Is Geelong home games at Etihad the biggest league-endorsed rort of recent times?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was talking about Vline trains to Geelong.
Yep the Willamstown service can suck but that's all the time, nothing to do with Geelong games.
Yep but the point being it's worse service to willy on a footy night and it takes time to get home from any venue, not just from Geelong. That is just part of the deal and if you choose to go to the footy that is the deal you accept the situation, regardless of the venue. Like the weather or the crowds/queues.
If it's going to be an issue-take the tv option -simple.

So you are essentially saying we should play in Melbourne permanently. That'd kill the club, I understand as Dons fan that doesn't concern you, Essendon has on more than one occasion tried to have us removed, but this is who we are, where we are and frankly where we will stay. We're a foundation member of this damn competition.

Grow the game? We're in a football heartland that's responsible for one of the most talent laden underage footy factories in the country. I don't think growth and attracting fans is a problem this region has.
Nope. I'm saying I'm pissed off more wasn't done with the developments to bring the stadium closer to the level of the Melbourne venues in terms of match day experience.

Also there just isn't the infrastructure to host bigger games down here and because of this a home game split is necessary.
'Growing the game'? Now there is an overrated concept for starters. And It's not one bit like an 80's venue-you are overdoing the disssing.
You seem to yearn for "the good old days" of the suburban comp. That's where my 80s comments come from.

There is a nostalgic charm to KP that i can appreciate in that sense. But i appreciate it as a football lover from another era. Taking people unfamiliar with the game or without those ties and it isn't a good sell anymore.

The league has moved beyond a local comp and will continue to do so.

Agree. Tiny stadium like Geelong. About as easy to get to from Melbourne also apparently
Haha yep-so will look forward to many, many pages of sooking if the tigers ever have to play in Launceston. Doubt I will see that though because it's just Geelong people like to sook about as we apparently are a special case.

Nope. I'm saying I'm pissed off more wasn't done with the developments to bring the stadium closer to the level of the Melbourne venues in terms of match day experience.

Also there just isn't the infrastructure to host bigger games down here and because of this a home game split is necessary.
Blame FIFA's corruption. Win the 2022 WC rights and it'd have been 50k+ capacity.

Haha yep-so will look forward to many, many pages of sooking if the tigers ever have to play in Launceston. Doubt I will see that though because it's just Geelong people like to sook about as we apparently are a special case.

No, I hate everyone equally. And I like stirring cats supporters up most over the final @ the G meltdown this year. It was next level. Very unexpected.

You seem to yearn for "the good old days" of the suburban comp. That's where my 80s comments come from.

There is a nostalgic charm to KP that i can appreciate in that sense. But i appreciate it as a football lover from another era. Taking people unfamiliar with the game or without those ties and it isn't a good sell anymore.

The league has moved beyond a local comp and will continue to do so.
Well 'yearn' is probably a little strong but I sure don't have a problem with smaller venues. Or bigger venues. They are all good. Variety is good-love the G, and love K.Park. The SCG is great. Don't mind games in Ballarat or Hobart. We can embrace different venues. Good for us and the game.

No, I hate everyone equally. And I like stirring cats supporters up most over the final @ the G meltdown this year. It was next level. Very unexpected.
uhuh. Nearly as next level as tiger supporters who voiced long and loud outrage because they weren't allowed to move Geelong's home game to the tiger's home ground. Go figure. Still, I see you got your way next year on that-we will just have to win I guess to drown out the glee.

Blame FIFA's corruption. Win the 2022 WC rights and it'd have been 50k+ capacity.
I think there's been a bit off corruption down this way too, just quietly. A near $200m redevelopment for simply a few more seats. What makes KP world class?

Nobody has yet outlined to me any great bar, cafe, terrace/al fresco area etc

Come on down to the world's cup and tuck into a meat pie mate, bonza.

uhuh. Nearly as next level as tiger supporters who voiced long and loud outrage because they weren't allowed to move Geelong's home game to the tiger's home ground. Go figure. Still, I see you got your way next year on that-we will just have to win I guess to drown out the glee.
No this was just all tv/newspaper sensationalist bs. I don't think there were any Tiger supporters who actually wanted to move a Geelong home game. There were some whinging about it being fixtured in Geelong in the first place, but I don't recall any wanting to move another team's home game just a few weeks out.

I think there's been a bit off corruption down this way too, just quietly. A near $200m redevelopment for simply a few more seats. What makes KP world class?

Who cares. You're there to watch football.

Where is the great bar, terrace, cafe at the G or any other footy ground for that matter?
The G seems to be world class atmosphere etc to watch a game and Geelong is clearly not that, but again, spice of life-viva la difference.
And really, the criteria have to be wider than is it making money etc-there are many factors that make a venue worthwhile. 'growing the game' type of thinking-these are narrow perameters that would benefit from broadening.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can do that at Elderslie reserve. For the AFL to compete with other codes and forms of entertainment it needs to provide a match day experience that is impressive in comparison. Like the experience you can get at the MCG and to a lesser degree Etihad.
You keep overstating this stuff-nobody goes to the other codes-we are not in a competition with it. And really, after meatloaf you can't boast of the entertainment at the afl!

I can do that at Elderslie reserve. For the AFL to compete with other codes and forms of entertainment it needs to provide a match day experience that is impressive in comparison. Like the experience you can get at the MCG and to a lesser degree Etihad.
We're not some country outpost footy ground honking the horn when a goal is kicked.
You're massively overstating it's pitfalls. It doesn't need to be a 50, 60, 70k stadium

Where is the great bar, terrace, cafe at the G or any other footy ground for that matter?
The G seems to be world class atmosphere etc to watch a game and Geelong is clearly not that, but again, spice of life-viva la difference.
Nah mate, the football isn't important, seeing the best in the game isn't important.
We need somewhere awesome to have a drink and eat great food.

