Is Geelong-Richmond the new Geelong-Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Thing is,

I am actually barracking for Geelong this year

I mean, we don't want the pies to win it.

Problem is, the cats always go to water when the heat is really on, and the pies play like we do.

I have zero confidence that these all Australian home and away champions can stand up when it really matters, I mean they never do that's the problem

Its because at Geelong, near enough has always been good enough.

So we go to water with 5 wins in our last 13 finals but the team that’s got 5 wins in their last 13 finals don’t?

The last sentence is the funniest part

If near enough was good enough, we wouldn’t be about to win a minor premiership 2 seasons after making a grand final which everyone said would be our last shot at contending would it.

Why would a team for whom ‘near enough is good enough’ keep trying different personnel and trades and free agency and game plans and ruckmen and mature recruits and rookie list elevations etc etc to improve if near enough was good enough?

Imagine if someone said Collingwood think near enough is good enough because they’ve lost more grand finals than anyone? Wouldn’t that literally be a sign that they strive for excellence and achieve something very close to it more than nearly anyone else?

Using your ‘logic’ (not a word I associate with your sub-Peter Griffen level of academia) doesn’t that mean for Richmond near enough is good enough because if they pop up and win something every 40 years they’re happy to be a joke for the rest of it?

How about before you post, you engage your brain, and think about the implications of what you’re writing.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Theyll wave around a percentage to show people how successful they are.

You'd rather be Hawthorn than Geelong, yeah, they're down atm, but they had their era, won all the gold and now they're rebuilding again.

Geelong are the front runners right now, but they're always the front runners this time of year. Then they play someone in the qualifying final, arm wrestle for a half, then the other team powers away and the supporters once again begin to melt on BigFooty and twitter and they're 'surprised' by what has unfolded.

When you get 9 gift games in your own exclusive home ground, the AFL Ladder is a mirage, it's better than the really seems. In September everything corrects itself

No, we wave it around to show the residents windowlickers that ‘we don’t just win games at home’ (we don’t)
We wave it around to show the same people that ‘the cliff has been coming for 10 years but we are still competing.’
We wave it around to show that despite turning over a full list we are still more consistent than any other side.

Ask any cats fan if they are ‘happy’ we haven’t won a flag since 2011 and if our win percentage makes up for it? See how many say yes (I’ll give you a clue: it’s 0).

That doesn’t somehow mean we are wrong to enjoy being in the mix and regularly playing big games at the pointy end of the season. Your club sure as s**t would have been happy with that for long periods

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I certainly want Geelong to win ahead of

Collingwood- disgusting
Carlton - atrocious
Brisbane - could you imagine Robbo with a premiership medal 🤢🤢🤢
Melbourne - they'll pass us on 14 premierships !

Only Sydney and Fremantle are better options than Geelong. These single digit premiership winners don't alter Richmond's standing in premiership winning history.

Cant wait to hear about the 73.2836372% winrate thou

Worst is Dees cause of b2b then cats because of the people on this thread. Rather pies win it imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
But it’s not, is it.

If Richmond’s defence hadn’t kept Geelong within striking distance on the scoreboard you wouldn’t have won the 2020 grand final.

If Bachar Houli hadn’t marshalled your defence the way he did against Adelaide when they were making all the play in 2017 to the point where to this day many people think he was robbed of the norm Smith, Martin’s class would have been superfluous wouldnt it.

Wut? Our defence was leaking goals which is the problem and why we were behind. Dusty said f that s**t we gotta score more and you know what happened next.

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Ironic that you bear the username of a Geelong player with a 3/3 grand final record

He has that player as a username but has Tom Hawkins as his pic. You know straight away the guy is a cooked unit.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
No, we wave it around to show the residents windowlickers that ‘we don’t just win games at home’ (we don’t)
We wave it around to show the same people that ‘the cliff has been coming for 10 years but we are still competing.’
We wave it around to show that despite turning over a full list we are still more consistent than any other side.

Ask any cats fan if they are ‘happy’ we haven’t won a flag since 2011 and if our win percentage makes up for it? See how many say yes (I’ll give you a clue: it’s 0).

That doesn’t somehow mean we are wrong to enjoy being in the mix and regularly playing big games at the pointy end of the season. Your club sure as s**t would have been happy with that for long periods
You wave it around because you are insecure and are trying cope

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You wave it around because you are insecure and are trying cope

Says the bloke who creates and posts in threads on his own board about a side he theoretically shouldn’t have any need to worry about.

What are we trying to cope with mate? 22 blokes we’ve mostly never met kicking a ball around?
Help me out here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Black Saab

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
whatever helps you sleep at night
Fair enough Woj, just needling ya.

Actually, your whole crew were MIA last night and all of you put in your best work post match so it was strangely quiet. For such unbiased footy loving types as you lot, I would have thought there would be plenty to discuss in terms of all the good stuff the Tigers were able to demonstrate last night as well as some decent passages by Port. No?

Wojcinski

Steve Hocking's Polish Friend
Aug 14, 2011
Wieliczka Salt Mine
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair enough Woj, just needling ya.

Actually, your whole crew were MIA last night and all of you put in your best work post match so it was strangely quiet. For such unbiased footy loving types as you lot, I would have thought there would be plenty to discuss in terms of all the good stuff the Tigers were able to demonstrate last night as well as some decent passages by Port. No?
Just had a look, aside from my posts when Geelong played Richmond I've made 8 posts in a Richmond related gameday thread this whole season. I always get reported so I tend to stay away for the most part

dazbroncos

Max Rooke Appreciation Society
Oct 9, 2010
Los Angeles and Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, Red Bull Racing
This is only still going as the Tugger alias accounts want to ry and catch the Cats Hawks mega shitfight thread.

They have about 19 years of continuous posting to catch it.

Wont get there.

GO Catters

Black Haze

Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I remember Geelong had a thing going with Fremantle about a decade ago, similar to to the thing they've had going with Richmond recently. I wouldn't say either of them are/were rivalries though.

Selfield

Debutant
Suspended
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong-Richmond final this year would be massive. Both supporter bases hate each other and the rivalry is there between the playing groups given recent history.

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong-Richmond final this year would be massive. Both supporter bases hate each other and the rivalry is there between the playing groups given recent history.

Oh yeah unfortunately we can only meet in the GF unless we finish 8th, it’s unlikely.

BigVic

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
A Geelong-Richmond grand final is possible. The debate will be settled after the Grand Final should they meet.

Selfield

Debutant
Suspended
May 4, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh yeah unfortunately we can only meet in the GF unless we finish 8th, it’s unlikely.

Final meaning any final, most likely a preliminary final should Richmond be good enough to get that far.

Falcon3518

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Final meaning any final, most likely a preliminary final should Richmond be good enough to get that far.

We can meet in the prelim assuming we both win all our games. Be honest if that happens you would s**t yourself a little especially with Dusty there.

Remove this Banner Ad