Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope, just not as affordable as the average home games and with less available tickets too. Formal events are very different to footy games and I have no issue with the Carji being held outside of Geelong.
Why don't you have an issue with it? Why hold it in Melbourne instead of supporting the local economy? I mean, it's not like opposition supporters from somewhere else in the country will be going. Surely you have the facilities there?

Why don't you have an issue with it? Why hold it in Melbourne instead of supporting the local economy? I mean, it's not like opposition supporters from somewhere else in the country will be going. Surely you have the facilities there?
It's a yearly award ceremony with only a couple of hundred tickets available. It's clearly doesn't have the same economic impact as 11 games where more than 30,000 (300,000 + a year) people can attend. And it's the number 1 reason supporters follow clubs, they wanna watch their teams play.

Award ceremonies are not for every footy supporter anyway, they're an indulgence organised to celebrate players. I don't have much interest in it besides knowing who won.

Last edited:

Hey pot meet kettle, you're the one throwing irrelevancy, GFC are impotent this, crap that with that with no substantiation of fact or missing the point of who are the decision makers and ones in control....:rolleyes:

Just because you don't like me pinting out that your club is all talk, no action on this topic doesn't make it irrelevant.

But feel free to stay a sheep, and following the blatant PR spin they feed you because you don't like to look at the truth.

It's a yearly award ceremony with only a couple of hundred tickets available. It's clearly doesn't have the same economic impact as 11 games where more than 30,000 (300,000 + a year) people can attend. And it's the number 1 reason supporters follow clubs, they wanna watch their teams play.

Award ceremonies are not for every footy supporter anyway, they're an indulgence organised to celebrate players. I don't have much interest in it besides knowing who won.

So surely holding games at bigger grounds would be a good thing, right?

Yes but you lot are still ignoring the reasons behind this.
You make a truck load because you are playing in a taxpayer owned stadium and that owner (the taxpayer) basically lets you play there for free.
Other Melbourne clubs such as mine also play in a taxpayer owned stadium but the owner (the taxpayer) demands a good return, hence why a low crowd at the G makes bugger all money.
The Etihad tenants were until recently playing in a privately owned stadium which demanded a high rate of return which meant bugger all profit even for good crowds.

It's not magic beans that creates those profits at Simonds stadium, it's taxpayer subsidies.
That is why the Cats have to share the burden of playing home games elsewhere, other clubs don't get those subsidies at their home ground and so have to do things like sell home games to Tassie to make a buck.

Open your eyes Cats. The taxpayer is keeping you afloat, I'm happy for that to continue, I want a prosperous GFC and Geelong City, but please don't take all that taxpayer help and then complain that you are somehow being ripped off.
100% correct. And I would add. Geelong also have a lot of Melbourne based members so always like to occasionally have the b&f in Melbourne and a few games a year there too.

100% correct. And I would add. Geelong also have a lot of Melbourne based members so always like to occasionally have the b&f in Melbourne and a few games a year there too.
We have had B&F in Melbournefor as long as I remember. There is no venue in Geelong like the Crown Ballroom

Yes but you lot are still ignoring the reasons behind this.
You make a truck load because you are playing in a taxpayer owned stadium and that owner (the taxpayer) basically lets you play there for free.
Other Melbourne clubs such as mine also play in a taxpayer owned stadium but the owner (the taxpayer) demands a good return, hence why a low crowd at the G makes bugger all money.
The Etihad tenants were until recently playing in a privately owned stadium which demanded a high rate of return which meant bugger all profit even for good crowds.

It's not magic beans that creates those profits at Simonds stadium, it's taxpayer subsidies.
That is why the Cats have to share the burden of playing home games elsewhere, other clubs don't get those subsidies at their home ground and so have to do things like sell home games to Tassie to make a buck.

Open your eyes Cats. The taxpayer is keeping you afloat, I'm happy for that to continue, I want a prosperous GFC and Geelong City, but please don't take all that taxpayer help and then complain that you are somehow being ripped off.
I'd be happy with 9 home games at Geelong, and I'm sure that's what GFC really wants. That was the whole idea of refurbishing the stadium.

Geelong had the balls to stand firm when the AFL tried to make Docklands its home stadium many years ago. One by one every Melbourne club (bar Richmond and Melbourne) did away with their suburban home grounds. That is the real issue

So surely holding games at bigger grounds would be a good thing, right?

