Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, it is you that is missing the point.

Without Kardinia Park we are no longer a football club so the 'poor club' argument is rather moot at that point.

You really think Geelong/Surf Coast based fans would sign on as members for a Melbourne based Cats club? Not likely.

You are still missing the point. It's not about Kardinia Park the location, it's about the stadium deal that Kardinia Park provides Geelong. Leave everything the same and bring the Kardinia stadium deal in line with Etihad, and Geelong are down with the smaller clubs in terms of finances.

In case you didn't read the post i originally replied to, i suggest you do, because it is relevant to what i'm talking about.

You are still missing the point. It's not about Kardinia Park the location, it's about the stadium deal that Kardinia Park provides Geelong. Leave everything the same and bring the Kardinia stadium deal in line with Etihad, and Geelong are down with the smaller clubs in terms of finances.

In case you didn't read the post i originally replied to, i suggest you do, because it is relevant to what i'm talking about.

Why would we do that?

Pretty irrelevant argument then as it'll never be like the Etihad deal.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-a-hall-of-fame-hypocrite-20140618-zsdn2.html

"He used to lecture every club about the independence of the AFL, yet as soon as he gets back to club land he is singing and dancing and screaming and carrying on," McGuire said.

"He wrote the manifesto on equalisation [when on the AFL Commission] and as soon as he has to put his hand in his pocket, suddenly he goes all cold on the idea ... he [complains that he has] to put his hand in his pocket for $300,000 after everything the AFL competition has done to help Geelong ... that is an insult to everybody else

Oh so Eddie McGuire is having a crack at the AFL allegedly doing something for a club?

Maybe get another, more reputable source.

His point is Colin Carter designed the equalisation tax. From any sane and neutral person, Colin Carter is a hypocrite for complaining about the equalisation tax based on him designing it.

His point is Colin Carter designed the equalisation tax. From any sane and neutral person, Colin Carter is a hypocrite for complaining about the equalisation tax based on him designing it.

Yeah mate, thread's about Geelong being robbed of $1 million, not our gripes with the equalisation tax.

You are a Melbourne based club though, Geelong aren't... This is the argument.
Our home ground is the mcg our old home ground Waverley was taken away we chose not to go to Etihad, what does being a melbourne team have to do with it. 11 home games 4 in tassie 7 in Melbourne sometimes you get 1 at Etihad it happens if you want to find out what the problem is its carlton playing essendon at the mcg every time when they are both Etihad tenants because of the potential crowds fix that and we might not have the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our home ground is the mcg our old home ground Waverley was taken away we chose not to go to Etihad, what does being a melbourne team have to do with it. 11 home games 4 in tassie 7 in Melbourne sometimes you get 1 at Etihad it happens if you want to find out what the problem is its carlton playing essendon at the mcg every time when they are both Etihad tenants because of the potential crowds fix that and we might not have the problem
Being a Melbourne team has pretty much everything to do with it, due to the deal the AFL has with Etihad it, they should either make only Melbourne clubs play home games there which makes perfect sense, or make every club play there ie. Non Victorian teams. This is Geelongs argument and perfectly fair...

It's just like the Bulldogs complaining they never get big games then they complained they had to play at mcg in final when finals are only played at Etihad if there is fixture issues in finals. In 07 we finished 5th collingwood 6th our home ground is the mcg we had to play adelaide at Etihad and collingwood got to play sydney at the mcg because of crowd potential. at some stage everyone gets the crap part of it, suck it up seriously.

Being a Melbourne team has pretty much everything to do with it, due to the deal the AFL has with Etihad it, they should either make only Melbourne clubs play home games there which makes perfect sense, or make every club play there ie. Non Victorian teams. This is Geelongs argument and perfectly fair...
No, how about you and essendon play all your home games there instead of the at mcg against each other and collingwood that's fair considering its your home ground. Because we happen to be in Melbourne means nothing it's not our home ground.

I agree. Vic govt needs to give Geelong another $100m of tax payer money so they can further improve the corporate boxes.

How about this for the biggest disgrace in football - the number of Geelong players buying pubs for $1 from rich backers heavily connected with the club.
Hi Patrick, here's your pub :)

But we can't have carlton and essendon playing at their home ground that wouldn't make sense or it would be detrimental to your team so fairness doesn't matter anymore does it so your argument is rubbish

I'd happily play all home games at Jihad if we got an equitable deal there. Don't want blockbusters or selling of home games...ALL home games at Etihad and a deal that allows us to make money and therefore compete.

I haven't got a problem with afl giving geelong money to make simmonds stadium bigger and better but don't bitch when you have to play a couple home games at Etihad come on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back