Is Gary Rohan the worst finals player of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The decision to trade him to Geelong was one of the great moves. It strengthened the Bloods list and weakened that of a rival. The relief was palpable among our fans.
It was a crazy move, one that I can’t fathom how the majority of fans knew it would play out but the Geelong hierarchy didn’t. You’re not going to be successful having role players who are inconsistent as *.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yep was going to say the same thing. Additionally, he has absolutely zero defensive game, he’s be a liability down back. Best thing Geelong could do is delist him ASAP.

Such a waste of good attributes. Fast, good kick, good mark. Perfect half back. But if he struggles to find it and defend then yeah.. not sure how it’ll work.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This guy is legitimately a gun. He has the attributes to be an amazing forward, and generally is...

throughout the H&A season. In finals he wets the bed harder than anybody I've ever seen. It's truly amazing.

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Leon Davis has to be in the conversation.. Was almost All Australian, but is poor performance in repeated finals series led to Collingwood delisting him well before he was finished..

Such a waste of good attributes. Fast, good kick, good mark. Perfect half back. But if he struggles to find it and defend then yeah.. not sure how it’ll work.

Sydney tried him at Half back, it goes exactly like it goes now, does sweet stuff all 90% of the game and ends up fewer than 10 possessions.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sydney tried him at Half back, it goes exactly like it goes now, does sweet stuff all 90% of the game and ends up fewer than 10 possessions.

It is the problem with Rohan. He is really fast, he is a strong overhead mark, he is a very good field kick and goal kick, he is a good decision maker when he has the ball. When you consider all this he should be a very good player, he has all the tools he needs to be a very good player but there is one thing he doesn't have that makes all his positive attributes almost pointless and that is he can't find the ball, he has no natural instincts on where he needs to be to find the ball.

Rohan has more natural talent than 95% of AFL players but when he does not have the ball he is completely headless.

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I genuinely feel like people, when discussing his poor finals performances, overrate his performances during the H&A season. He isn't a gun, he is just a good, AFL standard player.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leon Davis has to be in the conversation.. Was almost All Australian, but is poor performance in repeated finals series led to Collingwood delisting him well before he was finished..
Being fair to Leon, he left the club to go home to WA, but the WA clubs couldn’t fit him. His best year at Collingwood was his last.

Some terrible finals performances but some ok ones. Rohan has his measure comfortably at this stage.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I genuinely feel like people, when discussing his poor finals performances, overrate his performances during the H&A season. He isn't a gun, he is just a good, AFL standard player.
Also worth remembering that his best home and away performances come when the team is functioning as it’s supposed to across the middle and the forward line. He’s never going to be that guy who stands up and wins a game off his own bat when those around him are struggling

ItsAllAboutMe

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Poor mana Toby Greene

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
How in hell does anyone know that? Seriously, how? Gary Ablett Jr after the same amount of games had shown the following:

- that he had flashes of talent
- that he was on the lazy side of underachieving
- that he was a small forward

He became arguably the best pure midfielder in history.
Tom Hawkins was so unable to prove himself as a forward that by his third and fourth seasons he was being groomed as a hybrid forward ruckman. He’s a 4 time all Australian key forward on the edge of 700 goals.

Do I think Zac Guthrie of all people is going to become a superstar? No, I do not. But I and plenty of others thought his brother was a depth midfielder at best and that was after a lot more games than what Zac has played. Last year he was all Australian and this year he topped our Brownlow count by the length of the Flemington straight.

Gary Ablett junior showed more in his first two seasons than Zac Guthrie ever has. That's not a knock on Guthrie either but it's the reality. Not remotely the same comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Ablett junior showed more in his first two seasons than Zac Guthrie ever has. That's not a knock on Guthrie either but it's the reality. Not remotely the same comparison.

Why does every analogy or comparison have to have someone come along and say ‘he’s never going to be like so and so’

Of course he’s not going to be Gary Ablett. The point is that Gary Ablett didn’t show a hint early on of what he would become.

Why don’t other players get the same grace? There are 700 or so listed players in the AFL. Not sure how many of them reached their peak in their first 2-3 seasons but I’m pretty sure most of the serviceable or better players were not at or near their best that early

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Why does every analogy or comparison have to have someone come along and say ‘he’s never going to be like so and so’

Of course he’s not going to be Gary Ablett. The point is that Gary Ablett didn’t show a hint early on of what he would become.

Why don’t other players get the same grace? There are 700 or so listed players in the AFL. Not sure how many of them reached their peak in their first 2-3 seasons but I’m pretty sure most of the serviceable or better players were not at or near their best that early

Nice U-turn you've done there. You brought Ablett into it, not me. The point was Ablett was immediately a very promising young player. There was never a point where we wondered why he was getting games.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Nice U-turn you've done there. You brought Ablett into it, not me. The point was Ablett was immediately a very promising young player. There was never a point where we wondered why he was getting games.

What u turn? What does that even mean?

How intellectually young do you need to be to NOT understand an analogy?

‘Oh hes mentioned Gary Ablett so he obviously thinks Zac Guthrie is going to be the next Gary Ablett and this is his method of proving it.’

* me dead you can be thick sometimes.

Is.

My.

Point.

Incorrect.

Or.

Not.

Was Gary Ablett’s early career and indication of exactly what he would become? Answer the *en question

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
What u turn? What does that even mean?

How intellectually young do you need to be to NOT understand an analogy?

‘Oh hes mentioned Gary Ablett so he obviously thinks Zac Guthrie is going to be the next Gary Ablett and this is his method of proving it.’

fu** me dead you can be thick sometimes.

Is.

My.

Point.

Incorrect.

Or.

Not.

Was Gary Ablett’s early career and indication of exactly what he would become? Answer the fu**en question

I like it when posters are polite.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I like it when posters are polite.

Why does that bother you? It’s ok for you to refute a point no one has even made and then accuse them of doing a u turn (from what, exactly? Still trying to work that one out).

Answer the question.

Does using an analogy involving Gary Ablett mean the person using the analogy is saying that the person being compared to him is going to become Gary Ablett? Did ablett’s early career indicate what he would turn into it?

Stop wanking around the subject and answer

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Why does that bother you? It’s ok for you to refute a point no one has even made and then accuse them of doing a u turn (from what, exactly? Still trying to work that one out).

Answer the question.

Does using an analogy involving Gary Ablett mean the person using the analogy is saying that the person being compared to him is going to become Gary Ablett? Did ablett’s early career indicate what he would turn into it?

Stop wanking around the subject and answer

Nah I don't take orders. Be polite and I'm to happy to oblige.

You’re right he should be executed on site and told he has no right to a contract. More quality from you.
Not sure why you engage a clueless contributor but whatever lol.

As for Rohan. By-product of our major finals failure in recent years. Midfield repeatedly getting obliterated, Hawkins is tarred with the bad finals brush but often the supply is hap-hazard or limited in our recent finals campaigns so harsh to blame the forwards.

Pick 61 for his output has been a success. 80+ goals in 3 seasons for a junk pick.
Highly unlikely to get that with whatever 18yo gets drafted there most seasons.

Back