Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cool story

Don’t really see how he can be wrong. By the end of next year the previous 10 seasons will feature 3 Richmond flags, 2 Hawks, 1 each for Geelong, Dogs, Eagles and Demons plus whatever the result of next year’s premiership.

The Hawks will have 2 flags, a straight sets exit and no other finals in the decade if they don’t finish top 8. At worst the Tigers will have 3 flags, a prelim and 3 elimination final exits.

Trophy wise they will be the most successful of the decade.

If we were to win again I’d still be pretty happy with 2 flags, a grand final, 4 prelims, a semi-final and an elimination final.

Don’t really see how he can be wrong. By the end of next year the previous 10 seasons will feature 3 Richmond flags, 2 Hawks, 1 each for Geelong, Dogs, Eagles and Demons plus whatever the result of next year’s premiership.

The Hawks will have 2 flags, a straight sets exit and no other finals in the decade if they don’t finish top 8. At worst the Tigers will have 3 flags, a prelim and 3 elimination final exits.

Trophy wise they will be the most successful of the decade.

If we were to win again I’d still be pretty happy with 2 flags, a grand final, 4 prelims, a semi-final and an elimination final.
The question was who is our biggest rival. I dunno what you lot are on about patting Richmond on the back for no reason.

Our biggest rival remains Hawthorn. End of story.

The question was who is our biggest rival. I dunno what you lot are on about patting Richmond on the back for no reason.

Our biggest rival remains Hawthorn. End of story.

I agree but I’m not sure he was arguing against that. He simply said any way you look at it they’re no longer the best team of the last decade and he’s right.

The only sides that are likely to be challenging Richmond shortly as the most successful side of the past xx years are Footscray, Melbourne and Geelong and only of they win the flag next year. Yes, I'm writing off Hawthorn and West Coast.

So let's say Geelong win it next year... then Richmond are the most successful side from 2014 onwards (Richmond 3, Geelong and Hawks 2, whoever else 1) and Geelong would need to win another to match that. That could happen the year after (2024) and Richmond remain "equal most successful" in the past decade (with Geelong), but I'd say then Geelong trump us because recent success > distant success.

It's all just pissing in the wind though when what we all want is to be reigning premiers.

Just having gone through this thread I think the basic summary of it is...

Richmond don't think of Geelong as a rival because
  • 13 >10
  • finals dominance over Cats
  • Geelong are not Collingwood/Carlton/Essendon
Geelong don't think of Richmond as a rival because
  • Richmond don't make finals enough
  • 46-14 H&A record since the early 80s
  • Richmond are not Hawthorn
Think we can shut this thread down now.

I still can't believe Damien Hardwick made the remark at his own club best and fairest about Richmond's track record against Geelong on the biggest stage. Why was he trying to sound like Jeff Kennett making a remark about Hawthorn beating Geelong when it matters. Falcon3518 I haven't seen you post much in this thread which is a better place to discuss this stuff rather than in a thread where the topic is whether Brisbane or Richmond will finish higher on the ladder in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back