While we're at it, I'm going searching for a restaurant that provides world class footy experiences.
It's important that while I'm ordering my steak I can sing the song and watch Paddy D doing his thing. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
https://www.mcc.org.au/mcc-reserve/food-and-beverage-facilities

I love the David Neitz terrace when i'm really early especially when they used to have sausages cooking over coals. You can watch the sunset over the city and put some bets on at the nearby tab before making your way to your seat. Alas, they shut the charcoal bbq down when they opened up the sausage franchise thing, but at least it's another option if you're inclined to to go that way - there's quite a few chain outlets like crust pizza and red rooster chicken. Jim Stines grill sounds very nice. The great thing about the 'G is there is so much to explore. I prefer to grab a roast beef roll when eating on the go, i'll have to try the dining options some time.

Members at the 'G is fantastic for the range of bars from your sit down types to your mass service and informal ones. I sometimes go to the cafe at the far end of level 2 as i find it nicer than the pop up vans...

We're not some country outpost footy ground honking the horn when a goal is kicked.
You're massively overstating it's pitfalls. It doesn't need to be a 50, 60, 70k stadium

Nah mate, the football isn't important, seeing the best in the game isn't important.
We need somewhere awesome to have a drink and eat great food.

While we're at it, I'm going searching for a restaurant that provides world class foot experiences.
It's important that while I'm ordering my steak I can sing the song and watch Paddy D doing his thing. :rolleyes:
Honk Honk.

https://www.mcc.org.au/mcc-reserve/food-and-beverage-facilities

I love the David Neitz terrace when i'm really early especially when they used to have sausages cooking over coals. You can watch the sunset over the city and put some bets on at the nearby tab before making your way to your seat. Alas, they shut the charcoal bbq down when they opened up the sausage franchise thing, but at least it's another option if you're inclined to to go that way - there's quite a few chain outlets like crust pizza and red rooster chicken. Jim Stines grill sounds very nice. The great thing about the 'G is there is so much to explore. I prefer to grab a roast beef roll when eating on the go, i'll have to try the dining options some time.

Members at the 'G is fantastic for the range of bars from your sit down types to your mass service and informal ones. I sometimes go to the cafe at the far end of level 2 as i find it nicer than the pop up vans...
Sunset at Kardinia park is brilliant too. Having a bet? Seriously? Crust pizza? Red rooster? Chain outlets are not improving the experience in my humble opinion. And you object to geeelong being provincial? You are having a lend surely.
The G is great but if every venue was like it, we'd get bored and complacent. And would certainly find plenty to complain about!
It's good to value diversity.

Sunset at Kardinia park is brilliant too. Having a bet? Seriously? Crust pizza? Red rooster? Chain outlets are not improving the experience in my humble opinion.
The G is great but if every venue was like it, we'd get bored and complacent. And would certainly find plenty to complain about!
It's good to value diversity.
So nothing outside a game of footy, chow down on a routleys and meet up with my friends at our seats? I hope we're sitting together...

At least the tiny stands don't block the sunset, i grant you that. There's been some rippers.

I don't think i could ever get bored of the 'G. Would go every week if i could. As i said there's so many options and ways to spend your time in and around the footy.

Im just glad that we are finally away from subsidising other clubs for player games away from AFL contracted and mandated minimum game venues.

11 would be good for the club financially - but 2 home games at the G is fine.

The next step is getting Pies, Hawks and Dons down the highway.

Does not need to be every year - but there is no reason we cant play the Pies at KP and have the G home games be Dons and Tigers one year and then rotate the next year.

The days of any club not playing at KP should be done.

GO Catters

I’ve said all all along I’m happy for all clubs to play down there including us. For that to happen there has to be the same rights for your members as there is for ours. That means no memberships that allow entry to away games in Melbourne and only a couple of thousand seats reserved for you in the worst areas of the ground when you play in Melbourne
You do realise interstate clubs have Melbourne based memberships too, and yet they don't reciprocate the rights to other clubs and their home grounds. It's not a Geelong specific issue. I see what you are getting at, but if the small capacity of GMHBA is of such concern to you, just vote for the party that commits to the final stage of the redevelopment so you can attend in the future.

Mate - any Cats fan will tell you they are rapt to play the Hawks at the MCG

Because before that Hawthorn use to beat us and beat us and beat us and beat us when the games where played at KP - they had an incredible record at that ground - normally by skinny margins and it use to do my feucken head in

Then when Geelongs home game against the Hawks was moved to the MCG - The Cats won 11 in a row - and have won the past 4 in a row -and you are complaining !!!!!

Hawthorn use to own Geel - when they played them in Geel - dont ever want to play the Hawks ever again at KP .
what has games 12 plus years ago got to do with anything? In any case last geelong vs hawthorn game at geelong I went to we won by 90 points and hawthorn were on top of the ladder at the time.

It's Geelong what would they do with themselves if they didn't whinge?
you are like bullys beating a victim and reinforcing to each other its ok and the victim is a sook because you are all being bullys.

geelongs lack of home games and all away finals is the biggest disadvantage in world sport save for the countries who cant play sport at home due to terrorism risk.

I think everyone should stand and applaud how absolutely brilliant the Cats dynasty has been. Having to play finals and Grand finals and win them on a ground that is so totally foreign to them is nothing short of outstanding
about time opposition supporters recognize this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back