There's approximately 200,000 people living in and around the Greater Geelong region. A stadium that will have a capacity of 40,000 is more than enough to cater for the football supporters living there.

Every club in Victoria have home games played outside their home stadium.

No one like it. Richmond fans hate it but it is what it is. It's not just the Cats.

Melbourne has 2 stadiums (Docklands and MCG) available for games scheduled for Melbourne based club whilst Geelong has just the 1 (KP). I don't see why bad deals some Melbourne clubs signed with the Docklands' owners has anything to do with a club based in a different part of the state and why Geelong should be roped in to fulfill their demands.

Non-Geelong fans complain that playing at KP is a big disadvantage to them but in the same breath argue that Geelong playing at venues based in Melbourne is more or less neutral ground. :drunk:

Last edited:
There's approximately 200,000 people living in and around the Greater Geelong region. A stadium that will have a capacity of 40,000 is more than enough to cater for the football supporters living there.

Melbourne has 2 stadiums (Docklands and MCG) available for games scheduled for Melbourne based club whilst Geelong has just the 1 (KP). I don't see why bad deals some Melbourne clubs signed with the Docklands' owners has anything to do with a club based in a different part of the state and why Geelong should be roped in to fulfill their demands.

Non-Geelong fans complain that playing at KP is a big disadvantage to them but in the same breath argue that Geelong playing at venues based in Melbourne is more or less neutral ground. :drunk:
The complaints are based on not being able to get tickets so the crowd numbers are too one sided which influences umpires. But going to the Melbourne grounds there is always availability and crowds are less one sided. Geelong is not very far from Melbourne so it's not a true 'regional' city so it's easy for fans to travel either way so 40,000 may not be enough?

The complaints are based on not being able to get tickets so the crowd numbers are too one sided which influences umpires. But going to the Melbourne grounds there is always availability and crowds are less one sided. Geelong is not very far from Melbourne so it's not a true 'regional' city so it's easy for fans to travel either way so 40,000 may not be enough?
Whenever Geelong plays in Melbourne the support is one sided, just look at the Richmond QF. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I care. He makes a valid point. If Geelong footy club insult Geelong by holding a function in another city why are they moaning about playing there?

Its a valid point mate.

Agreed, it's an excellent point.

I believe if any of our players have spent more than a single night within 20kms of the MCG, we need to play every home game there.

It's not just the clubs who signed deals signed deals to play at Etihad who have to play there.

Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Melbourne all have the MCG as a home ground and have to play a home game at Etihad, so it's not uncommon for Victorian clubs to need to do this.

It doesn't invalidate the issue the Geelong supporters have though. The point is still correct, its wrong that the AFL makes other clubs play there whilst it's tenants like North, Bulldogs, Saints on occasion are able to sell their games.

But if I'm those clubs, I'd point out that other teams are able to sell games, so they shouldn't miss out just because the AFL has had a shitty stadium deal.

The problems Geelong supporters are feeling are fair, but you aren't the only ones affected

We have had B&F in Melbournefor as long as I remember. There is no venue in Geelong like the Crown Ballroom
Just like the GF has been played in Melbourne for as long as you can remember and there's no venue in Geelong like the MCG.

Geelong werent "roped in". Geelong havent played all their games at Kardinia Park since 1970. And only one final ever - in 2013

So Geelong's double ups for next year are apparently Richmond, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Gold Coast.

Given the suggestion that we will get 9 games at KP, will it be Richmond coming to KP again, along with perhaps Carlton? You'd think we'll have a home game against Hawthorn at G, and perhaps this year we'll get the Country Game as our home game there vs Essendon, given they've had it the last two years.

Is 9 home games at KP too much to ask, especially when Fremantle get 13 games at the new Perth stadium?

So Geelong's double ups for next year are apparently Richmond, Sydney, Hawthorn, Melbourne and Gold Coast.

Given the suggestion that we will get 9 games at KP, will it be Richmond coming to KP again, along with perhaps Carlton? You'd think we'll have a home game against Hawthorn at G, and perhaps this year we'll get the Country Game as our home game there vs Essendon, given they've had it the last two years.

Is 9 home games at KP too much to ask, especially when Fremantle get 13 games at the new Perth stadium?

Nine games is not too much to ask, but judging from your finals performance I think Geelong would benefit from playing more games at the MCG.

3 double ups against teams that missed the finals. That's a soft as butter draw for a team that finished 2nd on the ladder.

Wow that's a pretty soft draw if that's going to be your double ups

Remove this Banner Ad

Back