Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by MotleyLemon, Dec 8, 2015.

Put it out there
  1. BTs Nana

BTs Nana All Australian

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Hilarious that Richmond fans are talking about other clubs going bust - oh how they quickly forget their own history.

Boxhead_31 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. HumanMeatball

HumanMeatball Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Bombers
    When adelade is one of if not the skinniest grounds in the aflto begin with, another 6 meters is massive. A 26 meter difference to the mcg isn’t acceptable

Mal12 and sprockets like this.
  3. STPer18

STPer18 Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    According to you maybe, but we are going to get the 9 games down here at least next year.

JohnZ likes this.
  4. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Saltier than the Dead Sea. You'd think after winning the flag you could take a week off and enjoy it.

5. BK Eaglesfan

BK Eaglesfan Premiership Player

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Personally when the aim of footy is to get the ball from the middle of the ground through the goals at one end, I’d be far more concerned about the SCG being 20 metres shorter than some grounds (almost 20 to the MCG). Little wonder Sydney have always recruited for top shelf key forwards who can clunk that first kick out of the centre that becomes a deep entry inside 50.

6. Catloundra

Catloundra Rookie

Geelong
    Other teams:
    City and Barca
    Thanks for that information, I did not know that specific Collingwood team obligation.

My belief still is that it is the annual draw and its unfairness for all teams, that is the bigger issue. My comparison that the Pies played 14 games (9 home, 5 away) in 2017 at their preferred #1 ground, whereas in 2018 the Cats may only play 7 or 8 games at their nominated #1 preferred ground, was 1 v 2 comparison, on one aspect off the draw.

...I'm imagining a spot in the AFL finals hinging on a lucky hat draw, between C.Scott and N.Buckley, three tickets are in the hat, one ticket only is a winner. Bucks is allowed to draw two tickets, whereas Scott can only daw one. If this occurred annually, Buckley would be far more likely to gain the winning final ticket, most years. It is a complex challenge for sure, but worth improving on.

This unfairness off the draw issue is not due to Collingwood, Geelong, or any of the teams, it is due to the determinations off the governing organization, past decisions and AFL agreements, as you have assisted to clarify.

Should the AFL prioritize the games promotion and revenue, over equality or be trying to juggle these?

If equality is not the priority of the draw in 2018, the outcome may result in a grossly unfair draw.

I'd love a fairer draw and a more even playing field for all teams.

BK Eaglesfan likes this.
  7. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I agree 100%

In 2017 Collingwood played 14 games at the MCG and 3 at Etihad. Essendon played 7 at the MCG and 9 at Etihad. Excluding the clubs who sell home games, Saints, Carlton, Richmond also played ~16 games each between the MCG and Etihad. Geelong isn't asking for 16 games at Kardinia Park, just the 11 it has the right to ask for.

Catloundra and Bounce like this.
  8. yodellinhank

yodellinhank Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    This is the issue. The standard of the AFL has outgrown the standard of the stadium.
    Collingwood and richmond don't have to -because their city is appropriate to host those matches. Geelong hasn't even somewhere appropriate enough to hold its own B&F function, they had to go to Melbourne for that as well.

Half Forward likes this.
  9. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The stadium is being progressively upgraded. There is currently one stand not up to the "standard" of the AFL. It will be gone by the end of the decade.

10. sprockets

sprockets Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    Funny that the whining is so strong this year compared with other years, but anyway... Geelong played 5 games at the MCG during H&A this season, which obviously should have given them good experience come finals time of how the ground should be played. We have interstate team supporters now screaming out for MCG games so they can get that same experience. Whatever the AFL does, they can't win and people will whine. It seems to be the way of the world these days.

The most simple answer to the problem is to just stop whining.

Half Forward likes this.
  11. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Even when it's fully completed the facility isn't up to the standard of hosting quality AFL games. From what I've seen it seems there was a fair rort going on considering how much has been spent on it. Lack of facilities, like function spaces, dining, bars and corporate areas. This has been highlighted most recently by the fact the club can't even host its own social events there or even in the town itself.

Now they're "forming a committee" (hello long lunches, tax payer plz) to work out how to better utilise the venue, aka a bunch of seats. Rort.

That's not even to mention the tens of thousands of fans that'd be turned away from attending were geelong to host more games.

