Is Gary Ablett Jr cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong 2011 > Geelong 2007, won more games, had a better percentage and beat better teams in the finals

League as a whole was weaker in 2011 due to the addition of Gold Coast.

The top 4 in 2011 was easily stronger than in 2007

In 2007 the Bulldogs finished 13th with a 9-12-1 record. In 2011 they finished 10th with a 9-13 record.

In 2007, there were 3 100+ point margins in the H&A season. There were 10 in 2011.

The league was a lot stronger and closer in 2007 than 2011.

The top 4 in 2011 was easily stronger than in 2007
Geelong fans are pretty set on the idea that AFL footy peaked from 2007-2009 and has been steadily weaker ever since

I've tried telling them that the Hawthorn premiership teams from 2013, 2014, 2015 would've beaten our 2008 premiership side by 7 or 8 goals, but they refuse to listen to reason.

They have their heads up their own arses.

In 2007 the Bulldogs finished 13th with a 9-12-1 record. In 2011 they finished 10th with a 9-13 record.

In 2007, there were 3 100+ point margins in the H&A season. There were 10 in 2011.

The top 4 in 2011 was Collingwood who were the reigning premiers, Geelong who were the best team of the last 5 years, Hawthorn who played in the next 4 grand finals and West Coast who really weren't on the level of the other 3, now compared to 2007 you have Geelong the clear best side of the year, a very mediocre Port Adelaide, a West Coast who had imploded by finals and were a non factor dropping out in straight sets, and a even more mediocre North Melbourne

There was only 1 good side in 2007 compared to 3 in 2011

Geelong fans are pretty set on the idea that AFL footy peaked from 2007-2009 and has been steadily weaker ever since

I've tried telling them that the Hawthorn premiership teams from 2013, 2014, 2015 would've beaten our 2008 premiership side by 7 or 8 goals, but they refuse to listen to reason.

They have their heads up their own arses.
Nice melt, this thread is about GAJ so stop derailing it with your Hawthorn nonsense

Good logic, mate...:rolleyes:

If there were more good teams in 2007 (apart from Geelong) then we would've seen a few more 100 point thrashings.
If there were fewer great teams in 2011, then we would've seen fewer 100 point thrashings against the league easybeats

There were definitely some s**t teams down the bottom of the 2011 ladder - but the top teams (Coll, Geel, Haw, WCE) were far stronger than the top 4 teams in 2007 (Geel, Port, WCE, NM). The Hawks finished 5th in 2007 and were pipped for the Top 4 when Port kicked a late goal against us in Tassie in Round 20. The Hawks were nothing special that year. Almost laughable to think we were the 5th best team in the comp.

Last edited:
Nice melt, this thread is about GAJ so stop derailing it with your Hawthorn nonsense
I'm just adding my opinion to the discussion on this page which centred around the relative strengths of the AFL in 2007 and 2011

All that "nice melt" crap belongs in that embarrassing Bay 13 House Of Cucks thread where you spend half your life

Got nearly all his touches on the half forward flank. Clearly not right last night. BUT less than a month ago he polled 18 out of a possible 20 coaches votes across 2 rounds. Still was almost a big part in stealing the game v the Dogs last week with a fantastic and already forgotten crumbing goal (Taylor choking doesn't make Abletts goal any less impressive).

He is fine. Needs to be managed but he is not finished by any stretch. You have to have a memory longer than 2 weeks.

Ablett also had 30 touches with maybe three or four of them actually having any impact.

I'm just adding my opinion to the discussion on this page which centred around the relative strengths of the AFL in 2007 and 2011

All that "nice melt" crap belongs in that embarrassing Bay 13 House Of Cucks thread where you spend half your life
#rentfree

Good logic, mate...:rolleyes:

If there were more good teams in 2007 (apart from Geelong) then we would've seen a few more 100 point thrashings.
If there were fewer great teams in 2011, then we would've seen fewer 100 point thrashings against the league easybeats

There were definitely some s**t teams down the bottom of the 2011 ladder - but the top teams (Coll, Geel, Haw, WCE) were far stronger than the top 4 teams in 2007 (Geel, Port, WCE, NM). The Hawks finished 5th in 2007 and were pipped for the Top 4 when Port kicked a late goal against us in Tassie in Round 20. The Hawks were nothing special that year. Almost laughable to think we were the 5th best team in the comp.

Actually, the fact there were less 100 point thrashings in 2007 mean there were more good teams as more teams were competitive.

The teams in the top 4 in 2011 looked stronger as the rest of the league was weak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong 2011 > Geelong 2007, won more games, had a better percentage and beat better teams in the finals

I tend to agree. I think the 2011 team was amazing and such a great finals series. Grand final was greet as well.

I do tend to think Geelongs best team though was 2009 but I know many don’t agree with me on that. Just in term of the players and how lesser known such as rookie and brynes actually had an impact. Both Geelong saints games that season were memorable in different ways

I tend to agree. I think the 2011 team was amazing and such a great finals series. Grand final was greet as well.

I do tend to think Geelongs best team though was 2009 but I know many don’t agree with me on that. Just in term of the players and how lesser known such as rookie and brynes actually had an impact. Both Geelong saints games that season were memorable in different ways
While all three of Geelong's sides of that era where great I would rate them as 2011>2007>2009

Clearly needs to be managed (was very average vs Essendon) but has had some great games this season too. Not finished, just getting on. Jeez bigfooty has a short memory.

He is not cooked, but he is not effective running around the back half of the ground. He doesn't have the run or a penetrating kick. Best to keep him in the clearances and forward as much as possible.

Not sure what I was watching then. He was the cleanest player out there in the last quarter IMO. Still shrugs players off, and thinks quicker than everybody else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back