FTA-TV Is FTA streaming a threat to streaming services?

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
In the 2000s we got digital TV channels, and that was good for a while before it got ruined a bit with boring mainstream programming and ads. In the early days you could watch weird stuff like old AFL games on 7TWO, or they'd play 5 episodes of the Sopranos in a row, or a bunch of ALeague Women's games.

Now we have TV streaming for interesting viewing. It excelled during the Olympics when they showed all the sports on multiple channels, and these days they show FFA Cup games that they wouldn't really put on TV. They probably have way more TV shows than Netflix or STAN or any of those services. The downside of course is ads.

SBS has a bunch of very good movies, like the Godfather series. Channel 7 are now adding movies, although they're only up for a limited time. Right now you can watch that Knives Out movie on 7plus for example, and I think they have Spider-man 2, T3, etc. But mostly it's TV movies. So the streaming services still have way more, and better, movies. But that may change.

I unsubscribed from streaming services because the content wasn't fresh enough, often movies from the 90s would be trending probably because nothing else was on. I also felt that most of the highly rated shows like Ted Bundy Tapes, or Tiger King, or Squid Game were mostly hype and filler. Not truly thought provoking series, but exploitation shows that generate chatter for other reasons.

So I'm done with paying for streaming until maybe it gets better. In the meantime I'm enjoying FTA streams from time to time.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I haven’t looked at FTA in years and only use it to watch the GF tbh

last time I had a quick look at channel 7 the movies and the shows didn’t have CC which makes it hard for me as I am hearing impaired so that really limits what I can watch on FTA as it appears to be a common theme across the board.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
I hate the FTA streaming mostly because the commercial stations now bombard you with ads when you try to watch something on them. ABC Iview and SBS are OK. But the others I find really bad, sometimes worse than if you were watching them on FTA TV itself. I remember once trying to watch a show on 9NOW and the advertisement loop was kicking in every 5 minutes. I seriously gave up. I disagree there's not enough new stuff on the streaming services and the shows you mentioned were quality, not fillers. Each to their own, I guess. But the streaming services (IMO) are way better than the FTA TV apps.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I hate the FTA streaming mostly because the commercial stations now bombard you with ads when you try to watch something on them. ABC Iview and SBS are OK. But the others I find really bad, sometimes worse than if you were watching them on FTA TV itself. I remember once trying to watch a show on 9NOW and the advertisement loop was kicking in every 5 minutes. I seriously gave up. I disagree there's not enough new stuff on the streaming services and the shows you mentioned were quality, not fillers. Each to their own, I guess. But the streaming services (IMO) are way better than the FTA TV apps.
You don't want to be interrupted watching a movie. FTA sucks for that reason.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
You don't want to be interrupted watching a movie. FTA sucks for that reason.
And so do the commercial FTA TV streaming apps that put many ads into their content, which was what I was saying. The OP was saying that the FTA TV apps like 7plus, 9Now, and 10Plus are better than Netflix, etc. I just cannot agree with that. Not ever.

Back