Half Forward likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Club has had the B&F at Crown as long as I can remember. Maybe there's a contract we don't know about? This year in the new Brownlow Stand a massive function room that could fit 1000 people was added, and there are plenty of facilities, dining, bar and corporate areas except in the Terrace which is going by the end of the decade. Until you come down and actually see the ground yourself, it's a little hard to be making all of these bold claims and claim any authority.

13. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The times I've been i would describe the match day experience as premium state league level. It's not meant as a shot at the club BTW, but the stadium management and council etc. I think the club deserves better.

In a perfect world i'd love to be one of 45k getting to a game early, sitting on a terrace eating Otways suckling pig matched with scotchmans hill sav blanc, watching the sun go down over the western stand as the bulldogs fans start rolling in on adequate public transport and from undercover off street parking, for one of their 3 or so purchased home games against interstate sides...

Instead what's on offer is rotten routleys rancid pies, a beer shed and a glut of people waiting at the wrong train station as services are forced to terminate and set down well before the main ground, then cram onto one of the 2 trains that go back north after the game, with no time to wind down at a bar aorfterwards or have a decent hotel to stay at or secure parking where you aren't going to be the victim of vandalism/theft by some bogan who can't handle his CUB "import beer"...

Half Forward likes this.
  14. sprockets

sprockets Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond
    So you're suggesting that if it's always been held there and there's a contract in place it's ok to hold it at Crown? That's a bit like finals at the MCG isn't it?

Half Forward and yodellinhank like this.
  15. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    *rant continues*

Instead we get another ******* committee eating all the western region wagyu and Meredith goat cheese washed down with bellarine wines on our coin to come up with "maybe the cats should be entitled to more home games?"

Instead of providing a premiuim facility that commands an a league team, a big bash presence, even something outside the box like a warriors nrl game - there are loads of NZ citizens in the nearby city of wyndham (until Dutton finishes with em) who could all be brought down to spend their money in our town, creating jobs etc
    *trails off again*

16. Deep

Deep I'm searching for something that I can't reach

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC
    How about force Geelong to play their home games in Wagga

17. RedVest4

RedVest4 Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Luke Hodge is the Greatest Captain in AFL history
    Lol coming from the supporter who’s club had every possible advantage this year

18. Sttew

Sttew Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    What exactly have you seen, do tell?

19. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    MCG finals contract states 2 Week 1 to 3 finals a year calculated as 10 finals in a 5 year rolling period, and each GF to be played there until 2037. AFL hasn't and can't break this contract. With Geelong and Richmond finishing top 4, that guaranteed the MCG two finals involving Richmond, hence no reason contractually why the Sydney MCG final, which drew a small crowd filled with neutrals, could not have been played at the MCG.

20. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Went to a cats-crows game couple years ago, getting tickets/motivation to attempt to get tickets is a big turn off, which is another gripe going against the case for matches down here.

Go to the annual vfl praccy game between our clubs, and been to an AFL praccy b/w dogs and bombers way back when, every so often go to the GFL finals and local auskick family events.

Have cat fan members of varying levels and often see/hear them share their experiences - from members of the veggie patch, to Peroni bar attendees, right up to a work colleague who tells me all about the (supposed) "corporate" experience/presidents functions they attend as their spouse is on the committee of the KP trust.

21. yodellinhank

Essendon
    Other teams:
    The current contract is a renegotiation of the old, essentially broken, contract where a prelim had to be held at the MCC.

22. JohnZ

JohnZ Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    As far as I'm aware, it's still valid, and unless the AFL gives the MCC something in return, it won't change anytime soon

yodellinhank likes this.
  23. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Other teams:
    The exchange for the loss of guaranteed prelims was a guarantee for 14 Collingwood Home and Away matches each year at the MCG.

24. Great8

Great8 Norm Smith Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Manchester United, Juventus,
    I've always said that I'd be more than happy for you to play all 11 home games down there on the proviso your memberships rights in Melbourne are terminated and you are treated like a interstate side. No more 18 game H&A memberships that allow entry to away games in Melbourne.
    You would also need to relinquish Easter Monday football

Heisenberg_ and Half Forward like this.
  25. Half Forward

Half Forward Premium Gold

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Rovers, Napoli, MVFC, LA LAKERS
    to keep deluded cats fans honest perhaps?

sprockets likes this.