, belief, and hunger to succeed over a long period of time. We have the runs on the board and the players have trusted and bought into the system all year.

The mindset is in self preservation mode. The form line is irrelevant
Self preservation mode 100%. It’s just been irrelevant really to win for ladder position for a number of weeks now.
Last week mattered. We sealed top two. That does give me some hope that we can turn it on still when needed.

Even when Gary Lyon said last night "no team that has lost 4 of their last 8 in the last 10 years has won the gf" his head was wobbling and you could see he didn't want to say it but they had to come up with something. Johnno Brown and bucks laughed it off. We play a taxing game when we win. That's our style. It takes it out of you. So wtf does everyone want, their not bots.

They have beaten us 6 times straight.

Most the outs played earlier in the season vs us too.

Think people aren't giving Brisbane enough credit nor realising that they have become a bit of bogey team for this side.

I just hope it's not a 2011 repeat were we beat everyone bar Geelong and although we were capable of beating them it repeated in the GF.
Through the year people were also making g excuses for those 2 losses in HnA vs them.

Last edited:
They have beaten us 6 times straight.

Most the outs played earlier in the season vs us too.

Think people aren't giving Brisbane enough credit nor realising that they have become a bit of body team for this side.

I just hope it's not a 2011 repeat were we beat everyone bar Geelong and although we were capable of beating them it repeated in the GF.
Through the year people were also making g excuses for those 2 losses in HnA vs them.
Let's see them at the MCG. How's their record lately there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back