Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by MotleyLemon, Dec 8, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. blue harvest

blue harvest Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Which is about 10% of the total.
    And that minor contribution was possible due to the extremely generous tax payer subsidised stadium deal they have which means they make good profits for crowds less than 30k. The stadium is a gift from the taxpayer, I personally don't have a problem with it, I like to see areas going through financial difficulties get some help. What I do have a problem with is people not acknowledging this help and instead making out like they are being ripped off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Ricky Vaughn

Ricky Vaughn Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The main thing I always take away from these arguments is the time it takes to get from Melbourne to Geelong.

Depending on what angle they want to argue, people seem to either travel at 150km/h up the Highway, or about 65.

3. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    And that latter group always sit in the middle lane.

4. Ricky Vaughn

Ricky Vaughn Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Horrible people.

5. hawkman

hawkman Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    The only reason we are selling our home games is because those were the ones were being played at Etihad. If we had a guarantee of 11 home games at the MCG, I doubt we would be playing in Tassie

6. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    And so Geelong has to play them in your place. I'm glad someone is making money out of doing it.

RedVest4 likes this.
  7. RedVest4

RedVest4 Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Luke Hodge is the Greatest Captain in AFL history
    Geez that’d be nice, Id love for us to sell our 2 home games somewhere else as opposed to playing it Etihad due to clubs like Hawthorn selling home games for a profit.

8. hawkman

hawkman Brownlow Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tottenham Hotspur
    And we still forced to play home games there occasionally.

At least you haven't been forced to move all your home games out of your home ground as we were with Waverley

9. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    Point me to a spot in the rules that a) says grounds have to have be the same as each other b) that the ground dimensions contravene the leagues rules and c) how it is any different to Adelaide Oval or Subiaco which are also long and narrow.

RedVest4 likes this.
  10. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    No we won't...
    We'll get a forfeit after the silver spooners get lost #longtimebetweendrinks

11. RedVest4

Geelong
    Other teams:
    At least when you’re forced to play there it is a home game, the least the AFL could do when we are forced to play there is let us play an interstate side, but no, we play a home game against a team located in that city that isn’t the city we are located in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. NetworkNerd

NetworkNerd Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    AFL Member so all clubs I guess.
    That's fair.

Ideal - 11 games at Simmonds per year.
    Fair - 9 games at Simmonds and 2 interstate sides at Etihad or MCG

But in return the AFL needs to set clear rules regarding finals at Etihad/Simmonds - Clearly defined rules such as in the situation of 4 finals in Melbourne, Etihad/Simmonds stadium tenants have the option and can only host a final against an interstate side.

Just be clear about it AFL.

13. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Wow, some Geelong posters still being so obtuse only looking at one side of the equation even though I've explained it a couple of times. Just brush off the taxpayer subsidy truth because it doesn't suit your rant. Taxpayers are the reason your club hasn't gone bust, just be grateful for your cushy taxpayer funded profits instead of playing the victim.

14. STPer18

STPer18 Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    [​IMG]

Jeff76, BotsMaster and RedVest4 like this.
  15. Mad_Hatter

Mad_Hatter Premiership Player

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Says a hawks poster...
    Did you pay for the 'G?
    Waverley?
    Tassie?
    Or did the tax payer fund all of those stadiums?
    I don't recall hearing about the hawks footing any part of any development on any of the stadiums they have called home grounds.
    On top of not having to pay a single cent you STILL almost merged with another club...

JohnZ and RedVest4 like this.
  16. RedVest4

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Nah, fair would be to allow us to play all 11 home games at KP and all finals there bar the GF. GWS are allowed the same luxury with a much smaller ground capacity...
    Tasmania is the reason your club hasent gone bust or merged with Melbourne.

If only Geelong had the same opportunity to sell 4 home games a year to make a profit...

17. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Go back and read my posts. It's about how much you have to pay to play there. There's a reason Geelong make a truckload with a 27k crowd, it's not magic. Maybe you have just misunderstood it and aren't one of the obtuse ones, they know who they are.

18. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    It's *35,000, I can't take your argument seriously if you keep spouting obviously wrong facts.

19. King Brown

King Brown Club Legend

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yeah its a bit people in glass houses with Hawthorn fans

They have a financial basket case of a state government sponsor them. Right there on the jumper it says "TASMANIA". Dozens of towns in Tasmania have to boil their drinking water and Hawks have had to scam money out of the dumb politicians there to stay viable.

20. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    You're slowly understanding it. Yes Tassie has helped stop us going bust, it's all about money, that's why we play there. I'm not having a go at the Cats, but your taxpayer stadium deal has stopped you going bust, that's why you need to accept the scheduling of some of your games elsewhere. Remove that taxpayer subsidy and you make very little profit at home, you would definitely need to sell games like we do to stay afloat.

21. RedVest4

Geelong
    Other teams:
    And I’d be fine with that... Id rather have the deal Hawthorn have where they get 11 true home games...

22. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    You make a truck load with a 27k crowd, it's just an example, I think we pulled 27k to the G recently and would make next to nothing from it.

I wasn't claiming that is the capacity of the ground, I know the place quite well.

23. STPer18

STPer18 Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    It's not about Hawthorn though. It's about Geelong getting home games played in Geelong. Because Geelong =/= Melbourne. Maybe we can get 7 home games at Kardinia Park, then sell the remaining 4 games to Waurn Ponds and have the AFL pay us money for playing over there. It's ludicrous. Melbourne teams are losing their identity, and one of the few Victorian clubs who actually wants to remain tied to the region it is named after is being forced to compensate for the lot of them.

RedVest4 likes this.
  24. blue harvest

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    I'm not sure it would be enough though relying on just 4 games for profit. We at least make some good money from our big games at the G on top of our Tassie money.

25. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    How far from Melbourne do you think it would take for Melbourne supporters to get off the high horse and deem it far enough away that the club shouldn't play home games in Melbourne? Colac? Warnnambool? Mt. Gambier?