Is Gary Ablett Jr cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked really slow tonight with poor decision making. I love little Gazza, but I can't help but wonder if the game has passed him by.

What do you think?
He was playing a lot of inside midfield tonight.
I wonder if the Geelong gameplay suits him.
(Probably not)
Scrappy awefull footy tonight.
Maybe GAJ was snoozing.
I know that I was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I've seen he's still capable of cracking games but Geelong may need to manage him a bit here and there. They've got more than enough options through the midfield to do just that.

He won't return to being the best player in the comp but he's still more than handy even primarily as an outside distributor.

Got nearly all his touches on the half forward flank. Clearly not right last night. BUT less than a month ago he polled 18 out of a possible 20 coaches votes across 2 rounds. Still was almost a big part in stealing the game v the Dogs last week with a fantastic and already forgotten crumbing goal (Taylor choking doesn't make Abletts goal any less impressive).

He is fine. Needs to be managed but he is not finished by any stretch. You have to have a memory longer than 2 weeks.

He’s not going to be a consistent 30+ poss player like he was. He’s going to be a foot soldier most weeks, and be an absolute match winner on occasion.

Until last night he was averaging exactly 30 disposals per game this season. The rest is fairly accurate. Ball in hand, in most games this season he's been our most reliable player. Better skills than Selwood and Dangerfield, and better game sense than Duncan.

Looked really slow tonight with poor decision making. I love little Gazza, but I can't help but wonder if the game has passed him by.

What do you think?

You looking for a job in the AFL media? Base an argument on a week to week performance.

Next week he will get 35 and kick 3 and you'll say he will win the brownlow

I'd be more concerned about the 27 year old Hannebery after tonight.

Regarding Ablett, playing more of an outside role he was always going to be up against it on a dewy night at the tiny SCG.
Good to see you couldn't answer the question without deflecting and potting the opposition.

Regarding GAJ, not cooked, but has reached the stage of his career where he's icing but no longer the cake. You can't build a midfield around him anymore and he's just not the weapon you put most of the work into negating in his team.

Gaz is s**t, always has been his whole career:huh:
Give it a spell, I think the little master has enough runs on the board to have one down night.
He is a gun and it would be a foolish person to write a champion off.
He may need a rest, if he is sore but I have no doubt he has more to offer as the season continues.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back